Sea Charge(r) of the Light Brigade!

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
Well, I have some other stuff to post up, that arrived a while ago now, but I was too excited to wait on sharing my excitement for this one!

Having only found the Aragon brand last year (eternal thanks to WIT!), I am still catching up on models I’ve seen, so, when the sales come sailing in, my trigger finger gets a bit itchy. President’s Day, I promptly fell off the wagon that I’m probably not really on, and made a buy. Re-mounted my carriage, and fell off again, by the end of the same day! So, two new buys resulted.

First arrival, this morning, is this absolute beauty, the Sea Charger, in 50mm, lume dial edition. Just when I think I’ve bought my most beloved Aragon watch, along comes another, and this one not only dragged me off the wagon, but, on opening the box, knocked my socks off as well. It’s always a great joy when a watch exceeds hopes/expectations.

lwn7tUO.jpg

The highlight? The highlight is the fact of so many highlights! Let’s start with the deep dish of that dial – you’d practically need to be wearing scuba gear just to sink your eyes all the way into it.

yLPTfv6.jpg

I opted for the lume dial not just for the fun of the lume, but more so because I just felt the white dial really complimented the high polish finish. The selection of colors that Wing picked to beautify the dial itself are, in my opinion, quite flawless. Lightly blued hands, the green of the applied lumed indices which are framed in the same light blue as the hands, the blood red seconds hand, matched by the red framing on the date window, it’s just wow on top of wow, for me. Red is also picked up on the beefy, screw down crown located at the four spot, with a red logo and red insert.

dAVacmI.jpg

9ve8XhZ.jpg

Check out the sweet design of the bezel next. Details count, and Wing is a master at the little touches that add up to a whole lot of watch. The polishing here is swapped out for a brushed finish, adding another layer of visual variety. Then we have scalloping on the sides of the 120 click, lumed bezel, interspersed by notched cut outs as well on the bezel top. Six screws balanced in pairs at noon, three, six and nine add another element, and the depth effect of the dial is heightened yet further by the slight inward slope of the bezel itself. No shortage of styling here!

xFR2FVs.jpg

JKPIZs1.jpg

Kb7pSBn.jpg

And, speaking of, let’s get to the other stand-out, and probably the main aspect that initially drew me to the watch, which is the stunning “motorcycle chain inspired” bracelet. Holy watchery, and here I thought my Superjet bracelet was the coolest ever? This one is just crazy insane with the cool factor, in my view.

43Ot8fU.jpg

l662z0X.jpg

The sheer complexity of the 14 piece links (picked up on the case ends with echoed decoration) is brilliantly beautiful, enhanced yet more by the eye popping high polish finish. Adjustment was made utterly simple – just unscrew the main bar securing the link or links you want gone, remove, and replace the screw. I really can’t even get over the rugged yet elegant aspect of Wing’s design here.

pJAZr6W.jpg

qmnHPys.jpg

The polishing carries over to the case, which has a tall order of case height, just perfect for a big bold style. The usual Wing clasp, and, honestly, no complaints from me on these budget-minded clasps. The push button deployant device, with fold over safety closure, shuts securely, has micro adjustment, and looks great on the wrist.

FeCzQXJ.jpg

c2xBTJM.jpg

End result of the magnificent bracelet, coupled with the ideal downturn of the curved lugs, is a perfect and very comfortable fit, especially with all the flex the bracelet provides. As Wing said in one of his videos, he works hard to ensure that these larger cased watches fit well, and he certainly delivers on that. It’s a lot of watch, in a 50mm design, but it just does not wear bulky, at all.

ba1s25X.jpg

u43sY7r.jpg

As a fan of bigger, but not too big watches, it provides an idyllic mix that is bold yet practical, imparting a reassuring weight, giving plenty of wrist presence, yet not feeling overpowering or awkward to wear, compliments of the case and bracelet design keeping it well seated on the wrist, as well as the roughly 35-36mm actual dial diameter that kind of shrinks it a bit, visually, so it doesn’t feel like glancing down to a wall clock. It’s large, yet somehow tidy, at the same time. That’s some Wing Engineering!

1x5kZIt.jpg

Usual Seiko engine, the NH35, humming away inside, and visible through the small view port of the exhibition case back. Not that it’s a decorative movement, per se, but I did enjoy, on my recent Hercules purchase, that the case back on that one had much more generous exposure of the engine. Minor quibble, however. I still think it would be awesome if Wing started doing some kind of stylizing of the rotor. Maybe some day.

ycxmpyL.jpg

Finally, the final highlight, of the light!

As has been discussed, it seems Wing used to be more of a lume fan, back in Android days, in terms of the quality of lume used, and, surprisingly, I think my lume dial Invicta has a brighter initial glow, which is a bit sad, considering lume is the LAST thing Invicta is known for, lol.

But, the light show is nonetheless satisfying, here, and the bezel reminds me a bit of my Bioluminescence model, in the brightness of the green. Even so, you can see the somewhat rapid fade over just the course of a few minutes.

ydr27YX.jpg

YYECGMu.jpg

gDEFQ3k.jpg

I’ll toss in a shot of my Invicta, to compare. Fade on that model is pretty rapid as well, so the Aragon certainly wins out in the end, I’d say.

ode326P.jpg

But, again, pretty minor quibbling. It’s just a spectacularly handsome watch that really pulls together a ton of elements to be possibly the favorite of my little Aragon family, which has now sprouted to seven members.

TQ1U9RU.jpg

Another Aragon model will arrive next week. Opted for quartz, on that one, because I am now officially out of space for winders, lol. I managed to find a final spot, for one more winder, and bought one to house this Sea Charger, as well as a final auto that’s also arriving soon, but that’s it, unless I start getting rid of furniture, ahaha.

These last few buys round out the final push from last year’s re-awakening of my watch love, and I’ll soon post up the rest of what has arrived this year – the other Invicta SAN models I referenced, a couple of Citizens, and a Seiko -- as well as what comes next week.

From there, I’ll let my collection rest, and kind of sort through it and see where things are at, for future plans.

Thanks, as always, for a place to share this hobby! :dance2::happy::dance2:

Keep on watching! :)

Another great show and tell Mike...I grabbed one of the 50 LE Pink Sea Chargers a while back...they are really cool and eye catching pieces...enjoy it!

charge of the light brigade...1854 crimean war...tommies on horses against russky artillery...SUICIDE MISSION...to protect the TURKS ...BRITISH ally ,,,huh ?

immortalized as GLORIOUS DEFEAT...think ALAMO bella dino..and CUSTERS LAST STAND...

nice thread 2many... i get vicarious excitement from your threads...i had watch priapus once...see your surgeon

Yes, and the lume is pretty decent, as it turns out. Once I wore it all night and woke up at around seven, still dark, I was pleased to note that I could still read the time.

Thanks so much, my friend! The pink looks great in the vids and pics I've seen. Congrats on yours. I'm a bit late to the Aragon show, haha, but I'm enjoying the finds.

Ahahah, Scotty, always a delight. Yes, I pondered later about my title and questioned its aptness, given that this was not a failed endeavor. I suppose I was speaking more to Tennyson's retelling, the greatness of the commitment, not the tragedy that resulted. Then, it almost seemed suited due to the perception of the failing lume, haha, but, as it turns out, it is still visible by morning, although not brightly, but at least legibly, so a pox upon me for any inference of defeat here.

And, yes, my priapistic watch buying habit needs medical attention, no doubt, but I do sense deflation soon, as I may have gotten it out of my system with this last climactic set of buys....sanity looms around the corner!

serenity now... CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE a cool title got me to befriend google once again... and yes...please see your PA for an horo woodie that lasts for more than 4 hours...

serenity now... CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE a cool title got me to befriend google once again... and yes...please see your PA for an horo woodie that lasts for more than 4 hours...

Ahaha, serenity now, one of my favorite episodes! And, yes, always good to get intervention before something fun becomes miserable. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom