SAN V, sans problèmes….

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
Well, no problems yet, haha, but another poly strap, yes, unwise, but, zero damage or even weakness on this one, and it’s that super soft kind that has seemed to have more staying power. But, here’s the story --

Continuing the SAN odyssey, my purchase last year of the SAN V auto really fostered an affection for that model line.

LRGQsbj.jpg

1nMy53A.jpg

It’s certainly one of my "best" Invicta, from a watch savvy perspective, with the Swiss automatic movement. But, it’s the looks I love, especially the bracelet. One of the best looking “decorative” bracelets, for me.

mMaD2MH.jpg

In terms of cost effectiveness, however, I have to be reasonable now, that this ongoing love with automatics is going to be quite costly, come servicing time and, given the added issue that I really have no more room to put a winder, anywhere (although I’m working on it), it seemed adding another SAN V really meant adding a quartz model.

Also, with the quartz version, depending on which one, the addition of the chronograph is cool (although an SW500 would solve that), along with the “open window” chrono second hand, where day is provided on the dial, in addition to date. It’s a favorite display style that I have on two of my earliest models, including my very first effort at a “bling” watch, with diamonds no less (or sparkly bits of glass at least), which was also my first MOP dial, ever, and the other was my largest watch at that time (still is one of my biggies, and one of the heaviest – kind of the peak of my early years “big watch” craze).

WVGWzaO.jpg

svHjcQ6.jpg

But, to get a quartz SAN V, in looking at what’s out there on the market, it’s a LOT of poly strap models, which was frustrating, since the straps have the minor problem of falling apart at some point. As I said in my SAN IV story, early models I own still are surviving, but it’s definitely a risk and the SAN IV is still missing a strap, although one is supposed to be arriving soon.

But, gotta take the good with the bad, right? So, I found one I really like, a SAN V, on poly, with a navy blue decorative dial offset by rose gold hardware. The black poly strap actually is attractive in looks, against the rose gold, which is a plus. Colors in the right combinations are really a thing, for me, and I loved every picture I could find of this model, with blue, black, and rose gold, with the white accents, all being, IMO, very complimentary to each other.

And, here it is!

f4Ifgea.jpg

6cUJlCS.jpg

OtNdehV.jpg

VKnTmAs.jpg

Basics: 50mm case size, 500m WR, Swiss Ronda movement, cased up in China, Flame Fusion crystal, split time 12 hour chronograph, helium release valve, Superluminova (Invicta’s version, and, honestly I don’t know why it is that there SL is not as good as other SL – I’m assuming they use a very low grade type).

Poly strap on this model is, as I say, the very soft type, not the stiff and somewhat uncomfortable version as on other watches I have, so, it’s very comfortable to wear.

tblzDz5.jpg

Yl8Umkf.jpg

P3my7qs.jpg

s6xZCBx.jpg

nIB0eAz.jpg

In terms of being a SAN V, it has all the stuff I loved on my other one, a few bracelet accent pieces of that awesome stepped kind of design, the five raised bezel markers indicating it as a SAN V, four of which are hollowed (the fifth is lumed), outstanding bezel action, and the super cool multi-piece crown, which folds down flat, when screwed in, but folds upright for setting the time or date and, on this model, with the chrono, it’s a very clever design where the screw down pushers are operated by wheels that extend the pushers outward for use, then retract them down for water resistance.

JmX7gym.jpg

I4pc4wo.jpg

LGgDJ9h.jpg

eBQP623.jpg

I can certainly see why the SAN V won a design award. I think it was deserving.

I also really like the inner dial “beaded” ring, which is meant to resemble a diver’s hose, although it looks a bit to me like a surfer dude’s necklace, haha. Anyway, it all seems very aquatic, and I love it.

mbGO8kh.jpg

DHDzyj9.jpg

So, outstanding design, great color scheme on this one, and my fingers are crossed that the poly will hold up. It does seem, as I say, to be the super soft sort, so maybe less prone to cracking and breakage. Good thing is that replacements are out there, if it comes to that.

Just to back up this poly strap buy, I also found, at Invicta, a SAN V on a bracelet, for 98 bucks! It’s not the same movement, it’s the Z60, so the dial is not as cool, a bit more plain, but still day and date, plus chronograph (although only 30 minutes), that great bracelet, and it has the much loved (for me, anyway) blue bezel! So, looking forward to that one arriving in a week or so.

This last splurge, dovetailing off of last year’s renewed love for watches (thanks in no small part to being here), wraps up my Invicta buys, completing a kind of wish list of models to add.

I also have a Citizen Promaster and Seiko Sumo, on the way, thanks to a bit of extra funds on hand. The Citizen is a tribute buy, and I’ll explain that, when it arrives.

And, that will put me on the path toward saving, instead of spending. I also plan to organize and document my whole collection, and hope to share it here, in bits and pieces, as the year progresses.

Happy Watchery, everyone!

I have to admit...I like that one...I am usually not a big fan of the "additions" to the strap on Invictas...the screws...inserts...etc...but this looks good to me...
:good:

That MOP Excursion is fantastic as well as some of the others you have. I have purchased that Excursion twice now. The one fell apart and pieces got lost, so it is in the scrap heap, but the other one is still ticking away and gets some use. They are a really great looking watch. Congrats on the new Seiko and Citizen you have coming. Look forward to some pics of those. Enjoy all these beauties.

Thanks, yup, these can be overdone, of course, which is maybe what Invicta is even known for (among other things) but some of their designs just really work, for my taste, and are more interesting than established watch designs. Not that I don't have simple 3 handers on a simple bracelet that I love, but, yes, this one looked good to me as well. :)

Thanks very much! I wore that MOP one a whole lot, when I first was so enamored with a big gold watch, ahaha, especially one with shiny bits on the dial! It was a favorite, and always got a lot of compliments. Bling tends to have its fans, in some circles. I later didn't wear it much at all, as my tastes grew conservative, but I'm happy now just wearing what I like, depending on my mood.

I agree, they really pulled it together on the SAN V. The VI had too much going on, for me, with the scales and all that. Still considering a VII, but undecided on the dragon head pushers, haha. Mine SAN V quartz, on bracelet, just arrived, and I'll post up soon. Different movement, so different dial design, but I'm very happy with it, as well.

nice grab & go SAN V beaded chapter ring like a surfer dude's necklace... glad this trigger pull put u on the " path " to savings...may u find enlightenment

Didn't realize yours was gold. I have the gunmetal version. I too have switched to smaller sizes now and have really enjoyed the smaller watch on my wrist for sure.

Back
Top Bottom