Casio MDV106-1AV

usclassic

Tyme Twister
I did not see a thread about this Casio 200m diver. So as I wait for mine to arrive I was curious how many members here have one and their stories. I have passed this one by in the past but as I have been searching divers lately in higher price brackets this sub $50 buy is a great diversion plus I am looking forward to making a time lapse lume video pitting it against my Iron Annie champ.

It's mentioned in this thread.

https://watchintyme.com/forum/watch-...or-all-budgets

Casio Sports MDV106-1AV
$70, shopcasio.com
The sub-100 price range is slim pickings in the watch world, and though there are a few brands that sell in the category, few are anything that we would ever recommend. This simple quartz-powered Casio is a nice simple option that has a proper 200-meter water resistance as well as a rotating dive bezel. This one would make a fine vacation watch that you won't stress about beating up at the beach or by the pool.

Thanks for that link. Since it has a small date window I am planning to add a cyclops magnifier. Know anyone who has done this mod?

Thanks for that link. Since it has a small date window I am planning to add a cyclops magnifier. Know anyone who has done this mod?

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-crystal-glass-date-magnifiers/

https://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-attach-a-watch-crystal-magnifier/
[h=4]Do you ever feel like the day and date displays on your wrist watch are too small and hard to read? Don’t get rid of your watch, you can easily magnify the display by following these simple instructions to add a magnifier window to your watch crystal.[/h]
[h=3]Tools Needed:[/h]
Step 1

Before you start to apply your magnifier to the watch crystal, take your clean up cloth and make sure that the crystal is completely clean by removing oils and fingerprints.

[h=3]
Attach a Watch Crystal Magnifier - UV_cement_on_paper

Step 2[/h] When you are certain the crystal is clean, take your UV cement and squeeze a very small amount of the glue out onto your notepad. This will give you greater control over glue dispensing.

[h=3]
Attach a Watch Crystal Magnifier - UV-pick_up_magnifier

Step 3[/h] Carefully pick up the crystal magnifier window with your pair of tweezers. Hold it by the edges so it lays flat between the tips of the tweezers.
[h=3]
Attach a Watch Crystal Magnifier - UV-dip_magnifier_in_uv_cement

Step 4[/h]
Dip the magnifier evenly into the glue on the notepad. Do not get any glue on the edges or the top of the magnifier. If you are worried about dropping the magnifier into the glue dot, you can use your pegwood or toothpick here to spread a small amount of glue on the flat side of the magnifier window.

Remember, it takes very little glue to cover the magnifier, and it will easily spread over the flat surface. Start with a small amount of glue as it is easier to add more than clean it off again.
[h=3]
Attach a Watch Crystal Magnifier - UV-place_magnifier_on_crystal

Step 5[/h] Place the magnifier onto the flat crystal of the watch face directly over the day or date display that you wish to magnify. Since the glue needs to set up under a UV light, you can move it around a little bit on the crystal to find the right position.
[h=3]
Attach a Watch Crystal Magnifier - UV-dry_magnifier_under_uv_light

Step 6[/h] Once you are satisfied with the positioning of the magnifier, set the whole piece under your UV light and let it sit for five to ten minutes. Don’t tilt the watch until the glue has had time to set up.
[h=3]Step 7[/h] After the cement has set and the magnifier is securely in place you can remove any excess glue from the face of the crystal with the razor blade. While scraping the surface of the crystal be careful not to press to hard and damage the crystal.

[h=3]Finished[/h]
Wipe the watch crystal off with your cleaning cloth when you are finished and wear you watch again with confidence that you can read the display. To learn more about watch repair, check out our other Learning Center articles.

yep I have read the esslinger instructions. Trying to decide on round or rectangle and size. Will probably buy a few of each size since to try. I have a small uv flashlight to start the curing then will put it out in sunlight to finish the cure.

So I got fooled by Amazon specs which state say 20mm lug width. Learned it is actually 22mm so I had to order a bracelet. I had a 20mm bracelet I planned to use but that is not to be. I will try for an adjustment from Amazon. Did find a nice 22mm bracelet though which tapers to the clasp.

had it...luved it long tyme

You brought the deal you received on that watch to this forums (and my) attention quite a few years ago. If memory serves , I believe the seller was Office Depot and the price was around $30 ish. (I think)....

I also had and loved that watch for a long time until I gifted it to my cousin because he commented on how nice it looked on one of his visits to see me. Good looks and great value.

You brought the deal you received on that watch to this forums (and my) attention quite a few years ago. If memory serves , I believe the seller was Office Depot and the price was around $30 ish. (I think)....

I also had and loved that watch for a long time until I gifted it to my cousin because he commented on how nice it looked on one of his visits to see me. Good looks and great value.

way to do the elephant memory Rog1Weatherman-...yes loved mine until I gifted it to...so many watches...so little tyme

Arrived today so I contacted Amazon about the 20mm lug spec error on their website and they gave me a $10 gift card. I like the watch very well but will be adding the date cyclops and bracelet this weekend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010042.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	671684

Well I looked at the different size cyclops lenses I got from esslinger, fast shipping from them by the way, on the crystal and opted out so I now have half a dozen lenses on my desk and uv cement in my desk drawer if anyone needs them let me know as I don't think I will be using them after all.

So the bracelet arrived, it is a solid link that tapers from 22mm to 20mm at the clasp and it has really transformed the watch upscale in my opinion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010316.JPG Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	672390 all brushed finish with polished sides.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010318.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	672392

I did make a lume time lapse video that makes it look like the lume is terrible but I would say it is adequate being able to read the time all night.

Attachments

• P1010316.JPG
    P1010316.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010318.JPG
    P1010318.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 2
nice bracelet mod from 3 feet away u know what it looks like...the MARLIN looks like EISHAN TANG'S latest sandwich

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_18858.jpg Views:	4 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	672437 That MARLIN has reminded me of an old photo of my dad probably taken in the 50s after his deep sea fishing adventure. Probably taken before I was born or still a baby, he is the first one on the left along with some of his buddies. Back in the day. I know those are sailfish not marlins, but still.....

So now it has been on the wrist 4 days and has neither lost nor gained any noticeable seconds as compared with time.is. A very pleasant surprise and another reason this MDV106 is a keeper.

It's a quartz watch, so that accuracy is to be expected.

"Most watches rocking a quartz movement are guaranteed accurate to around 15 seconds a month or so. ... HAQ's are, thus, thermo-compensated and can detect these changes and adjust themselves accordingly, which typically results in a guaranteed accuracy rate of around 10 seconds per year.Aug 20, 2018"

It is thermo-compensated by my wrist since I wear it 24/7, perhaps I should say thermo-stablized, anyway I checked temps this morning and found Marlin crystal is at 84 degrees my wrist 86, I just got out of bed. The watches in the watch box are at 74 degrees. Anyway still no time deviation after 6 days on the wrist. The quartz watches in the watch box have all deviated slightly faster.

Back
Top Bottom