Hands-On with Christopher Ward C65 41mm Trident 150 limited edition With in-house SH21 caliber

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Five day movement regulated to COSC accuracy with a tolerance of -4/+6 sec for a day

BY TOMAS ROSPUTINSKY
JANUARY 02, 2020
6 MIN READ

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-with-christopher-ward-c65-trident/

The dressiest diver you can get. Limited edition Christopher Ward C65 Trident with an in-house movement that runs for five days.

It looks as impressive on pictures as it does when reading the specs. Impressive enough to make me ask the Christopher Ward representatives to send us one of the 150 limited edition pieces for a hands-on review. They did send one and after 2 weeks on the wrist, I am just as impressed.

c65-41apr1-s0bb0-vc_macro.jpg
Date and subregisters

Kudos for the date implementation. Aperture is almost invisible; the date looks like it’s printed on the dial. I also like that the window doesn’t have the standard linear shape. The design and shaping of the sub-second and power reserve are very detailed and pours some more fuel to the Ressence resemblance. Both subs are slightly sunk into their positions, with their respective tracks being separated from the inner lining structure. Again, from reading the description it might sound a bit over-done, but it is just right. In particular light conditions, the reflections create an effect that the inner lining is moving independently from the sub-register track. A nice touch. Thoughts on the dial

The long and thin stick indexes are as simple as the minute track. I like the wider square above the twelve. The indexes match the hand luming. I like how the sub-register hands copy the central hand’s style. I also like that the power reserve didn’t get a more noble hand, but uses the same hand as the sub-second. They look functional, even featuring a thin lume. If there is one thing that I am not completely sure of its the central hands set, a giant clone of the sub-register hands. But at the end of the day, I don’t find them disturbing. They allow for perfect time reading. It is probably the contrast of the brushed center and polished sides.

c65-41apr1-s0bb0-hb_bk.jpg
SH21 movement technicals

How many smaller brands without history spanning decades offer in-house movements? Start naming. And now you can start counting the ways in which the SH21 comes interesting. Not only has it been developed in-house, but it also regulated to COSC accuracy with a tolerance of -4/+6 sec for a day. The power reserve counter doesn’t show hours, but days. Up to five days in total, thanks to the twin-barrel system. That’s pretty impressive, if we realize we’re talking about a 2.000 euros watch. Since its introduction to the watchmaking world in the summer of 2014, the SH21 hasn‘t got as much recognition as it deserves (but we discussed it here and mentioned here).

c65-41apr1-s0bb0-b0_angle.jpg

Just read on Facebook, from the CW forum, that Christopher Ward has left the company. I wonder if the dial logo will change?

Synergies Horlogères caliber SH21
Synergies Horlogères
SH21
Handwound
Analog
Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Synergies Horlogères caliber SH21 - Synergies Horlogères caliber SH21
Description

Hand-wound movement with 5 days of power reserve. 2 barrels with series connection providing a 120-hour power reserve. Calibers based on the Synergies Horlogères SH21:
MeisterSinger caliber MSH01 - MeisterSinger caliber MSH01

MSH01
© Copyright 2014-2020 - WatchBase.com - Terms of Use - Privac

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=SH21
https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php...orlog%C3%A8res

SH21

Calibre SH21 is an automatic watch movement produced since 2014 by Synergies Horlogères, part of Christopher Ward London Holdings.

Introduced in 2014, Calibre SH21 is a new design by Johannes Jahnke. It is produced by Synergies Horlogères with nine other suppliers in Switzerland. The name combines the initials of the producing company with the number 21, standing for "21st century" and indicating the newness of the design.

Calibre SH21 is a modular movement, with components designed to be interchanged with other future models. It is a double barrel movement with automatic winding, good for 5 days of power reserve when fully wound. The modular design makes it quite large and thick, but this is not out of place in modern watch cases. The movement is chronometer certified by COSC.

I own the SH21 in the C9.

49325931917_bebf912db4_b.jpg

CWARD_C9_5-DAY_MOVE1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom