W&W REVIEW: VICTORINOX I.N.O.X. MECHANICAL

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
WAT_241837_S1.jpg

Giant Hunk of Metal

FEBRUARY 7, 2020

WORDS BY ZACH KAZAN https://wornandwound.com/review/revi...-x-mechanical/

The Victorinox I.N.O.X. Mechanical belongs to a very specific category of watch that I like to call the “Giant Hunk of Metal” watch. Some other hits from genre include the Seiko Monster, various all metal G-Shocks, and the Omega Seamaster PLOPROF. When someone says the words “wrist presence,” they’re thinking of watches like this. They have a heft that’s satisfying, an often times aggressive look, and are generally built like tanks. The quartz version of the I.N.O.X. has been around for awhile, and is another proud member of this group, but the mechanical version gives an altogether different impression.

WAT_241837_B3.jpg

The very first thing you notice about the I.N.O.X. Mechanical is the weight. When you pick it up and hold it in your hand, it’s obvious that that this is indeed a “Giant Hunk of Metal” watch, and not a watch that’s simply posing. We’ve all had the experience of picking up a watch, and thinking it feels flimsy or otherwise poorly made. Not so with the I.N.O.X. There’s a density and overall feeling of quality to the case that makes you think it could survive almost any impact, or even cause a fairly substantial one of its own.

Movement

Powering the I.N.O.X. is the tried and true ETA 2824, a durable and reliable movement that is absolutely at home in a rough and tumble watch. The movement’s humble but considerable technical attributes are well summarized here, but in the context of this particular watch the 2824 is as well implemented as a 2824 can be. The winding rotor is signed with the familiar Swiss Army logo, but on the whole decoration is minimal, which of course is entirely appropriate for a watch like this. It’s been said many times, and many ways, by many a watch writer, but the value of a transparent case back on a watch in this price range isn’t to allow for gawking at world class finishing, but merely for starting a conversations about mechanical movements when someone inevitably comments “nice watch.” At least, as watch lovers, we all hope it’s inevitable.

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-INOX-Automatic-aBlogtoWatch-11.jpg

Key features
  • Swiss made automatic movement ETA 2824-2 visible through the translucent exhibition case back
  • With a high-grade Swiss made stainless steel case, a bezel with anti-scratch coating and a protective removable bumper
  • Features a bracelet crafted from exceptionally resilient, patented stainless steel
stainless steel
43 mm

Dimensions
0.5 in
7.1 oz
Details
mechanical automatic
round
43 mm
black
stainless steel
silver
0.8 in
scratch-resistant, triple-coated anti-reflective sapphire crystal
military time
screw-in caseback
screw-down crown
date
see-through caseback
20 ATM/200 M/660 FT

Feb 7, 2020

AGF-l79u5It0wv_qPsmwjgghpFJwZJ2xatiBjUaf7w=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

wornandwound

Today, Worn & Wound Associate Editor Zach Kazan reviews the Victorinox I.N.O.X. Mechanical. Be sure to read the full review on Worn & Wound.

A very handsome, dignified, and distinctive, mid size, automatic, three hand, from Victorinox. Impressive, and stylish.:dance2: Thanks for posting this up, Mike.:hat:

I recently purchased an INOX automatic on bracelet in blue. I love this piece! I have owned more costly watches, but this one is elegant in it's own way. Surprisingly, it is running just -1 spd! I didn't expect that. It is very comfortable in spite of it's size and wait.

I recently purchased an INOX automatic on bracelet in blue. I love this piece! I have owned more costly watches, but this one is elegant in it's own way. Surprisingly, it is running just -1 spd! I didn't expect that. It is very comfortable in spite of it's size and wait.
yeah they used to say INOX tank resistant

reviewer compares giant hunk of metals... weight class...agree INOX chunky monkey

but MONSTER referred to came on the scene @ 40mm....it only shocked because mens was 34mm-36mm 1915-1979 ?

Back
Top Bottom