roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Marc at LIW created one of the best blue dial watches ever

Jan 17, 2020

AGF-l7_QJPrmkhZ2hBB43rWAMdziAkJTfrAI8sU8Sg=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Random Rob

Marc at LIW created one of the best blue dial watches ever

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Islan...

Very nice shade of blue to be sure... But what I find really interesting is the link screws in this bracelet, they are very different from what we normally see. I have sized a variety of bracelets but I've never seen anything like these before. Check out the above video to see them.

6R66agM.png
giphy.gif

It's pretty clever. The head acts as a plug on the threaded side. The bottom side must be smaller in diameter to prevent it from sliding out. I would imagine even if the threaded part should come loose from the rest of the pin, it would still prevent the pin from coming loose and still work.

The bad thing about those 2 piece pins, is that I recently purchased the white dial Islander, and when removing a screw to size the bracelet, just that threaded head came out, but not the pin. Now I have 2 links permanently attached because I can't get the pin out. The good news is that I emailed Marc at Long Island Watch with my issue, and I asked for 2 links and a pin, and he responded right away the he would put a couple links and pins in the mail to me right away. USPS tracking tells me I'll get them Monday.

Thanks Marc! :thumb:

The bad thing about those 2 piece pins, is that I recently purchased the white dial Islander, and when removing a screw to size the bracelet, just that threaded head came out, but not the pin. Now I have 2 links permanently attached because I can't get the pin out. The good news is that I emailed Marc at Long Island Watch with my issue, and I asked for 2 links and a pin, and he responded right away the he would put a couple links and pins in the mail to me right away. USPS tracking tells me I'll get them Monday.

Thanks Marc! :thumb:
:hmm: That was the first thing I thought about. The lugs are drilled so the pin should slide out freely pushing from the other side. I would think if you have something thin enough to go in from the other side you should be able to push the pin out. Sort of like having a shorter pin up to the plug head to cork it like a bottle. I could see if the end that goes in first was threaded and the head snapped off. You would really have to be careful and watch out that doesn't happen. This break-a-way from the top would seem to eliminate that unless I'm missing something.:think:

Marc from
Long Island Watch
12 hours ago

Hey Rob! Thank you!!! I've heard the screw called a "shaker-head". Strapcode uses them in some bracelets as well. It decouples the rotation of the pin and bracelet, so the screws will not loosen.

I'm working on making the slots deeper in the heads :)

You can't go in from the other side, since it's a one sided screw, there is only a hole on one side, the other side is solid.

That's what I was missing, my bad. Thanks for the clarification. Not such a clever idea after all with no escape hatch.

My blue dial Islander is due to arrive tomorrow and with a 7" wrist I'm sure I'm going to have to remove a few links. I've dealt with "shaker head" link pins once before on a friends Strapcode bracelet but didn't know Marc had chosen this system for his Islanders. I'll need to be careful.

Back
Top Bottom