Like SAN’s through the hourglass….

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
Catching up now on my prior arrivals, from early this year:

My pick up of a Swiss auto SAN V, last year, got me on the kick of adding some SAN models I’ve wanted, and that effort carried over into some purchases this year, kind of finishing off the wish list I’d developed, to cap my Invicta spree.

All the buys had been going well, with the exception of the SAN IV on the dreaded “watch me disintegrate before your eyes” poly strap, but getting that SAN IV, and then also a SAN V, both on poly, did convince me to find each model on a bracelet as well.

By way of an update, if you read the SAN IV nightmare story, I still have not conquered the strap issue on that watch, lol. Strap that I ordered direct from Invicta arrived, SPLIT, wow. First time in all my years I have wanted to chuck one of these from a rooftop! Yes, the haters would be amused ahahaha!

A bout of the flu added some insult to injury by way of me missing the return window on the dang strap, as well, but I have ordered some other options, so we’ll see. I may yet see how far a SAN IV can fly, or take a trip to the coast and commit it to the ocean depths. But, the search for a IV and a V on bracelet did turn out well. Invicta sales be blessed, I found both, dirt cheap, and ordered them up!

8xchIOI.jpg

They are both at the lower end of whatever version of quality Invicta had in mind when making them, haha, but, solid and chunky watches, nonetheless. Neither is Swiss made, or Swiss moved for that matter, other than a possible gear or lever once coughed on by a Swiss citizen perhaps, and, in fact, the SAN IV is one that got the “honesty” treatment from Invicta, having its former label of “Swiss Made” unceremoniously removed, due to being one of the models getting the Eyal “let’s call it Swiss” branding massage -- one that was no longer tolerated by the Swiss officials.

So, kudos for cleaning up their act, as the years have passed. Neither is even Flame Fusion, although both are 500m WR models and both sport Day and Date, as well as split time chronographs.

Both have unique bracelets (although the SAN V is the standout) and, as is so often the case with Invicta, the bracelets are heavy duty and of stout quality, with thick, machined bridge pieces for the double locking fold over clasps.

While I do love my autos, I still have a soft spot for quartz, and they are so much cheaper to maintain, with most batteries lasting me quite a few years, and then only costing me 12 bucks, per watch, at the most. And, I love that they don’t need a winder, are always accurate and ready to roll, up to date, no adjusting to grab and go. And, with more than a few watches to choose from, even if one has died, and goes into the battery change bucket, it’s not like it’s my only watch I can choose, so I have never really run into the problem of a dead battery being an irritant.

So, let's take a look.

The Ronda powered SAN IV here is all stainless, with a only touch of blue on the hands and dial, and, despite wanting to find just about any SAN IV on a bracelet, I was fortunate to find a design I really like here, so it was a success.

Ih7oy0F.jpg

LTHe5s9.jpg

This is the 50mm, instead of the 45mm of my “sans” strap SAN IV edition, but I just love the girth and heft of this one. Fat case, chunky bracelet adorned with decorative bits, and the very cool hardware of the crown and pushers all add up, for me, to a great watch. Sits happy on the wrist, and the four prominent bezel markers announce it as the fourth iteration in the Subaqua NOMA series. Usual sad lume, despite being touted as actual Superluminova. Must be the Eyal edition of it?

xHFzP2r.jpg

W48ZR88.jpg

P0A4NPq.jpg

y0dGTH6.jpg

And, the second one….

The Ronda Z60 powered SAN V here retains most of the DNA I love about that model line, and, once more, even though my goal was just to find a quartz model on a bracelet, I found one at a ridiculously pleasing price that has the beautiful blue bezel I admire.

I wasn’t sure about the “Mickey Mouse” kind of face on it, at first, but, on arrival, seeing the texturing and colorization differences of the main dial and subdials, I was pleased, and so it has worked out well. Blue, silver, black and white, all combine together well, for my taste anyway.

QPTYffG.jpg

It has the brilliant bracelet design I love so much on my Swiss auto version, and has the awesome crown and pushers design of my other SAN V quartz with chrono. The five bezel markers announce it as a SAN V, of course and, once again, supreme comfort on the wrist. Lume, is lame, lol, as is somewhat customary here. It’s called “New Lite” but would be better named, “No Light,” haha.

ncsVb6A.jpg

Nm9r5Vp.jpg

UjIQI1y.jpg

WeYQsg1.jpg

ChmdAlt.jpg

W4ruXDo.jpg

Like the IV, it is a beasty watch to wear, and, despite acquiring a handful of smaller watches as the years have passed, and being generally pretty comfortable with a 45mm or so, these bigger designs are still a joy when the mood strikes, as it often does. They mostly are summer watches, really, since none are very cuff friendly, but I haven’t reached a point where I find them too big or too silly. I just like a wrist cudgel sometimes.

So, there we have it. Should it be that I never find a strap for my SAN IV, or should my SAN V on poly give up its strap one day, I now have both editions on bracelet, which has scratched my itch for having both models. I think SAN’s III, IV, and V were all winning designs. If I see any other interesting iterations, I might even pick up another, given how much I’m liking these SAN models, but I’m glad in any event to have found these, especially for cheap.

337Huc1.jpg

Seems wrapping up last year’s list is turning into this year’s list, haha. Ooops! A few more to post, that have also arrived, then it’s tentatively back to the waiting plan, which, so far, is going spectacularly poorly, ahahaha!

Keep on watching! :)

Back
Top Bottom