A Quick Water Resistance Guide To Wrist Watches And More Specifically, Diver Watches

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
What does 30m, 50m, 100m and 200m of water resistance mean?

Jan 16, 2020

AGF-l78mkvSNtqNFeZhsmPK5bXbYMkIuiAZCKbX2Kw=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

24Hours At A Time

Here is a quick water resistance guide to wrist watches and more specifically diver watches. What does 30m, 50m, 100m and 200m of water resistance mean? Enjoy the video:)

To some people water resistance is a big deal but since I do not dive any longer it really doesn't matter, not that I ever wore a watch while diving any way. Several years ago I had a bad experience with a fairly new Rolex (gasket failure) while swimming at the beach one day. Fought with the dealer to repair, replace or send the watch back for repair. Luckily the owner of the shop knew me well and agreed to send it to Rolex and they repaired it and were the ones who said the gasket was the issue. They said they replaced the movement and they would extend the warranty another year. After that I stopped wearing any watch in the wate. I won't even wash my hands with a watch on my wrist now because of that. I'll put it in my pocket then put it back on after I dry my hands. Of course I have watches that can go well beyond the depth of a human being and IMO kind of a waste paying the extra dollars to get a watch you would die before the watch lived up to it's depth rating in the real world. LOL He should mention not wearing a watch in a hot tub. Several watch repair guys I talk to say a lot of watches they get in were worn in the hot tub or sauna/steam bath and got ruined. I have to say I sent my Pro Diver beater accidentally thru the HOBART dish machine with 180 degree sanitation rinse and it worked fine after it came out and I couldn't touch it, it was so hot, it spent a few months at the bottom of the harbor until a friend of mine dove down and found it. (I was smart enough to drop a bottle of water with a ribbon tied to it where it fell and it was close) It spent a winter in the snow in NH after it got ripped off my wrist snowmobiling, found it with a metal detector in the spring, yet I still take it off when I wash my hands. LOL

Back
Top Bottom