Code RED -- Aragon Superjet

Michael, this was truly an excellent write-up, and the pix were truly superb! This presentation could -- and SHOULD, dang-it-to-cheez-whiz -- stand as a full-on review, and, IMHO, it should be moved over to the reviews section...

One of the things I especially like about your write-ups is that you're not afraid to add the boogers into the mix, and tell about them with complete honesty and openness. Not everyone can do this, especially if it involves a brand they especially like, or even love, in some cases. If something sux like an Electrolux, like, say, that wonky bezel mechanism, you point it out, and without fear. I like that, Michael! And then there's your enthusiasm for the product, even with the occasional booger hangin' out of the 'ol snot locker. It's very refreshing, as many of us old farts -- including Yours Truly - tend to use rather dry, technical/engineering prose to write about our newest wrist-dweller. Dang, you've shown me that I really gotta work on that, dangit-to-chicken McNuggets.

As to the watch itself, count me in as a fan, mon ami! While the 50mm is more than I really want to snap onto my wrist, especially given Wing's proclivity for BIG, heavy watches, our dear be-winged friend has done guys like me a solid, making 45mm virgins, er, versions, dang it, and these both feel and wear much better for those of us who like a more moderately-sized timepiece (GOD, but I LOVE that word!!) bopping and flopping 'round our old wristeroo... (Now, if I could just talk him into making a 42 or even 41mm version for those of us who like our wartchezz on the petite side. Wing, if you're reading this, PLEASE hear my plea; I LOVE Aragon watches, but I sure wish you'd go to a smaller-still third size, as noted above; c'mon, Wingster, I KNOW you could DO it, and WE would reward you with even MORE sales...so, what'cha SAY, hm?)

Well then, to wrap things up, GREAT write-up, superb photo's, and a waaay cool watch that inspired them. And, of course, I want one of 'em, despite my VERY soon-to-be NBZ (No Buy Zone) Status, which is always imposed about this time of year, as we "shift colors" and make our yearly five-month pilgrimage to beautiful Israel, where it's all-but-impossible to have anything shipped to you from other parts of the planet. (On the PLUS side, my stalker is completely unable to track my location through the 'net, thanks to Israeli digital security services. :grin:)

Finally, please allow me to wish you my sincerest CONGRATULATIONS on obtaining this BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL WARTCH!! Enjoy it for many, many moons, Kemosabe! Live long and PERSPIRE!! :wink:

Michael, this was truly an excellent write-up, and the pix were truly superb! This presentation could -- and SHOULD, dang-it-to-cheez-whiz -- stand as a full-on review, and, IMHO, it should be moved over to the reviews section...

One of the things I especially like about your write-ups is that you're not afraid to add the boogers into the mix, and tell about them with complete honesty and openness. Not everyone can do this, especially if it involves a brand they especially like, or even love, in some cases. If something sux like an Electrolux, like, say, that wonky bezel mechanism, you point it out, and without fear. I like that, Michael! And then there's your enthusiasm for the product, even with the occasional booger hangin' out of the 'ol snot locker. It's very refreshing, as many of us old farts -- including Yours Truly - tend to use rather dry, technical/engineering prose to write about our newest wrist-dweller. Dang, you've shown me that I really gotta work on that, dangit-to-chicken McNuggets.

As to the watch itself, count me in as a fan, mon ami! While the 50mm is more than I really want to snap onto my wrist, especially given Wing's proclivity for BIG, heavy watches, our dear be-winged friend has done guys like me a solid, making 45mm virgins, er, versions, dang it, and these both feel and wear much better for those of us who like a more moderately-sized timepiece (GOD, but I LOVE that word!!) bopping and flopping 'round our old wristeroo... (Now, if I could just talk him into making a 42 or even 41mm version for those of us who like our wartchezz on the petite side. Wing, if you're reading this, PLEASE hear my plea; I LOVE Aragon watches, but I sure wish you'd go to a smaller-still third size, as noted above; c'mon, Wingster, I KNOW you could DO it, and WE would reward you with even MORE sales...so, what'cha SAY, hm?)

Well then, to wrap things up, GREAT write-up, superb photo's, and a waaay cool watch that inspired them. And, of course, I want one of 'em, despite my VERY soon-to-be NBZ (No Buy Zone) Status, which is always imposed about this time of year, as we "shift colors" and make our yearly five-month pilgrimage to beautiful Israel, where it's all-but-impossible to have anything shipped to you from other parts of the planet. (On the PLUS side, my stalker is completely unable to track my location through the 'net, thanks to Israeli digital security services. :grin:)

Finally, please allow me to wish you my sincerest CONGRATULATIONS on obtaining this BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL WARTCH!! Enjoy it for many, many moons, Kemosabe! Live long and PERSPIRE!! :wink:

You do me great honor, Wise One! Wont' be able to get my head through the door with such high praise! Then again, I can't get most of my watches through the door, cuz they're so dang huge, so, my head can stay outside with my big 'ole timepieces (and, yes, isn't that a fine word?!).

Yup, I'm pretty enthused on my watches, and I'm glad y'all are okay with going along for the ride. All these years, and all these purchases and still the thrill has not worn off, and it might be for all time that I can still get excited like a kid on Christmas for a watch. Or, I'm just easy to please, haha.

And, yes, one thing that's been wonderful here has been the acceptance of the faults of a watch, without writing it off as a hunk o'junk. My prior forum experience either absolved fanboy brands of any faults, or, for the unloved brands, took any foible and cursed the brand for ever existing. So, I'd credit this community for assisting me in seeing watches more for what they are, warts and all, and it's actually put my mind so much more at ease with what I own, that, yes, a watch can have issues, and still be fun and satisfying to own.

I've known to buy for me, and never for what someone else is NOT wearing on their own wrist, but, here, it's a sensation that's really come home, and I'm thankful for it.

I think part of my occasional disappointment with paying more in the past, was expecting that some more expensive watch would be soooooo much more fantastic, and, with such expectations, disappointments come. And, while that has kept me from dropping a lot on any one watch, I still have my grail hopes (like the Omega Seamaster that was recently posted, drooooool) that tell me to believe that, in a grail universe (Grailverse??), watches exist where the larger price tag equates to timepiece perfection!

I hope to put that to the test, eventually, if life allows. My foray into Oris was probably my most satisfying dry run, so far, which is odd because it was not comparatively over pricey to other stuff I've bought, so didn't feel like a grand leap, price wise, but was a huge leap, happy wise. Haha, and, while being less than half the price of my beloved Breitling, the Oris pleases me more! Go figure. So, it's a strange place, the world of watches.

But, in any case, it is, in fact, that mission to explore the Grailverse, and boldly go where my collection has not gone before, that will drive my own NBZ coming into 2020 (although, as I mentioned to you, I still have a plan to replace a couple of watches I own) with the hope of resisting smaller buys, and aiming for something that will leave my feet bare, due to my shoes and socks being completely knocked off. Here's hoping it's worth the effort!

Thanks, always for your wit and wisdom, my good friend! Enjoy the upcoming trip (blissfully stalker-free, yayyy!) and, no worries, upon return I'm confident you'll make up for any watches that need to find their way home to you! :wink::wink::wink:

reading u...reminds me of...me...LOL...been through all them machinations ...priced out the insurance riders ...but they made no sense to me... always thought about the " opportunity cost " of the premium versus additional acquisitions ... ( insurance companies imho try to deter this insurance because it can be difficult to verify true loss... also if you do file a claim it might affect your algo for premiums )

-also with me..I had a different mutation of the virus which caused me to liquidate my collection with " urgency " 3 times I can recount... without notice I was possessed of the " necessity of freedom from the responsibility of material wrist clocks " ...so I wudda had endless inventories with the insurance co etc.... and I lack ROAD WARRIORS talent for documentation and am devoid of the desire to possess such a meticulous talent ... ...in fact i suck and hate record keeping ...except for death and taxes because those records have been essential since at least the Roman Empire...

-gratuitous unsolicited advice worth exactly what you are paying me...regarding the lower cost models...trade-give-wear before they become hoarder fodder-landfill-or just jacardi...

consolidate and enjoy the core of your collection...and as I have learned and posted ad nauseam ... " I regret nothing " EVA PERONE ON BROADWAY...this hobby has been a journey to the center of myself...I have mused on the nature of addiction and acquisition ...and it's place in evolution ( i seen fellas trigger pull themselves into chapter 7 )

-been fun reading all my buddies posts and not feeling like a patient in an isolation ward...as for time i check my mobile...LOL...happy new year.. I enjoy your horological ruminations...soon we will have to start a FORUM-- HOROLOGICAL LITERARY SOCIETY... thought i saw a mouse running around in that forum

and seriously... my URGENT LIQUIDATION SURVIVAL MECHANISM has come in handy when i moved 3 times in the last 5 years...and as the winds of fashion have blown I now eschew size and prefer LEFT COAST GREGG'S SIZE... and I lost weight stopped eating pizza and the wrist shrunk from 7 3/8 to 7 1/8...put some weight back... 34mm too small... the tides of life the watches keep changing

LOL, yes, I hope to evolve to that next level of watchery, where insanity somehow leads to rationality. While all of mine are lovingly displayed and maintained and kept up, I eventually at least stopped convincing myself that they were "all" getting wrist time.

I've also finally accepted that some buys were totally impulsive and nonsensical, and did not "add" anything to my collection, other than the short term rush of a new arrival, haha. So, it does beget some necessary thinking about what the heck do I even want to own, in terms of watches. I won't kid myself with what I "need" to own, ahahaha. But, does it boil down to just owning a ridiculous number of watches?? Or, can I really mature into a satisfying array that makes sense?

And, yes, documentation ahahaha. I'm so organized in some areas of life, but other areas I let lapse. I have a number of "stacks" of papers relegated to a "stack" area, haha, that likely has most of my recent buys, but, for example, I was trying to look up my Maurice LaCroix buy from many years back, considering to sell it, actually, and it appears it simply entered my collection with no records whatsoever, which is frustrating because it's actually worth something, ahahaha. And, I'm waiting to hear back from the appraiser about what kind of problems that will create....

So, this all does make me think, at least, if the place caught on fire, what watches would I care about? So, yes, a hassle, this "facing my collection/my own silliness" event, but I hope to use it to advantage and consolidation is certainly on my mind. I've rather done the "got a lot of watches" thing, ahaha. Not sure the point of it, going forward, which is part of what's motivating me to deploy a sense of restraint for 2020 and finally aim to get just a few watches I've always wanted and feel I now have an appreciation to own.

This has all been good practice -- the journey, as you put it so well -- and it's oddly been tied to life events as well, so it's all a bit philosophical at times, lol. But, suffice to say, i wouldn't be where I am, or ready to go where I will be, if I hadn't gotten to this point.

I've also had to accept that I own a lot of watches that would just be a pain in the wrist to try and sell, or pawn, or whatever, given that, despite seeing them on eBay (and I'm amazed that used Invictas do seem to sell), it just seems more daunting to try and make any money on them. Then again, that makes me not want to just throw them out, ahahaha! And, some do have specific sentimental/memory value, and do still get worn, so.....yes, time to cull the herd, perhaps and I'll hope to have the strength to do so in a meaningful way.

Maybe I'll take a crack at the eBay thing. Seems the one place I see movement. Or, maybe a trip to the pawn shop with a potato sack full of watches, and hope to walk out with twenty bucks, lol.

When my mom passed, I realized how much of life is just accumulated stuff. When we're gone, it just winds up being a lot for someone else to have to deal with, to some degree. A bit morbid, perhaps, sorry, but, yes, I echo your views on the pointlessness of accumulated "things" in life, and as Eva did not say, but Madonna did, who portrayed her at some point, we are living in a material world. And, that sometimes needs some sorting.

Would be a fun forum, my friend! Watch Philosophy, ahahaha! A Happy New Year to you too! Great thoughts from you, thank you!

yeah 2MANY... re MAURICE LACROIX maybe insurance company would accept an on line trade-in estimate from WATCHBOX.com the place URBAN GENTRY the englishman with an italian name works in PHILADELPHIA

AND about stuff...my ma grew up poor in the depression...so all her accumulations were " treasure " furniture covered in plastic... no marks could be left on tables etc....sad but when she passed...nobody would even take her treasure for free...the market had evaporated for " brown goods " we had to pay to haul away treasure as trash

Hey, ScottyB... WE had a very similar experience when my missus' folks passed away last year. All these 'treasures' my Mom in-law collected for 60-plus years were mostly evaluated as 'dump bait,' which, like you, Scott-O, we had to pay a couple of gents to hail away for a rather substantial fee. THAT is definitely something that SUX like an ELECTROLUX, IMHO...

yeah 2MANY... re MAURICE LACROIX maybe insurance company would accept an on line trade-in estimate from WATCHBOX.com the place URBAN GENTRY the englishman with an italian name works in PHILADELPHIA

AND about stuff...my ma grew up poor in the depression...so all her accumulations were " treasure " furniture covered in plastic... no marks could be left on tables etc....sad but when she passed...nobody would even take her treasure for free...the market had evaporated for " brown goods " we had to pay to haul away treasure as trash

Yes, waiting to hear back from the appraiser who is willing to take this on, to see what to do without receipts. He mentioned something about a market evaluation process. Will be interesting to have any of these appraised that I bought gray market, haha. And, I think a lot of them are no longer even made, or there are new iterations of the particular model. I also heard back from my jeweler, a very good guy, and he said he'll discuss the whole matter with me as well, and might know someone who can help. He also recommended just picking the "worthy" ones.

Idk, my view had always been, c'est la vie, to some degree. If life hit me that hard, I'd likely take it as a good sign to start over, anyway, as has been the case with other tragedies that life has brought my way. At least I'd sure know a lot more about building a watch collection, than I did when I started this unintended journey.

Yes, similarly with my mom, who had some tall tales about her jewelry collection, which turned out to have no value, beyond sentimental. The treasures we keep, odd. I can at least look at things of hers now, without breaking down to the same degree, but the grieving process has been a long one. Life is a trip, in more ways than ten.

yeah we beat this donkey plenty 2Many...meditate on what the collection means to you...and swim in that direction...

after all this tyme ( even being slow witted ) it has dawned on me that i have not made an " investment " ..but i have enjoyed the nantucket sleigh ride ( means when you harpoon a what and he drags the dinghy... MOUNTAIN -FELIX PAPPALARDI made a cool song about it )

NICE!!! I've never been a fan of Android/Aragon's screws in bezels but with etched numerals on the bezel edge, sweet bracelet and classic color combo I could overlook it for that watch. Really great pics, thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom