Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ARAGON« Superjet Damascus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    The brushed gold must be a good looking. If Wing is having brushed anything that is a plus to me. I have seen some nice looking stuff with brushed gold. Its that RED BOX around the date that makes it hurt when I sit
    Years ago (maybe 10?) Deep Blue did a Master 2000 (I think?) in brushed gold with a black dial. I really liked that one, but couldn't swing it at the time, and then they were gone. For some reason this gold Damascus Diver reminds me very much of that Deep Blue that got away! Hmmm, sounds like I'm talking myself into that gold one!

I get the date window controversy, but it's not a deal breaker for me, I see it both ways. I agree not framing the date window would have looked good, and blended into that Damascus steel dial better, but the red does add a color pop and some visual interest, like a conservative dive watch with a red or a yellow second hand. For those who like the watch but hate the red date window, I don't think it would be hard to remove it, or carefully take a black Sharpie to it!

2. The Following Like This Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by watchingout View Post
    Years ago (maybe 10?) Deep Blue did a Master 2000 (I think?) in brushed gold with a black dial. I really liked that one, but couldn't swing it at the time, and then they were gone. For some reason this gold Damascus Diver reminds me very much of that Deep Blue that got away! Hmmm, sounds like I'm talking myself into that gold one!

I get the date window controversy, but it's not a deal breaker for me, I see it both ways. I agree not framing the date window would have looked good, and blended into that Damascus steel dial better, but the red does add a color pop and some visual interest, like a conservative dive watch with a red or a yellow second hand. For those who like the watch but hate the red date window, I don't think it would be hard to remove it, or carefully take a black Sharpie to it!
    I would get that brushed gold. It doesn't seem to come around too much. I like silver and rose gold too !
    ..........Louis.................. .........

4. The Following Like This Post

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    For those who like the watch but hate the red date window, I don't think it would be hard to remove it, or carefully take a black Sharpie to it!
    I can't see spending $550.00 + of my money on any watch and opening the case to take a sharpie to change the color of a date frame. This not only voids the warranty, but a tiny speck of any foreign material can get inside the movement that happens to break free from removing the date window. I have no problem cracking a watch open for a good reason after it's been around a while if it's no longer under warranty.

Some other DB gold

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Still trying to ignore that red frame. Its not easy
    ..........Louis.................. .........

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What red frame?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    I can't see spending $550.00 + of my money on any watch and opening the case to take a sharpie to change the color of a date frame. This not only voids the warranty, but a tiny speck of any foreign material can get inside the movement that happens to break free from removing the date window. I have no problem cracking a watch open for a good reason after it's been around a while if it's no longer under warranty.

Some other DB gold

Lots of folks have posted about taking torches to their crystals to remove the date magnifyers, or changing hands or painting hands to change colors. Just saying if you are confident in doing such mods, modifying the date window should be easy. Of course, if you are uncomfortable with such mods, or with opening your watch watch back at all (which will void any warranty) then obviously, don't do it.

11. The Following Like This Post

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Lots of folks have posted about taking torches to their crystals to remove the date magnifyers, or changing hands or painting hands to change colors. Just saying if you are confident in doing such mods, modifying the date window should be easy. Of course, if you are uncomfortable with such mods, or with opening your watch watch back at all (which will void any warranty) then obviously, don't do it.
    Removing a cyclops or giving a paint job to the hands is done all the time, I agree. Taking the date frame from the dial has a little more involved. You have to remove the movement, separate the dial face from the movement once the hands are removed. At this point it should be a piece of cake if all that's needed is to pop the frame out from behind.

If all goes well and the frame pops out with no trouble, hopefully the date cutout will be nice and smooth with no rough edges. If you were planning on removing frame, the cutout has to be small enough so that too much of the movement won't be exposed or you could wind up seeing part of another date as well.

If that's the case you could always opt to paint the date frame and pop it back in. Someone may not want to go through the steps of removing the hands and dial face from the movement. The Sharpie route is a viable option provided they have steady hands and a pinpoint sharpie. Good luck with the operation if someone should try the project.

Preparing the Existing Dial

All the dials were made using the original dial as a base. The dial was removed from the watch, the existing indices and artwork stripped off, new artwork and indices applied, and the dial reinstalled. This requires opening the case back, removing the crown, removing the movement and dial as a unit, removing the hands, and finally separating the dial from the movement.

Orient dial with indices removed.

The Orient and Alpha dials both had applied indices and numerals, and the Orient also had a date window frame. These were easy to remove by pushing them out from the back using a pin. I saved these parts for possible use in future projects.

With the applied bits removed, the next step was a bath in acetone. This had different effects on the two dials. From the Orient dial, it removed the Orient logo and all the printing (minute indices and “Water Resist”). The dark red transparent base colour was left completely untouched. The Alpha dial on the other hand was stripped clean by the acetone. Both the base coat and all the printed markings came off, almost as a single sheet.

None of my designs called for a date window, but the Orient dial had one, which needed to be filled in. I applied a piece of tape over the window on the back of the dial, and then filled the window with JB Weld (steel-filled epoxy) from the front, using just enough to protrude slightly above the front surface. This would be sanded level later.

The date window has been filled with steel-filled epoxy.

http://www.stefanv.com/watches/makin...h-dials-1.html

13. The Following Like This Post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123