🎧 What I'm listening to...

GREAT stuff, Mike. The La Bamba was AWESOME!! Thank you, my friend.
R.I.P. Bill Withers. Your music lives on.

Thanks G. I hope all is well my friend with everyone there. Thanks for the stuff man, always some of the best medicine in the world.

SEATTLE

Lee Oskar Live From Seattle | April 8, 2020 | #stayhomewithPFC

Started streaming 87 minutes ago (Apr 8, 2020)

Danish born Lee Oskar is a world-renowned harmonica virtuoso, composer, producer, visual artist, musical explorer and manufacturer of Lee Oskar Harmonicas. Oskar shares his signature music with loyal fans around the globe, featuring new arrangements, innovative compositions and well-loved hits. In Oskar’s iconic role as a founding member and lead harmonica player for the pioneer funk/jazz band, WAR, Lee and his colleagues composed and recorded such hits as “Low Rider,” “Spill the Wine,” “Cisco Kid,” “The World is a Ghetto” and many other arrangements that gained them international renown for over three decades (1969-1993). Oskar and his original band mates continue performing today as the LowRider Band. Lee also performs his individual compositions locally and around the world with some of the most outstanding musicians selected from the Pacific Northwest as Lee Oskar & Friends. Check him out at https://leeoskar.com

Playing For Change

Help support our Playing For Change Foundation students and teachers around the world, and ensure they have the resources they need during this difficult time. Donate any amount via the live chat or click the blue 'DONATE' button between April 8 through April 22nd to enter to win a free set of 4 signed Lee Oskar Harmonicas + 1 limited-edition Grandpa Elliott harmonica. Submit your entry by emailing a copy of your donation confirmation to [email protected] and the lucky winner will be announced on social media on April 27th. #stayhomewithPFC

That man has made me laugh and made me cry over the years. One of the best song writers ever.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/20...C=eb_200408.nl

John Prine, the ingenious singer-songwriter who explored the heartbreaks, indignities and absurdities of everyday life in “Angel from Montgomery,” “Sam Stone,” “Hello in There” and scores of other indelible tunes, died Tuesday at the age of 73.

His family announced his death from complications from the coronavirus; he died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee, where he had been hospitalized last month.

Prine began playing as a young Army veteran who invented songs to fight boredom while delivering the U.S. mail in Maywood, Illinois. He and his friend, folk singer Steve Goodman, were still polishing their skills at the Old Town School of Folk Music when Kristofferson, a rising star at the time, heard them sing one night in Chicago, and invited them to share his stage in New York City. The late film critic Roger Ebert, then with the Chicago Sun-Times, also saw one of his shows and declared him an “extraordinary new composer.”

Suddenly noticed by America’s most popular folk, rock and country singers, Prine signed with Atlantic Records and released his first album in 1971.

Apr.10, 2020

Streamed live 75 minutes ago

AATXAJzil56RhWm9IZWw1fUW-eeMvhSJnCuVUiAWGg=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Playing For Change

Give the gift of music by donating to our Playing For Change Foundation via the live chat or blue 'donate' button. #stayhomewithPFC

Playing For Change Band Live in Brazil showcases the band's energetic performance at their sold-out concert at the Opera de Arame in Curitiba, Brazil. Featuring songs such as "Get Up Stand Up," "Pata Pata," and the song that started it all, "Stand By Me," as well as the PFC Band original song, "Matinda," by Mermans Mosengo! We raised enough money at this benefit concert to open a new PFC Music School in Curitiba, Brazil!

OUR PARTNERS:
Audio-Technica—Audio pioneer in high-performance sound design
Established in 1962, Audio-Technica is a worldwide group of companies devoted to the design, manufacture, marketing and distribution of problem-solving audio equipment. Initially known for state-of-the-art phonograph cartridges, A-T now creates high-performance microphones, headphones, wireless systems, mixers and electronic products for home and professional use. For more information visit: https://www.audio-technica.com

Tough Corning® Gorilla® Glass is enhancing the digital life with best-in-class, durable device glass that provides superior resistance to damage from the drops, bumps, and scratches of everyday use. When this durable glass is designed on both sides of a smartphone, it also enables better reception, more efficient wireless charging, and new levels of customization.
For more information visit: https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/...

Playing For Change (PFC) is a movement created to inspire and connect the world through music, born from the shared belief that music has the power to break down boundaries and overcome distances between people. The primary focus of PFC is to record and film musicians performing in their natural environments and combine their talents and cultural power in innovative videos called Songs Around The World. Creating these videos motivated PFC to form the Playing For Change Band—a tangible, traveling representation of its mission, featuring musicians met along their journey; and establish the Playing For Change Foundation—a separate 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting music programs for children around the world. Through these efforts, Playing For Change aims to create hope and inspiration for the future of our planet.

PFC Song Around The World featuring Keith Richards in collaboration with Roberto Luti, Titi Tsira and a number of worldwide musicians on a rendition of his reggae song, "Words of Wonder," off 1992's Main Offender. This video also leads into a cover of Bob Marley's "Get Up, Stand Up," featuring Keb' Mo', Mermans Mosengo, Aztec Indians, Natalie Pa'apa'a of Blue King Brown, and Jamaican singer Sherita Lewis.

Listening to John Prine today. Lost the fight with the damn virus.

RIP.

March 12, 2018 | Bob Boilen --

An American treasure came to the Tiny Desk and even premiered a new song. John Prine is a truly legendary songwriter. For more than 45 years the 71-year-old artist has written some of the most powerful lyrics in the American music canon, including "Sam Stone," "Angel From Montgomery," "Hello In There" and countless others. John Prine's new songs are equally powerful and he opens this Tiny Desk concert with "Caravan of Fools," a track he wrote with Pat McLaughlin and Dan Auerbach. Prine adds a disclaimer to the song saying, "any likeness to the current administration is purely accidental." That song, and his second tune, the sweet tearjerker "Summer's End," are from John Prine's first album of new songs in 13 years, The Tree of Forgiveness, produced by Dave Cobb. It was recorded with his longtime band in Nashville's legendary RCA Studio A. Guests include Brandi Carlile, Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires. There's even a songwriter's co-credit with Phil Spector. For this Tiny Desk Concert John Prine also reaches back to his great "kiss-off" song from 1991 called "All the Best," and then plays "Souvenirs," a song intended for his debut full-length but released the following year on his 1972 album Diamonds in the Rough. It's just one of the many sentimental ballads Prine has gifted us. Over the years, his voice has become gruffer and deeper, due in part to his battle with squamous cell cancer on the right side of his neck, all of which makes this song about memories slipping by feel all the more powerful and sad. "Broken hearts and dirty windows Make life difficult to see That's why last night and this mornin' Always look the same to me I hate reading old love letters For they always bring me tears I can't forgive the way they rob me Of my sweetheart's souvenirs"

Apr 11, 2020

NPR Music

The Tiny Desk is working from home for the foreseeable future. Introducing NPR Music's Tiny Desk (Home) Concerts, bringing you performances from across the country and the world. It's the same spirit — stripped-down sets, an intimate setting — just a different space.

Every time I saw John Prine perform, he invited friends to join him. The outpouring of love and respect has always been so profound. And so when John Prine died on April 7 from complications related to COVID-19, I knew his friends and those he touched would want to pay tribute to him. Here are five artists performing their favorite John Prine tune in their home (or bathtub) in honor of one of the greatest songwriters of any generation.

SET LIST

Margo Price and Jeremy Ivey, "That's the Way That the World Goes Round"
Courtney Marie Andrews, "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness"
John Paul White, "Sam Stone"
Nathaniel Rateliff, "All The Best"
Brandy Clark, "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness"

Feb 9, 2019

CBS This Morning

It's been 47 years since John Prine earned his first Grammy nomination for best new artist. Since then, he's won two. At the age of 72, Prine has never been more popular. His highest charting album yet, "The Tree of Forgiveness," is up for three awards at Sunday's Grammys. John Dickerson traveled to Nashville for this extended conversation with the songwriting giant.

Americana 18th Annual Honors aired on November 23, 2019 on PBS.

Enjoy musical highlights from the eighteenth annual Americana Honors, showcasing the best and brightest in Americana, including Brandi Carlile, Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens, Mumford & Sons, Our Native Daughters, and more.

John Prine was called "the Mark Twain of American Songwriting." He expertly blended the usual with the bizarre, sadness with humor. I think every Prine fan of a certain age had a mixtape or burned CD of some of John's Prine-iest songs. Here's an hours worth of my favorite weird, smart, funny, and unquestionably Priney songs.

0:07 Please Don't Bury Me
2:51 It's a Big Old Goofy World
7:40 Living in the Future
11:17 Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian
14:24 Fish and Whistle
17:21 The Frying Pan
19:07 Christmas in Prison
22:08 Sabu Visits the Twin Cities Alone
27:52 Linda Goes to Mars
30:53 The Accident (Things Could Be Worse)
33:39 When I Get to Heaven
37:17 Dear Abby
41:29 Jesus, the Missing Years
47:57 That's the Way the World Goes Round
51:14 Illegal Smile
54:27 In Spite of Ourselves

Back
Top Bottom