How Detroit Turned Trucks Into Luxury Vehicles

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
American carmakers have often struggled to compete at the higher end of this market

Mar 5, 2020

CNBC

In the automotive industry, the word luxury often conjures images of sleek German sedans and sports cars. American carmakers have often struggled to compete at the higher end of this market.

But in recent years a new phenomenon has occurred. As the overall market shifts away from sedans and SUVs, a new market is emerging for plush, tech-rich, and high-priced premium pickup trucks.

:dance2:Thanks for posting this up, Mike.:hat:

I'm an old school truck guy. Give me a live axle, leaf spring front and rear suspension system and a manual transmission any day over one of those overpriced things posing as "trucks" today. :banghead:

You can believe they are not posers. I've pushed cars out of the way like they were toys who had me boxed in.

Those are some crazy prices. I got rid of one of my vehicles, (the Jaguar) and I'm still driving my 12 yr. old Ford Expedition. I can fold down the 2 rear seat rows and it becomes a pickup of sorts if I need to haul something large or long. I plan on keeping it until it completely dies out...It only has about 125,000 miles on it now.

49624598746_ae580cbe70_h.jpg

49624064143_fd699ef9f9_h.jpg

I drive a 2019 F-150 Lariat Eco with the 502A pack, and it is fantastic. My company buys me a truck every year, so I don't have to pay for it, which is way nice. They do ride as nice as a car sedan does anymore. I was always a large luxury sedan guy, but I have learned to like the trucks. They just make them so damn nice now. My 2020 Lariat black out edition should be here any day, excited to see what the new 20s have changed if anything.

I will say this about these trucks though, they are all ridiculously expensive, and I mean from any brand out there when you are getting them fully loaded.

I drive a 2019 F-150 Lariat Eco with the 502A pack, and it is fantastic. My company buys me a truck every year, so I don't have to pay for it, which is way nice. They do ride as nice as a car sedan does anymore. I was always a large luxury sedan guy, but I have learned to like the trucks. They just make them so damn nice now. My 2020 Lariat black out edition should be here any day, excited to see what the new 20s have changed if anything.

I will say this about these trucks though, they are all ridiculously expensive, and I mean from any brand out there when you are getting them fully loaded.

They do come at a premium price. I paid $50k in cash for my Tundra Crewmax Limited in 2007. I recently gave it to my oldest daughter and it only had about 60,000 miles on it.

Quite the gift. That is still a spendy truck 13 years later with that low of mileage.

If my brain is still working properly, I do believe the F450 diesels can top $100k now fully equipped. its just crazy what they rigs are running. But at least with this you are a getting a diesel. The Navigators and Escalades are bringing over $100k new very very regularly.

Back
Top Bottom