Because…watches….

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
So, my last post up for the year, since I’m hoping to finally get a bit of time off from work, and will likely sleep for a week, haha, but what a great year it’s been, in no small part thanks to finding this outstanding community!

This is just sharing some watch related gadgets, because, well, watches, right?!

This was also from all the way back to Black Friday….and from even further back….

First is something I picked up quite a few months ago and hadn’t posted up here, which I just realized, today, in going through my photos. I guess I’d planned to post it, and spaced it off.

dnPLgZq.jpg

Anyway, this watch related buy stemmed from my having a store credit card I hadn’t used in years, and I got the usual notice that some creditors levy, which is that, “Hey, if you don’t use your card soon, we’re closing your account, so spend money with us, or else!” So, I found one of the cheapest things I could get was this rather nifty little clip on watch, from Dakota watches. Kinda cool, I thought…

9ZGozMk.jpg

At twenty bucks, it’s hardly a watch by any standards, I suppose, but it’s a reliable little quartz, even WR to thirty meters, just an aluminum case and mineral glass, but boasts a version of Timex’s Indiglo type technology, it seems.

I just thought it was a cool watch to clip onto my work satchel. It’s a bit oddly built, haha, in that it hangs upside down, when clipping it onto anything, which seems some poor planning. One would expect that, when suspended from the attached clip, it would be right side up for checking the time, yes?!

1ELTS2h.jpg

But, hey, for twenty bucks and keeping my store account open for another five years, until they threaten me again with closing it for non-use, I’m not complaining! It has a cool field watch vibe to it, the electroluminescent glow is neat, and, as a watch fan, it’s a bit of fun gear.

FNzcLmO.jpg

GqlLbL7.jpg

QwqoPcV.jpg

Along the same lines, and thanks to Black Friday, the other item is Aragon’s “Drone” Clock. I first saw this on eBay, when initially exploring Aragon watches, thanks to learning about them here. I mistakenly thought these were four larger wall clock style pieces, in this design, since the pictures had no size reference to them, but they are four quite small watches, apparently meant to emulate a four propeller drone device, which is maybe a bizarre build element, given that this doesn’t fly, haha. But, it looks cool, and I like it.

7CjvfXj.jpg

kcHHCm3.jpg

XPbGkI2.jpg

When I first came across it, months back, it was a bit pricey for what it was, especially once I realized these were just four very small watches, not anything near to even a single wall clock size, once I learned their actual size. So, I had passed on getting it, back then. But, then Black Friday came along....

tx3k8r3.jpg

The notion of this being an actual wall clock, even though it turned out not to be, actually got me looking into watch reproduction style full size clocks. I saw one in the background of a YouTube watch channel once, and thought it was pretty awesome. I’ve since found some to add to my wishlist, a yellow-faced Breitling design, which is even lumed, as well as an Omega Seamaster one.

Anyway, this little four-watch set, which I could use for four different time zones, if I wanted to confuse myself, is about as big as a standard Altoids tin. It is lumed, somewhat well, which is novel, and it’s a hefty chunk of metal, so, a handy paperweight if needed, or just a stand-up desk prop that, again, is intriguing for a watch collector. The quartz are not terribly accurate -- I synced them, some weeks ago, and they are already out of sync.

zDvOAuw.jpg

uTpWFP1.jpg

Price had dropped to less than thirty bucks, and, since I was already on the Aragon website for the aforementioned and reviewed yellow Divemaster III, it was an easy “add to cart,” particularly given that it was the blue-faced edition of it.

Doesn’t suit my wrist, LOL, although I bet Invicta might take a stab at getting a strap on the thing as a new style! But, it does sit nicely on my desk, and makes a decent set of clocks to watch.

7C2K0O4.jpg

yAUFNSZ.jpg

7LCPDgV.jpg

Always a fun hobby, this is, and made spectacular thanks to all you great people!!! :happy:

Have a safe and Happy New Year everybody! :cheers:

Cool Lume on the Dakota, I wasn’t expecting that Congratz!:cheers:

As for the Drone Clocks, WAIT! Yours doesn’t fly you say?:palm:

:think:...Maybe you should contact Aragon:grin:

Flying Drone Clock :pdown:

Ahahaha, yup, I tried tossing it up in the air, LOL, just in case the Wing Engineering aspect of flight was hidden somehow (wouldn't surprise me if he invented some kind of Ironman propulsion!), but, nope, just landed with a thud....

Wing did not give me wings!!!

But, hey, no one's perfect, and he's made some great watches that I'm so happy to have, so all is forgiven!

And, yes, the Dakota lume surprised me as well. Wasn't advertised as being such, when I bought it, so it was a nice little added feature, even if it is upside down ahahahaha!

:grin::grin::grin:

I'm liking that little Dakota a lot, and I do believe it's 20 smacks well spent! As far as its hanging upside-down, that's exactly how it's supposed to be. It's design is based on what used to be called a "nurse watch," which was very popular among nurses, as far back as the 1920's, and up through the 1950's, when its popularity began to wane. They hang upside-down like that to allow the wearer to reach down and pull the watch into an upright position in order to read it. If both hands were busy, it still facilitated telling the time, as the nurse could bend her head downward and more readily see the time from that position. You can occasionally see these watches in old movies, wherein the nurse wears it somewhere on her (usually ample) bosom... :grin:

There are actually a few people who collect these watches, usually nurses who see it as a hobby that contributes to the enjoyment of their profession. I knew a young RN who had inherited his grandmother's collection of nurse watches; he had been adding to it over the years, and had collected some amazing examples, to include a Cartier diamond studded timepiece, an Omega all-Swiss nurse watch, and a very simple bakelite version that had seen service in Germany during the war (it had a rather large swastika on its backside, but was in every other way rather nondescript). He had mounted his entire collection in huge, shadow-box type frames, and had then hung them throughout his house (much to the chagrin of his wife, lemme tell you). They looked truly exceptional, and I always enjoyed the 50-cent tour! :wink:

Okay, so THAT's today's lesson in "fringe horology." Copies will be made available in the lobby, along with sour punch and dry cookies... :nope:

I'm liking that little Dakota a lot, and I do believe it's 20 smacks well spent! As far as its hanging upside-down, that's exactly how it's supposed to be. It's design is based on what used to be called a "nurse watch," which was very popular among nurses, as far back as the 1920's, and up through the 1950's, when its popularity began to wane. They hang upside-down like that to allow the wearer to reach down and pull the watch into an upright position in order to read it. If both hands were busy, it still facilitated telling the time, as the nurse could bend her head downward and more readily see the time from that position. You can occasionally see these watches in old movies, wherein the nurse wears it somewhere on her (usually ample) bosom... :grin:

There are actually a few people who collect these watches, usually nurses who see it as a hobby that contributes to the enjoyment of their profession. I knew a young RN who had inherited his grandmother's collection of nurse watches; he had been adding to it over the years, and had collected some amazing examples, to include a Cartier diamond studded timepiece, an Omega all-Swiss nurse watch, and a very simple bakelite version that had seen service in Germany during the war (it had a rather large swastika on its backside, but was in every other way rather nondescript). He had mounted his entire collection in huge, shadow-box type frames, and had then hung them throughout his house (much to the chagrin of his wife, lemme tell you). They looked truly exceptional, anf I always enjoyed the 50-cent tour! :wink:

Okay, so THAT's today's lesson in "fringe horology." Copies will be made available in the lobby, along with sour punch and dry cookies... :nope:

:man::man::man:

The Master of Horology! Thank you, Sir! Fascinating and educational back story! So, that makes it even more cool, ahaha.

My sometimes semi-logical brain attempted to scrutinize the upsidedown-ness of it all, when I opened it, and the best I could come up with is that, indeed, if it was tugged upright from a dangling position, all would be well with the world, but then I could not fathom where to dangle it.

Just goes to show how confirmation bias can screw us all up! Here I'm thinking of hanging it from anywhere but on ME, so it seems all topsy turvy from that perspective, but it turns out my thinking is quite butt over head on the matter, haha.

I can see clearly now, the rain/fog/mental haze is gone! Thanks Don! :hat::hat::hat:

i like the nurses' watch... when i gifted 1 to my teacher I thought it looked like a hands free " hiker's watch "...as for 4 clocks that won't synch... i think my voices say no

Ha, Scotty, yes, the irregular heartbeats of these four is driving me a bit nuts! The seconds hand doesn't hit twelve exactly, to even aim for true syncing, with two of them, and, while they were in perfect sync for some hours, they are now.....not. But, hey, twenty eight bucks and some Aragon "Desk Swag" haha, I can live with it, I suppose. I think they are Miyota quartzes too, if I recall correctly, so not sure what's up with the inability to stay on track....

Back
Top Bottom