I can’t tell the Difference...

Invicta has enough of their own designs to sell that separate them from making blatant copies. Any brand can be knocked-off by cheap companies selling on AliExpress. If a company has goals or some integrity other than financial gains. Still make affordable watches, but have some separation from Chinese clones without having to blur the lines. AE knock-off specials selling for $29.99 or lower should not be something they mimic. Parnis is doing the same thing with many of their models, but they don't disguise the fact or have ever claimed to be "Swiss Made" on the dials. Instead, they claim (Swiss grade mechanical watches for 2% of their price, Did you know that 40% of, "Swiss Made" is actually made in Asia?) I believe if it wasn't for the FH Swissness law crackdown not much would have changed for some brands on how they operate. Buy what you like and can afford. Companies need not try so hard trying to blow smoke up anyone else's behind if they have faith in their products.

You can't have it both ways. If I had a nickle for every time they would compare their meteorite dial watches with the "R" brand they were not allowed to mention I'd be filthy rich. Going out and making minimal changes on a "new" old classic design to avoid being in court is something that Eyal excels better with than most. It's a thin line indeed and one slip of the tongue or oversight on TV can cause real headaches, just ask Stuhrling Original LLC and ShopHQ.

https://gevrilgroup.com/blog/swatch-...watch-lawsuit/

any chance to bash the I brand I guess....

smh... if anything is beating a dead horse its that.

obviously Lee posts this in gest but I enjoy actually looking at design evolution.

The Patek is a professed attempt to make a piece to compete with the Royal Oak by AP. And so many brands have jumped into this design language its silly. Most of course don't get bashed for it. But besides the cheap Chinese copies, and the Invicta.

Hublot's whole design language is based off the AP RO.
Maurice LaCroix
Gerrard Perrigaux
Piaget
one could even argue the Zenith Defy and VC Overseas share similar design language.

fashion brands like Michael Kors and Ferragamo, Maserati, etc.

I guess its more interesting to me that we don't talk that must about it. Everyone talks about Submariner copies but with the Royal Oak thing its more like "hey that Gerard Genta was really influential."

giphy.gif
No one is bashing anything or anyone fan boy. I know you worked at an Invicta store, so have at it Hoss. I picked up a few Invicta Sw500 character watches recently. I didn't need you or anyone else to explain what Lee was doing, I got it.
:evil:

I have a lot of homage type watches. I also wish I had the means to buy the originals as they are what I'd prefer. Only bought two watches this year for a total of $125. Having some 300 watches I've got about every style covered and it's all bled into nothing makes me want to buy anything anymore. Yet when I come close to wanting something anymore it's not a direct homage because I can't afford the inspiration. When I first starting collecting I was easily enough happy with an homage to a style I always wanted. Now Some twenty plus years collecting I realize an homage is just that, an homage to something more original, and always more desirable and better made. I have nothing against all the cannibalizing of the watch industry, but I'm not into fooling myself what I have is nearly as good as the real thing. There was a time in the beginning I was naive enough to believe the hype. Thankfully years of forums and my own buying experiences has beat that dead horse out of me.

Back
Top Bottom