Ideapixel Custom Piece Finally Landed...(update post#1 in red)

sota0003

Tyme Master
Founding Member
I got a hold of him last night. He replied to me email very quickly. He was very apologetic. The crash affected his eyes a bit and he thought they were ok but apparently not. He offered to have it sent back and repaired or a refund. Since sending it back may result in it being lost to the universe I took him up on his very generous partial refund. Much more than I would have asked. He also stated he would send me a handmade ammo strap as a gift. Overall I'm miffed but he did make it right. I guess that's all one can ask for in the end. Mistakes happen and he stood up for them so in that respect I'm happy. The bezel....I'm going to do some research to see if I want to try and fix it. I have also reached out to some jeweler friends that don't do watches but might be able to help with skills or advice. The pip I can fix on my own and might do a tutorial here if I'm not too sour when I go to do it. Is it a complete bust? No. Am I miffed? Yes. Will I still wear and enjoy it just as much as if it were flawless? Yes. Please offer any tips for the bezel:) Thanks for listening to the vent everyone

OK the IP finally landed after a 3 month order time. The watchmaker was in a bad car accident a month or so ago so that added some wait time. Having said that I think his injuries contributed to a few issues with the final product. I'll touch on that later.

First impression: I really really like it. I like the different feel of the piece as I don't think I have seen one that has this vibe to it. At 53mm it is a substantial piece but it's not too tall so it is very wearable. No hard edges so it doesn't have any hard rub points. I had to glue the keeper to the strap so haven't worn it more than to take the pics. More on the strap in a bit. So great case shape and comfy fit so far. The bezel rotates. I would have rather had it be fixed but that's ok. The bezel is super smooth but I am afraid it will be easily bumped off center as it moves easily. I'm easy on my watches so it may not be an issue....just splitting hairs. Crown is easy to manipulate and the hands move cleanly. Easy to wind. I like the hands on here a lot. For some the glance test may be more labored but I'm lucky my eyes are good....for now lol. ETA 2824 is silky smooth. Not much else to say there. Great crystal. I asked for a dome like my VDB pieces but got this. Would prefer dome but maybe he couldn't source them...dunno. The dial finish isn't quite asphalt but has some texture to make it interesting. The engraving has a distressed design so it has breaks and weathering in the engraving. The sammich works nicely and the lume under it is spot on. The lume pip is a little uneven looking in the light but sure does glow bright. That is something I can fix/smooth out if I need to later. Ummm...what else. Oh...the strap. I had the strap made by Zepplin-Craft out of Romania. Super CS and a FANTASTIC strap. One of the better ones I've ever had. Super fast shipping. He custom dyed it to make it match the watch a bit better. It is thick and sturdy but quite supple after I worked it just a tad. I would have liked to have seen one keeper sewn and/or glued in but I was able to glue them so just splitting hairs. Over all I will for sure order from him again. For now I have the tried and true skull buckle on there until the custom brass knuckle buckle in SS arrives. Hopefully in the next week or so.

My only real gripe is that he fixed one set of scratches...which are still there but much lighter...and made more on the other side!!!! And not just a small one but several. I would assume he was far behind after getting hurt but I'm kind of pissed a brand new custom watch arrived in that condition. If that was my first piece from him it would be my last but he killed it on the first one....Vlad with the spikes. So I'm guessing he got rushed and wanted to get it out the door. I emailed him about it so I will see what he says. He is in Thailand so shipping it back isn't doable right now. My question to you is: do I just leave it alone and ask for a partial refund or do I try to minimize the scratches????? Any ideas on how to do that without making the finish unbalanced?

Overall grade: A- due to scratches and a bezel that's not tight.

Please share your thoughts good and bad and please offer advice on the bezel scratch situation. Thanks for looking!!!!!!!

49692237106_221278a2fd_z.jpg
564E7163-4EFD-4EA7-B168-8A2876533565 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692280981_0587257db6_k.jpg
9028DB03-2BF4-4E94-A57E-6A0B3E19E72F by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692281331_a94abe2dda_k.jpg
8377319B-80B4-4485-A246-7B039A305A93 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692288331_b1d055c7d7_z.jpg
63087E84-7A13-42D9-84E8-7D9A5A363C15 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692236991_6770370cd4_z.jpg
E1581798-E326-45EC-9108-369C0DD2B1EF by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49691696398_1cd70ba93a_z.jpg
823890AE-3869-4B07-A5F3-255F4A2A9EB3 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692583697_dabc0df09a_k.jpg
835213CF-263C-4AB9-B527-B07330DBCFA3 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692591702_97ef63211c_z.jpg
CCA1410D-F8FE-40DF-AD08-E38DDE96DADD by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692591672_aa66c8ff91_z.jpg
B9089C51-9FD8-4A38-8BB1-70EDAF2ABE6D by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49691748593_14c77bc928_z.jpg
B0A8F36D-104F-47DE-B929-2049958926D2 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692539682_833013e1bb_z.jpg
5EFDD134-FF65-4879-B599-1D0F16BF0C29 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49691696453_850dd1e1c8_z.jpg
0F83064B-25E7-451F-81D1-5EDA64492EF5 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49691696433_1c0d79257d_z.jpg
0F7F569F-10A5-4755-AD5D-41D72B52A014 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr
49692539627_45390b02a2_z.jpg
655EE6E8-34B5-4BDE-9107-3AA47B67FAB6 by Brad Sotak, on Flickr

Congrats. Looks good, but I can sense some dissatisfaction and rightly so. I had the same thing happen with my Kalmar 8000m. I would have gladly waited to receive the design I ordered . It would have been costly and a risk sending it back and chance more issues. I opted to have the hands sent and they weren't right when they arrived. Hopefully you can work something out.
​​​​​​
​​​

The scratches will bug you until you put a few of your own into it. The pip is kind of a mess. Really like the hands chosen and the dial and lume and design overall though is bad-assed. The strap is something else. It's a one of a kind and even with a couple of imperfections it's damn cool and right for your collection.

:dance2:A very impressive looking creation indeed, Brad!:happy:A big congratulations!:up::applaud:

I think she's a beauty Brad...a custom 1 -off... good karma all around as the watch maker was not killed or maimed and the watch is not cursed...

I would wear it often ...a go to piece...work of wrist art...maybe you'll never ding it but if you collide with a door knob you can laugh it off like a bhodisatva

congrats Brad

i really like the hands...and dial... got no dome but i think it is a very nice view ...sometimes i just aint in the mood for dome distortions ...and it's less obtrusive

I might see if I can sand the pip smooth and reapply or I might just take the thing out and fill in the hole with Lume. Custom watch that shouldn’t have to happen but since he’s in Tyland sending it back will be a mess less I just sent it for a complete return. Not sure I’m not dissatisfied though. Maybe if he flicks some money back at me it’ll help with my first world problem

Very true. Blessed to have first world problems right now. Super glad he’s OK. Would rather him tell me he needs a few more months to make it right and I would’ve certainly been down with that

I think she's a beauty Brad...a custom 1 -off... good karma all around as the watch maker was not killed or maimed and the watch is not cursed...

I would wear it often ...a go to piece...work of wrist art...maybe you'll never ding it but if you collide with a door knob you can laugh it off like a bhodisatva

congrats Brad

The watch not being cursed remains to be seen. As far as karma goes, I don't see that coming into play on an honest transaction. Sending something out that is not up to par isn't good for business. Accidents will happen, but sometimes you have to take a pause or else you wind up shooting yourself in the foot causing more injury to reputation.

That is 100% correct. I don’t know that I’ve spent a lot of money with him but I’ve spent a good bit of money with him and after this I don’t know that I can recommend him to anybody else. After the first one I would for sure recommend him and that’s why I bought another watch from. Now Ill find a new guy I guess. I’ll be Curious to see what his response is to my email about the issues. Hopefully internally and with the crown and stem it’s done well. If not PayPal should have my back

The design is way cool! I'm guessing you paid good money for it so for me that becomes a big problem. You paid for a custom watch and got back one with some pretty big defects, that kills it for me. The very noticeable scratches and the uneven pip are the first things you see. If it was my watch I'd have to send it back for a refund or a re-do. But i'm very picky, that would bug the s___ out of me. Inevitably you would put some scratches and dings on that large watch, but it shouldn't come to you that way...

Very cool design Brad, but I'm with Joel on this. I couldn't accept the watch in that condition For a custom watch you paid good money for I'd expect it to be received in new condition.
Granted you'll inevitably put some scratches on it, but they'll be your scratches and you'll probably know how each one got there.

Cool piece Brad. But I would go nuts having the scratches on a custom made watch too.. Overall it's a looker. Congrats

Not to add to your bummed outness :)think:) Brad, but I would be pissed too...having to return something to a foriegn country is a PIA, not to mention a risk that it will actually get back to the guy in Thailand...I guess I would attempt to negotiate a partial refund that would satisfy you...good luck.

Yea I think trying to send it back may be a fools venture. I got a hold of the guy and he made an honest effort to make it better and made it right in my mind. I hold no ill will but can't say I will do business with him again. First world problems suck but are easy to swallow right now. I'll take it for what it is and move forward.

yeah Brad.. no body wants a custom piece NIB scratched...just makin' happy chatter above... getting fair refund and moving on sounds right...like i have posted it's a numbers game... and sell ,ship, buy, enough watches and you'll hit it all ...sometimes lady fortune frowns.. .

Definitely a cool piece, Brad. But you should have got what you paid for, period. Hope you get satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom