Invicta is possibly the most hated watch brand in the world and maybe that's fair because of some of their designs and questionable marketing

I think we have just gone beyond beating, but now burying it, so excellent job here WIT's!

Just what I was thinking bout. Our waxing and waning on certain recurring topics, discussed here and mirror's
life pretty closely. I'm too old to be carrying Big Chips on my shoulders anymore. Too bad we have lost valued
members over this Invicta thing.

How cute are these puppies? Seriously! How cute?LOL
7257e6222a381c8c9ade4f3cc72625fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, that's the key, not buying into the hype either way, for any brand, frankly.

My passionate defenses were against maligning Invicta owners, and also presenting misleading or patently false information simply because someone didn't like the brand. But, that got to be a waste of time, and I found this wonderful place instead, that understands the hobby and welcomes everyone.

Genuine information is what was helpful for me, not brand bias. I avoided my Oris buy for years, literally, based on thinking so-called experts were being truthful in bashing the movement as one that "a junk brand like Invicta" uses. Turns out, it's even more accurate than my COSC watches, haha, so, not in-house, but not a bad movement.

As much as I love my Invictas, I'm very glad, as you've said, to also have expanded to other brands. Given that I took to learning the industry, it feels good to own watches that live up to the standards of higher horology. It even feels good to own Invictas with excellent movements, for that matter.

But, lol, I could spend half a million and still not get spinning propellers and an abalone dial, so, for sure Invicta has its place. I consider it fortunate, in fact, that such an affordable brand is so appealing for me, lol.

Definitely a shame anyone left this community. They should come back. We're all pals here.

Is that an in-house puppy though??? Hmm, I was about to wonder if there are puppy snobs out there somewhere, lol, but realized instantly that, yes, there are. A lot like the watch world, actually, expensive dogs with high pedigree, and fun mutts that are cheap to own.

Have to agree with your points in all your posts on this subject. As for the sometimes goofy designs it reminds me of the old Mounds/Almond Joy commercials. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Ha, exactly. Oddly, for me, "nicer" watches get truly interesting when they start to do nutty stuff, and that's not easy to find even in the tens of thousands of dollars range. More like a hundred grand and up, like stuff from Louis Moinet.

Since, barring lottery winnings, I'm not likely to ever grace those kinds of stratospheric watches, I'm happy with my spinning propellers for a hundred bucks and change.

But, it's nice to strap on something other than an Invicta suitcase, when giving a presentation or for an important meeting.

Not that one needs to descend to the depths of the business card scenario in American Psycho, lol, but the right watch for the right occasion is a good thing.

Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit.
Blessed is the lamb whose blood flows.
Blessed are the sat upon, Spat upon, Ratted on,
O Lord, Why have you forsaken me?
I got no place to go,
I've walked around Soho for the last night or so.
Ah, but it doesn't matter, no.
Blessed is the land and the kingdom.
Blessed is the man whose soul belongs to.
Blessed are the meth drinkers, Pot sellers, Illusion dwellers.
My words trickle down, like a wound
That I have no intention to heal.
Blessed are the stained glass, window pane glass.
Blessed is the church service makes me nervous
Blessed are the penny rookers, Cheap hookers, Groovy lookers.
I have tended my own garden
Much too long.

The majority of Southern duels were fought by lawyers and politicians. The law profession was (as it is now) completely saturated, and the competition for positions and cases was acute. In this dog-eat-dog society, jostling for position and maintaining an honorable reputation meant everything. Every perceived slight or insult had to be answered swiftly and strongly to save face and one’s position on the ladder to respect and success.

Despite our romanticized notion of duels as being fought only over the most grievous of disputes, duels could often arise from matters most trivial-telling another man he smelled like a goat or spilling ink on a chap’s new vest. But they were not spontaneous affairs in which an insult was given and the parties marched immediately outside to do battle (in fact, striking another gentleman made you a social pariah). A duel had to be conducted calmly and coolly to be dignified, and the preliminaries could take weeks or months; a letter requesting an apology would be sent, more letters would be exchanged, and if peaceful resolution could not be reached, plans for the duel would commence.

The first rule of dueling was that a challenge to duel between two gentleman could not generally be refused without the loss of face and honor. If a gentleman invited a man to duel and he refused, he might place a notice in the paper denouncing the man as a poltroon for refusing to give satisfaction in the dispute.

giphy.gif

Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit.
Blessed is the lamb whose blood flows.
Blessed are the sat upon, Spat upon, Ratted on,
I got no place to go,
I've walked around Soho for the last night or so.
Ah, but it doesn't matter, no.
Blessed is the land and the kingdom.
Blessed is the man whose soul belongs to.
Blessed are the meth drinkers, Pot sellers, Illusion dwellers.
My words trickle down, like a wound
That I have no intention to heal.
Blessed are the stained glass, window pane glass.
Blessed is the church service makes me nervous
Blessed are the penny rookers, Cheap hookers, Groovy lookers.
I have tended my own garden
Much too long.

The majority of Southern duels were fought by lawyers and politicians. The law profession was (as it is now) completely saturated, and the competition for positions and cases was acute. In this dog-eat-dog society, jostling for position and maintaining an honorable reputation meant everything. Every perceived slight or insult had to be answered swiftly and strongly to save face and one’s position on the ladder to respect and success.

Despite our romanticized notion of duels as being fought only over the most grievous of disputes, duels could often arise from matters most trivial-telling another man he smelled like a goat or spilling ink on a chap’s new vest. But they were not spontaneous affairs in which an insult was given and the parties marched immediately outside to do battle (in fact, striking another gentleman made you a social pariah). A duel had to be conducted calmly and coolly to be dignified, and the preliminaries could take weeks or months; a letter requesting an apology would be sent, more letters would be exchanged, and if peaceful resolution could not be reached, plans for the duel would commence.

The first rule of dueling was that a challenge to duel between two gentleman could not generally be refused without the loss of face and honor. If a gentleman invited a man to duel and he refused, he might place a notice in the paper denouncing the man as a poltroon for refusing to give satisfaction in the dispute.

giphy.gif

Seems that fellow brought a Bang to a Boom fight. :lol:A great read there, thank you for sharing.

I will freely admit that I engaged in forum duels, at times, for the rewarding sake of proving a valid point, as much as to provide said point for the benefit of other members seeking information on the topic at hand. There's an odd satisfaction in it, constructing a sound argument, but rare that a robust debate can be maintained without someone devolving to mud slinging. Crossing mental swords is actually a lot of fun, with a good sparring partner.

And, in terms of Invicta, it has always seemed beneficial to be educational on both sides, given that is neither a Rolex, nor a piece of junk. I just happened to encounter far more of the latter, than the former. But, I did once encounter the Pro Diver as Submariner position, and equally enthusiastically engaged debating the silliness of that, given that being a soundly built watch (which could be broadly applied to countless watches that are not Rolexes) is the only commonality (other than efforts at theft of design), and even that could be argued, depending on how one defines "soundly built" or to what standard.

Back
Top Bottom