A nurse from Bristol who died from cervical cancer who was grossly failed by her doctors who missed her diagnosis and wrongly recorded her smear test

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
4 ways to negotiate down a medical bill

Jan 30, 2020

ITV News

AGF-l79EXY0njV3RYYA2UfkRAeSV864DwRYpkJeu0A=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

A nurse from Bristol who died from cervical cancer last year was grossly failed by her doctors who missed her diagnosis and wrongly recorded her smear test as negative.

Julie O'Connor, 49, from Thornbury in South Gloucestershire, first saw doctors in 2014 for a smear test which was recorded as positive.

She was then seen twice at Southmead Hospital where her cancer was missed on 2 biopsies.

The inquest found if her smear test was recorded as normal the first time, she would not have died when she did.

Jan 30, 2020

CBS News

Individuals facing sky-high medical bills can dispute inflated charges, ask for financial assistance, and more. Here's how to do it right.

giphy.gif

We had a $36,000 medical helicopter bill. Insurance covered $0 of it. I made a few calls, negotiated and pretty much told them what I could afford. We came to an agreement and payed them in full in three months. It was still a lot of money. But far less than the $36k

Biopsy does not always hit the right spot, and even when it does, the cells may not get sucked up into the syringe. So a negative biopsy does not mean the patient does not have cancer. it could mean that no cells were obtain or that the cancer site was not sampled. Cancer doesn't always look different visually, so docs may not stick a needle in the correct area. AND the Pathologist can screw up too. So even when we get the cancer cells in the syringe [FNA] or biopsy, we are at the mercy of Pathology to read it right. I did not watch the above video. It looks too sad. We often say that the only correct biopsy is the one that shows cancer.

We had a $36,000 medical helicopter bill. Insurance covered $0 of it. I made a few calls, negotiated and pretty much told them what I could afford. We came to an agreement and payed them in full in three months. It was still a lot of money. But far less than the $36k

Bunch of greedy pigs. My former chairman had a Nuclear Stress test at Thomas Jefferson U hospital in Phily, before I joined the group. he went there because his hospital did not have the SPECT cameras used in modern day [I was hired to update/improve the Nuclear Medicine section afterward]. They overcharged his insurance by thousands of dollars. He knew this because he is in the same business. He called the CEO to complain, and the CEO tried to laugh it off and state that was what hospitals must do to make up for those who do not pay, blah, blah, blah..and who cares because it's money from the insurance company, not from the patient. This was over 30 years ago, but my chairman explained to him that THIS was the reason that health care cost so much in the US. The CEO was unphased. My chairman then told the CEO that he would be reporting this to the state board of health and a few other agencies. The CEO told him to tear up the bill and forget about it.
Hey, did you at least get a bag of peanuts for the flight?:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom