Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Another niche entry in the MG catalog marks the result of the Big Game

Moritz-Grossmann-Super-Bowl-Kansas-City-Chiefs-Watch-2.jpg

BY ROB NUDDS
FEBRUARY 04, 2020
3 MIN READ

https://www.fratellowatches.com/mori...hiefs-victory/

I’ve been a fan of the movements produced by Moritz Grossmann for a long time. Longer than that, however, I’ve been a fan of the NFL. As the German manufacture marks another Super Bowl with yet another unique piece, I ask myself the obvious question: Do I want it?

Last year I had the pleasure of sitting down with Moritz Grossmann CEO Christine Hutter. Invariably, I turned the subject of our conversation towards the spate of, as I would term it, “odd” limited and unique editions being turned out by the brand. My question was personally motivated by last year’s Super Bowl watch.

That model commemorated the New England Patriots defeating the LA Rams. On paper, this was the perfect watch for me. No, it did not mark a milestone victory for my beloved Arizona Cardinals, but it was a fusion of high-end horology and professional gridiron. As a man who has dedicated his life to learning as much as I can about both the NFL and the world of watchmaking, it should have shot right to the top of my wish list. But it didn’t. Asking myself why set me on an interesting thought path I’d like you to walk with me.

Moritz-Grossmann-Super-Bowl-Kansas-City-Chiefs-Watch-3.jpeg

A talking point

Normally, here on Fratello, we might give unique pieces of this nature a wide birth. Their commercial appeal is limited and they hold little interest for the majority of the Fratelli. But I’m bringing this Super Bowl watch to your attention, not because of the watch itself, but because of the discussion it, and pieces like it can generate.

I love German watchmaking. I worked for NOMOS Glashütte across the train tracks from Moritz Grossmann for three years and I never, ever tired of visiting that hallowed valley of horological significance. I adore the style of German movements and the exquisite finishing typical of the manufactures there. So why am I, a die-hard football fan, not itching to own this model?

Rather than bringing together the best of both worlds, it places one tentative foot in either and comes off somewhat unsure of itself. I want a Moritz Grossmann watch. There, I said it. The work done in the brand’s Glashütte HQ is not just good, but rather outstanding. The movements are stunning and little details, like the hands or the finishing of the regulator, are divine. If you haven’t explored Moritz Grossmann’s wares, you should. But this is not the place to start. This model doesn’t express the brand’s wonderful work. It is a talking point, yes, but it generates the kind of talk that I would rather avoid if I were trying to build a relatively-unknown brand’s reputation on the world stage.

Moritz-Grossmann-Super-Bowl-Kansas-City-Chiefs-Watch-5.jpg

Moritz-Grossmann-Super-Bowl-Kansas-City-Chiefs-Watch-4.jpg

WATCH SPECIFICATIONS

Brand
Moritz Grossmann
Model
Super Bowl LIV Kansas City Chiefs
Dial
Stainless steel, black rhodium-plated
Case Material
Three-part, precious metal
Case Dimensions
Diameter: 41.0 mm. Height: 11.35 mm
Crystal
Sapphire crystal
Case Back
Sapphire display back
Movement
Manufactory calibre 100.1, manual winding, regulated in five positions
Strap
Hand-stitched alligator leather with prong buckle in stainless steel
Functions
Time-only
Price
€16,700 excl. VAT
Special Note(s)
Shock-resistant Grossmann balance with 4 inertia screws and 2 poising screws, Nivarox 1 balance spring with No. 80 Breguet terminal curve, Gustav Gerstenberger geometry. Available in the USA. Unique piece.​​​​​​​

I normally don't like team watches bur this one is understated and classy. Well designed

Neat but good luck with the sales numbers. Chiefs merchandise is not way up there on the NFL sales charts that I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom