Rush Drummer Neil Peart, 9-12-52 - 1-7-20

Locoboy5150

Tyme Machine
It was announced today that legendary drummer for Rush, Neil Peart, has died from brain cancer:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ituary-936221/

https://twitter.com/rushtheband/stat...51793247969281

gNWYLMdi2qGqruy9WiUe4X.jpg

It's hard for me to believe that he is gone. Neil Peart was one of the most influential musicians in the world of rock music and I cannot imagine how many hours I spent listening to his music and watching him play live over the past few decades. Countless drummers have listed him as an influence (like his hero, Keith Moon of The Who) and he will continue to provide inspiration in the future.

Though it was pretty well known amongst Rush fans that he was having shoulder pain throughout the final Rush tour in support of the Clockwork Angels album, most of us were amazed at how well he played throughout that final tour. He seemed so healthy and full of life during the shows, even smiling and waving to the cheering crowds, things that he generally never did before.

I am just so thankful that he gave up following in his father's footsteps working at the tractor parts store in St. Catharines and pursued his own dream of being a professional musician. He generously shared his natural gift of playing drums and writing lyrics with the rest of the world and us die-hard, life-long fans are all eternally grateful. Through the magic of music, he will continue on playing and influencing others forever...one of which is my seven year old son who loves Rush too.

May he have peace, and eternal rest, in the hands of the Great Architect of the Universe.

Very sad news. Seen Rush a couple of times live and he was the best drummer I've seen live. I was hopeful that he would get better from his shoulder pain and Rush would go out on tour one last time. So glad I got to see them the times I did. He was a perfectionist who always was striving to get better. When you went to a Rush show you knew they wouldn't dissapoint musically. maybe occasionally you may not have liked the set list depending on the tour, but musicianship wise you were seeing three of the greats at their craft. Going to be missed, but thanks for all the great years.

My age...beyond my talent...time goes by...

Lessons taught but never learned.
All around us anger burns.
Guide the future by the past.
Long ago the mold was cast.”

RIP Neil. All I can say is he was an awesome drummer and lyricist. Saw many time live..

My wife got an Amazon Echo Dot from her friend for Christmas. When she first opened it, I asked it, "Alexa, who is Neil Peart?" It replied, "Neil Peart is..."

Yesterday I asked it the same question and it answered, "Neil Peart was..."

Sad. :no:

This Neil Peart tribute performance was posted on the Rush Facebook group:

Note the lack of a drummer in the performance.

Here's the original Rush version that features Aimee Mann on vocals, the only Rush song to feature a guest singer:

Back
Top Bottom