RR review added 03/21/20/Calling Aviation Buffs! Spitfire Automatic Pilot Watch

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
42mm case/51mm L2L/13.6mm height/22mm lugs

Mar 3, 2020

AATXAJxC4L-hw932E1su_COV-pCoO50yeKSwsS6NmA=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Long Island Watch

Today we will check out the newly released AVI-8 Spitfire automatic watch. AVI-8 has hit another one out of the park!

Check it out at: https://www.longislandwatch.com/sear...search=av-4073

AV-4073-22-9.jpg
AV-4073-22-10.jpg
AV-4073-22-12.jpg
AV-4073-44-12.jpg
AV-4073-44-10.jpg
AV-4073-44-4.jpg
AVI-8 Spitfire Type 300 Edition, 21-Jewel Automatic Pilot Watch, AR Sapphire Crystal#AV-4073-44

AVI-8 has launched its new Spitfire range of timepieces, with the first model titled the Spitfire Automatic Type 300 Edition. It pays tribute to the prototype Super-marine developed in 1934. Inspired by the lines, form and design of the famed World War 2 era fighter, AVI-8 delivers a unique take on a stylish timepiece that draws from one of the most famous aircraft to have ever flown.

Perhaps no aircraft evokes so much, so quickly as the Spitfire. On its own, this elegant fighter was a national hero and a pillar of the Royal Air Force. It’s cutting edge design and superior specification gave it a fighting edge in the air against enemy aircraft during WW2. Throughout the chapters of the air effort, pilots of the RAF skillfully moved the ever-impressive Spitfire from one battle to another.

In designing a watch that takes its cues from the Spitfire, AVI-8 has looked at both the obvious and subtle details of its design and fabrication, purposefully injecting them into this timepiece. A 42mm diameter case is shaped to follow the elegantly elliptical form of the Spitfire. From lug to case body, from the top curve of the convex sapphire lens to the case back and flowing side profile, the Type 300 is an immediate reflection of the Spitfire.

In designing the dial, the AVI-8 team looked immediately to the cockpit of the Spitfire. Taking the clear-cut legibility of the gauges and readouts of the aircraft, the Type 300 uses the indexes, hands and layout as its primary blueprint of the dial. Through intelligent design and spatial arrangement, the outer ring of the dial slopes down to the lower dial’s main platform where a seconds sub-dial site at the five o’clock position is paired with the date display window at the three o’clock position.

The hands are uniquely shaped for utter legibility and precision of readout. Taking further cues from the cockpit, the syringe like hand set has been modified based on the hands used inside the altimeter and air speed indicators inside the Spitfire. Indexes and hands are lavishly layered with high grade Swiss lume for reading the time in low light conditions.

The Type 300 employs a custom modified Japanese made, 21 Jewels movement based on the robustly reliable Miyota 8 series movement. Using only the kinetic power of wearer’s wrist, the custom designed rotor spins to generate a power source that delivers a beautifully honest battery free experience.

The rotor itself is an expression of the skill of the team at AVIi-8, who have carved out a unique birds eye view silhouette of the Spitfire as an ever spinning reminder of the plane that has inspired the watch. Viewed easily through the exhibition see through case back, the rotor, the movement and inner symphony of gears and wheels are a delight to behold as they work together in harmony to power the watch.

Securely holding the case to the wrist, a gracefully brushed solid stainless steel bracelet with solid deployant clasp tapers from 22mm at the lugs to 18mm.
Each watch is also paired with an extra high grade genuine leather strap, offering versatility to quickly and easily change your style.
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
Watch Features:
  • Movement: Japanese automatic (self-winding)
  • Case: Gun Metal PVD Stainless steel, 42mm x 13.6mm. 51mm tip to tip
  • Back: Exhibition Window (Spitfire Rotor)
  • Crystal: Anti-Reflective Sapphire
  • Band: Stainless Steel Bracelet plus additional​ Leather strap. 22mm lug width
  • Water Resistant: 50 meters
  • Warranty: 2 Years

A very cool, standard size, offerings, from AVI-8.:dance2:Thanks Mike.:hat:

Beautiful! I want the green dial. Sadly, the movement is non-hacking.

For me, the coolest AVI-8 design to date.

The AVI-8 Spitfire is a surprisingly satisfying watch to wear, I am not saying it is on the same level as a Rolex Submariner. But within the context of its particular portion of the industry, it offers a lot.

HANDS-ONAVI-8
AVI-8 Spitfire Type 300 Automatic Hands-On Review
Get ready for take-off

BY ROB NUDDS
MARCH 13, 2020
4 MIN READ

https://www.fratellowatches.com/avi-...nds-on-review/

The AVI-8 Spitfire Type 300 Automatic is one of the latest watches from the Aviation-obsessed brand. It also happens to be one of the most accomplished in terms of specs, design execution, and price. I spent a week alternating between two of the four available colorways and here’s what I think about it…

To be quite frank, I’m finding having my preconceptions shattered so regularly quite exhausting. I’ve covered AVI-8 releases in the past, but I’d never had the chance to go hands-on with the brand’s products before. And then, just like buses, two came along at once. I didn’t really start out with a negative view of the brand; rather, I was just a little apathetic. Small, new brands are popping up all over the place. And while I am a huge fan of the little guy fighting the good fight for watch lovers the world over, it often helps to approach these fledgling firms with a dash of cynicism.

The Spitfire is mostly very good.

AV-4073-33-Q_1024x1024.jpg

Why? I hear you ask. Well, as promising as the designs of many a micro may be, there is very often a chasmic disconnect between ambition and execution. More frustratingly still is the fact that this gulf between intention and result is often not discernible from photos alone. Much less is it obvious when a brand provides you with nothing but renders. Once again, the key is research, research, research. Except that’s rarely possible when it comes to microbrands with no showrooms, stockists, or, quite often, stock to speak of. But that’s what we’re here for. To get those products in our hands and communicate the good, the bad, and the occasionally ugly. Great news, AVI-8: The Spitfire is mostly very good.

AVI-8-Spitfire-Automatic-Watch-31.jpg

All about price
Let me preface this review by saying one can never entirely disassociate oneself from the price of a product when assessing its merits and demerits. I always try and look at the product before I have any idea of its price to get a pure, gut reaction. But while the exact figure may be unknown in those first moments, it is easy enough to place most watches in a nominal price bracket after a few seconds of having them in your hands (especially if there is a see-through case back as is the case here).

And so when I say the AVI-8 Spitfire is a surprisingly satisfying watch to wear, I am not saying it is on the same level as a Rolex Submariner. But within the context of its particular portion of the industry, it offers a lot.

giphy.gif

The dial
The dial is really good. Although clearly lifted from an airplane’s dash, the display comes across as quite original, thanks in part to very large and very clean hands. The half-way taper is a really nice touch and I much prefer this still of indicator to many used habitually by bigger, more established brands. But the best thing about the dial is the depth. The numbers tower above their background. Coated generously with lume, the five-minute Arabic markers (showing 05,25,35,45, and 55) are impossible miss, day or night.

I think part of the reason this is such a successful design is that it adheres so stringently to the requirements of a pilot’s watch. It is supremely legible. And it is, thanks to that lume, a lot of fun to read in low light conditions.

38693389_973679526126986_7952344948857110528_o.jpg

Instantly digestible
Cleverly, AVI-8 has used “regular” hour markers for 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, using a double-digit format (02, 04, 06, 08, and, well, 10) to balance the markings with the more prominent five-minute numerals. These “regular” hours have been printed subtly on the dial. They are perfectly usable as hour markers (although more as locators rather than numerical assistants themselves), and yet do not disrupt or clutter the display at all.

AVI-8-Spitfire-Automatic-Watch-49.jpg

AVI-8 is proud to announce the launch of its Spitfire range of timepieces, with the first model titled the Spitfire Automatic Type 300 Edition -paying tribute to the prototype Supermarine developed in 1934. Inspired by the lines, form, and design of the famed World War 2 era fighter, AVI-8 delivers a unique take on a stylish timepiece that draws from one of the most famous aircraft to have ever flown.

It’s cutting edge design and superior specification gave it a fighting edge in the air against enemy aircraft during WW2. Throughout the chapters of the air effort, pilots of the RAF skillfully moved the ever-impressive Spitfire from one battle to another.

In designing a watch that takes its cues from the Spitfire, AVI-8 has looked at both the obvious and subtle details of its design and fabrication, purposefully injecting them into this timepiece.

A 42mm diameter case is shaped to follow the elegantly elliptical form of the Spitfire. From lug to case body, from the top curve of the convex sapphire lens to the case back and flowing side profile, the Type 300 is an immediate form driven echo of the Spitfire.

The crown, with its bulbous shape, subtly references the propeller and its.

In designing the dial, the AVI-8 team looked immediately to the cockpit of the Spitfire. Taking the clear-cut legibility of the gauges and readouts of the aircraft, the Type 300 uses the indexes, hands and layout as its primary blueprint of the dial.

Through intelligent design and spatial arrangement, the outer ring of the dial slopes down to the lower dial’s main platform where a seconds subdial site at the five o’clock position is paired with the date display window at the three o’clock position.

The hands are uniquely shaped for utter legibility and precision of readout. Taking further cues from the cockpit, the syringe like hand set has been modified based on the hands used inside the altimeter and air speed indicators inside the Spitfire.

Indexes and hands are lavishly layered with high grade Swiss lume for adept readout in low light conditions.

The result is a dial that jumps the cockpit to the wrist all while delivering a timepiece that is clearly and undeniably functional as an instrument of time.

The Type 300 employs a custom modified Japanese made, 21 Jewels movement based on the robustly reliable Miyota 8 series movement. Using only the kinetic power of wearer’s wrist, the custom designed rotor spins to generate a power source that delivers a beautifully honest battery free experience.

The rotor itselfis an expression of the skill of the team at AVIi-8, who have carved out a unique birds eye view silhouette of the Spitfire as an ever spinning reminder of the plane that has inspired the watch.

Viewed easily through the exhibition see through case back, the rotor, the movement and inner symphony of gears and wheels are a delight to behold as they work together in harmony to power the watch.

Securing the case of the watch on the wrist is held together by a gracefully brushed solid stainless steel bracelet with a solid deployant clasp that is tapered from 22mm from the base of the lug to 18mm.

Each watch is paired with premium grade genuine leather strap, offering versatility to quickly and easily change your style.

The Type 300 is complete as a reliably sturdy and wearable field watch with clear aviation design credentials.

AV-4073-44-Q_1024x1024.jpg

MOVEMENT
Japan Automatic 2 Hands with Small Second & Date

DIAL
Grey Dial with Applied Index

CASE
Size : 42mm Round IP-Gun Stainless Steel Case
Thickness : 13.6mm
Lug to Lug: 51mm
Crystal: Sapphire Lens with AR Coating

BAND
22mm IP-Gun Stainless Bracelet and Genuine Leather Strap