Land of the Rising….Pepsi….

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
Another arrival from early February….

DLYHfvb.jpg

MIqfKWy.jpg

Still kind of checking off stuff I don’t have, but have wanted to have. I definitely am relating (at least a little) to those who have talked about having more than double my small collection where, those folks having reached 400 and something watches, it eventually does become an effort to try to add something that feels like a new addition, but I’m still with my much smaller-than-that state of things, still well under the 200 mark, where I still can surprise myself by realizing I don’t have what seems an obvious watch to own, and one of those is a “Pepsi” style bezel on a dive watch.

So, here’s what I picked, the Seiko Sumo Pepsi! AKA, SBDC057

7r04mWN.jpg

:happy::happy::happy:

This isn’t the “full soda can” where it’s half and half on the bezel, but I’ve looked at this one, off and on, for a while, and had more and more come to appreciate it as a way to fill the Pepsi slot.

Coming from years back, I was no Seiko fan, and this is now my seventh one that I love, so, interesting how tastes do change. Further, among Seikos, the Sumo was never one I liked, haha, but, after picking up a newer Sumo model, in green, I kind of grew partial to the whole idea of it, and wanted an example of the prior iteration, especially after Mister Jingles picked up his green machine edition last year (thanks for the inspiration, Sir J!).

As a side gripe, lol, not sure why it has to arrive in the saddest box ever! Seiko does NOT excel at boxing, lol. Cheap, cheap, cheap, and, yes, one does not wear the box, and, my autos go straight into a winder anyway, but I remain aghast at the pitiful effort they put into their packaging.

But, boxes aside, true dive specs as a Prospex model, and the red and blue really pop, so this watch looks as good as it works.

For a tad over five hundred bucks, one would think a bit of coin could go into presentation, yes, but, then again, Seiko is a mystery in where they cut corners, and not just in the boxing, but even as we see here with this not being sapphire, just Hardlex, and it has the chintzy feeling stamped clasp bracelet as well, a bit rattley in feel, with the weirdly awkward dive clasp that unfolds from underneath.

EKqX0cg.jpg

While retaining the same bracelet, my newer Sumo did go to sapphire, and bumped up to their clever 70h PR movement. This Pepsi model keeps the trusty 6R15, with 50 hours.

So, the newer model has its own perks, and might seem generally tidied up as well, with what some have called a cleaner bezel and just slightly smaller (and therefore less cluttered) feeling features. The newer model also has a slightly larger wrist feel. Here they are, to consider the differences.

Cv86EPy.jpg

RMBILVV.jpg

But, I love this one just as much. This edition is pure Sumo, a big, swaddled, brutish warrior lumbering in to do battle, and it certainly has its own charm in how it states its business. I am by no means any Seiko expert, but I like now having both editions of this model, since they each seem to impart their own feeling.

I love the navy color! A great blue. Despite the kind of heavy handed dial, it is nonetheless a small wearing watch, for someone who likes bigger models. The 45mm case feels to wear more near to a 42.5, frankly, and, at just under 13mm thick, it certainly doesn’t impart a sense of a 400 pound wrestler on the wrist (thankfully, from a literal sense, lol), but, that has its own appeal, of course, and even I have grown to appreciate a more classic size that slips under a cuff easily. I have plenty of behemoth watches, so these more traditional ones definitely round out the wearing options.

G2ZSOJy.jpg

0MWnJ0K.jpg

Just an old school aluminum, no lume bezel (other than the pip), but the function is smooth, and everything lined up right on mine. The red seconds hand picks up the red bezel portion nicely, and overall legibility is outstanding, whether diving to one’s desk, or taking a dip in the deep blue sea.

The dial has various moods, depending on the lighting, and, while a sporty look, it keeps that classic dive watch appeal which brings some versatility to where, and with what, you can wear it (although it doesn’t lean to the dressy side as much as, say, my RW Freelancer Diver, or even my very classical looking SBDC061, which was my first Seiko to truly endear me to the brand).

xShHMJp.jpg

LN7a9lX.jpg

I love how the Sumo bezel sinks into the case, and I really like the screw down crown placed at the 4 o’clock spot, as Seiko often does. A crisp date window sits smartly at the 3 position. Finishing has varied surfacing, and it’s quite a beautiful watch in its own right. It certainly is one hundred percent Seiko, and that iconic DNA is what makes it special. It wouldn’t be mistaken for any other watch, and, being a brand fan these days, I like how it makes me feel.

ITfzRk3.jpg

And, of course, the lume is nuts and Seiko really rules that realm. Every time I wear one of these, I am newly surprised at how little exposure to light it takes to fire up the lume, and how long it lasts.

2NaQcOV.jpg

So, that makes Seiko number 7! (Well, seven that I like, haha – my original two buys, both kinetic models, pretty much gather dust, which is a bit sad.).

Thanks to my Aragon Superjet, my beverage choice now includes both Coke and Pepsi!

IP5GSV3.jpg

A tour of my other Seikos:

BQnIkKj.jpg

PYSWWgp.jpg

mqeILlN.jpg

And, finally, my new Seiko in its winder home with its Sumo brother!

EvOiJm0.jpg

Keep on watching! :)

Everything seems to line up for your Seiko Sumo Pepsi. The misaligned bezel would drive me bonkers.
Always liked the Pepsi color combination and the off-set crown. Wear in best WIT health!

Thanks, and yes, usually I ask the Seller to check, before I order a Seiko, but this was his last one, and fortunately no issues of anything off kilter, so it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom