Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are athletes cool or just plain stupid?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, the NFL put an end to OBJ wearing his watch:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...mbq?li=BBnbfcL

The only other NFL player that I can recall that wore a watch during games was the Miami Dolphins punter, Reggie Roby:

He used to wear a watch to time his punts' hang time.

The officiating crew wear watches all the time though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yup Joel, there's a big timer for the game , that is so big, everyone can see how much time his remaining and has past. So they don't need a watch.

Welcome to WatchinTyme, where you don't have to wipe your feet before entering! But don't bother me because I'm on my coffee break!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://www.newsday.com/sports/2-min...tch-1.36106102

The league reached out to the Browns on Monday and told them that their star can no longer wear a watch on the field after he sported an expensive one during Sunday's season opener against Tennessee.

The flashy, fashionable wide receiver wore an orange Richard Mille-designed watch — which retails for more than $250,000 — during the Browns' 43-13 loss to the Tennessee Titans.
    On Monday, league spokesman Michael Signora said while there are no rules prohibiting jewelry, there is a policy "prohibiting hard objects."
    Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said he was not aware that Beckham had on the lavish time piece. Kitchens also said the team will abide the rules.
    "As long as they're going to enforce that with everyone, I'm fine with it," Kitchens said. "Let's just make sure it gets enforced with everybody."
    It's not clear if Beckham spoke with anyone from the league or if he will be fined for his fashion faux pas.
    Beckham, who came to Cleveland in a blockbuster offseason trade from the New York Giants, caught seven passes for 71 yards in his first action for the Browns.
    Known for his style and one-handed catches, the 26-year-old Beckham drove his customized, orange Rolls Royce to FirstEnergy Stadium for Sunday's game.
    Beckham will return to New York next week as the Browns play the New York Jets on Monday night.
    ___
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartandhp

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Cool pic of ODB...you can always tell if it's a pro photographer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’d like to see how he will explain it away if it needs warranty work.
    Stop looking at the world through rose colored bifocals.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dorothyparker View Post
    I’d like to see how he will explain it away if it needs warranty work.
    Nah, they're so dumb, they wouldn't know it was broken. Do you really think they can tell time?

Welcome to WatchinTyme, where you don't have to wipe your feet before entering! But don't bother me because I'm on my coffee break!

8. The Following Like This Post

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Tyme Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bubba Watson the golfer was the first of these guys to sport a Richard Mille while playing. Been doing it at least 5 or more years now. It's great publicity for RM as it's to show the durability and lightness of the watch. Seen one in Vegas and if you like the style or not the watch is a an accomplishment. RM got what he wanted as people were talking about the watch afterwords. Plus Odell got what he always likes, people talking about him. Win, win.

11. The Following Like This Post

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    Bubba Watson the golfer was the first of these guys to sport a Richard Mille while playing. Been doing it at least 5 or more years now. It's great publicity for RM as it's to show the durability and lightness of the watch. Seen one in Vegas and if you like the style or not the watch is a an accomplishment. RM got what he wanted as people were talking about the watch afterwords.
    peeps talking still...priceless advert

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Odell Beckham Jr. to keep wearing $350K watch during games despite NFL rule

"If anybody else would've worn the watch, if it was a $20 watch, it wouldn't have been no problem," Beckham told reporters on Tuesday. "That's just my life. If it ain't this, it's something else. If it wasn't the watch, it would've been the way I'd tied my shoes.

"
    The NFL contacted Browns officials on Monday after Beckham was spotted wearing Richard Mille’s limited-edition RM 11-03 McLaren watch on the field during Cleveland’s 43-13 loss to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday. While Beckham wasn’t fined for wearing the watch, the league informed the team that it has a policy barring players from bringing “hard objects” onto the field.

Beckham added that the watch didn’t violate NFL guidelines on hard objects because it is made of plastic, noting that some players wear knee braces “made out of metal and you don’t see them taping it up, no jewelry on, so I’m good.”

An NFL spokesperson declined further comment on the situation. The league has no rule against players wearing jewelry on the field.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...spite-nfl-rule

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast