The SAS GMT is here!

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
So, in sharing my story of acquiring the Green Machine SAS, my initial quest was, of course, a Subaqua Specialty GMT.

And, look what just arrived!

wqEVwqn.jpg

Yes, I managed to find a lonely bit of inventory from an eBay seller who happens to stock a number of discontinued and “rare” models.

They state this is one from Invicta’s “Fusion” line, which is not something I’d never heard, and can’t find reference to, but it is supposedly various models “fused” together for a unique design? Not sure who did the fusing, lol. Watch savvy folks who know Invicta history here can probably clarify that.

In this case, it amounted to finding an SAS on leather, apparently. Most I’ve seen are on the poly, and, indeed, if one looks up this model (12033), it pulls up a poly strapped watch.

Given my awful luck with eBay lately just coming off the scratched model I received (and I will add photos of that scratch, to the Green Machine presentation), plus an absolute nightmare in the purchase immediately following that (which I’ll share in an upcoming post), I wasn’t sure what to expect, and, sure enough, there was grime of some sort INSIDE the crystal!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Not cool. That’s three for three, a historic hat trick of eBay irritation. I didn’t snap a pic of it, in that condition, but basically you could just see a foggy film, under certain lighting, and so the face of the watch didn’t have the brilliance it should.

So, since this is the last of a hard to find model, especially being that it is on leather and not the dreaded self-disintegrating poly strap, and given I wasn’t in the mood not to have the watch I wanted, I cracked out the watch tools, removed the movement, and cleaned the inside of the crystal. And, back in the box for the photo shoot, haha.

It looks like it suffered a water leak possibly? The residue film resembled what I’ve seen when a watch has fogged up due to moisture. Anyway, it cleaned up beautifully, and, since I have no plans to dive with it or get it wet anyway, I’m not concerned. It runs perfectly and I double checked that the sealing ring was in place, when closing up the watch, so I’m going with it.

Basics: 52mm, Swiss Ronda inside, 500m WR, Flame Fusion, Superluminova (whatever Invicta’s sad version of that is!) and GMT, of course.

vxOKVeB.jpg

It’s the plainness of these that I love. I’m a fan of super busy dials too, but also like something quite sterile, like this, just all about being a simple watch, which is nicely offset and highlighted by the slightly complex case design.

831oTaH.jpg

YufWOyK.jpg

That is made even more so with the clever attachment of the leather, hinged where the poly strap would usually connect to the case, adding some extra eye candy. Genuine leather strap itself is of sufficiently decent quality, and the watch sits great on the wrist.

AdiIHRu.jpg

CujC2UN.jpg

4GNF5QA.jpg

m7HXcGn.jpg

The Rose Gold treatment is one I favor, if I wind up getting gold at all, and I like it especially against black, as it is kind of a subtle bling factor, gold but not all the blazing shine, lol, and I have a lot of rose gold models, now that I think about it, more than any yellow gold designs. This one, with the brown leather strap and black dial, is quite handsome, IMO.

AVz6neX.jpg

ADvrV6R.jpg

So, I can cross that one off the list, now that it’s on the wrist!

The next story is a mixed bag of smiles and cries, and my worst eBay story to date, and my first eBay tale of woe too, haha, so, I guess the first was the worst, so stay tuned. Will post it up soon.

Thanks, as always, for reading!

Don’t worry. You didn’t get a defective watch or one with something wrong with it. Just about every Invicta will get that fog on the inside of the Crystal. It’s the outgassing from the plastic parts inside the watch. Pretty much the exact same thing as what happens to the inside of your windshield. If you are small tool savvy as one or two DIY threads about how to take care of it. Super easy fix. Watch looks great!

The crystal haze is nothing new, but it's still a fine looking piece. Congrats, and enjoy!

Thanks John. It's been a good go to, for me, to have something with a different look, that's not too blingy. Granted I do have my shiny gold ones too, haha, so, I'm somewhat hopeless.

Wow, interesting, well, that's a good thing then. First time I've seen it on any watch, outside of an Invicta I once wore in the shower, in a hurry, and had left all the crowns unscrewed. It fogged up, then the fog cleared, but left a film. Movement was not affected. Glad it hasn't happened to any other of my dozens of 'Victers. It was a bit unnerving taking it apart, haha, didn't want to break anything, or make things worse, but it cleaned up and went back together easily.

Yes, glad it was an easy clean up, although a bit daunting, given that I don't often take any of my watches apart, haha.

Back
Top Bottom