Blue Christmas!

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
Invicta with the Mother of all Pearls….

So, my end of the year pick up, also courtesy of now long ago Black Friday, was a lovely price drop I came across, right here, from the master of deals, Lee (thanks Lee!). Shipping was a bit delayed, but, it arrived on Christmas Eve, sweet!

i3cew3S.jpg

I already own the high polish silver version of this, with the black MOP.

HFm7di1.jpg

As my overview stated, for that watch, when I posted it up here, months back (part of my re-falling in love with Invicta phase, thanks to being here), this is an oddly named “15 Year Anniversary” Russian Diver commemorative limited release model – odd because it doesn’t seem to resemble anything in the Russian Diver line up, and was released previously as an Excursion model (with a textured metal dial, in various color schemes, instead of MOP), at least once, some years back, that I remember.

The all gold edition of it that was still around for a while, back then, was actually too much gold for me, and the other versions had sold out fairly quickly. All in all, I was sad to have missed out on it, because I think it’s a pretty awesome design, so I was pleased to see it come back in this MOP livery, rebranded to be a Russian Diver. I love the black MOP edition, and had been salivating over the blue MOP that came later, so, with a substantial price drop, it was an easy grab to make, once Lee posted up the deal.

Pictures do NOT do justice to the blue MOP here, but I’ve done my best to load up the thread anyway, with plenty of gratuitous blue! It is, quite frankly, one of the most beautiful blue dials I’ve seen and, offset with the gold, it’s quite hypnotic. At times the indices almost seem to float in the dial and under any range of lighting, it’s a treat for any blue dial fan. It’s almost like a sheet of lapis lazuli, for anyone familiar with that gemstone.

xEnANJd.jpg

Yes, the high polish gold (variously listed as 18k gold plate, or simply “gold tone”) finish is pretty darn blingy, but, go big or go home, sometimes, is how I feel with this brand, and it seemed suitable for the overall presentation here – big and bold and beautifully bonkers. I’ve alternately favored or not favored this look, but that’s the value of having lots of watches from which to choose given that, on a day I’m feeling it, I have it to wear, and, on other days, I can choose something else. It is, I will say, well done, as are most Invicta bling-esque models, if “wrist presence” is desired.

Beyond the electric blue of the dial and loud salesman-of-the-week gold finishing, other highlights are the affixed side “plates,” which, on the left, announce the Swiss Ronda 8040 N movement inside this China assembled model, noting also that it has been pressure tested, in the event anyone was wondering.

BNotFlm.jpg

That testing is for 200m of WR, and the 8040 N movement, rotated to put the pushers and crown at the bottom of the case (for a very streamlined, balanced look), gives us a large date window, presented vertically and three subdials, one for running seconds, and, for the chronograph, a 1/10th seconds dial and finally a 30 minute totalizer. Hour and minute hand are joined by a main large chrono seconds hand (which is a split time capable chronograph), bearing the squiggly “R” for a Reserve model, and then we also get a retrograde day indication on the far right.

MTDEDzY.jpg

Overall, I think it makes great use of the dial real estate.

oYmADdl.jpg

On that right case side, the other side plate simply states “Invicta Reserve,” which is also noted on the dial. Applied hour markers are bridged with minute hash marks, in white, and a tachy scale. The beefy 52mm case is in a cushion style, and with the relocated pushers and crown (push/pull, not screw down) nearly vanishing thanks to the bottom placement, the result is that it wears quite tidy, with curving at the lugs adding to being firmly and comfortably planted on the wrist. As with so many large Invictas, it just isn’t tiresome to wear and doesn’t slop around or feel cumbersome, even when worn around the clock.

J6gmTYC.jpg

The bracelet keeps its prior Excursion DNA, with the faceted center links known to the Excursion (not Russian Diver) line up. As Invicta so often provides, it comes with a sturdy scissored clasp, solid end links and solid bracelet links. The bracelet is easily sized with its simple cotter pins. Five micro adjustment points gives a perfect fit.

Xl9z7FI.jpg

pX9qb4b.jpg

As an overall package, it has a bunch of my favorite bits – a brilliant blue dial, big date, retrograde day, split time chronograph and all in a cushion case. Critics can have their say, but all of that for less than a hundred and forty bucks is not ever going to earn any complaints from me. Let’s enjoy that blue some more, shall we??

LRxVPJ5.jpg

7xMnXnd.jpg

LdgVell.jpg

ficPZd9.jpg

Yes, just quartz, but I’m not a hater. The periodic fifteen bucks, once every few years (as long as five years, with some of my watches), remains far more affordable than even the most basic auto servicing, and, of course, quartz accuracy is bliss. While autos came to have horological appeal, as my collection grew and expanded, I’m still a quartz fan, for the right watch. Yes, it’s a pain to have to take in a bunch of watches for battery changes but, as I say, it’s cost effective. I just finished a batch of 25 or so, and it’s still less than servicing one Swiss auto chrono.

Lume is actually not too bad. Plenty of it, although it’s just Invicta’s sub-par “New Lite.” Crystal is trusty Flame Fusion.

eYacu3d.jpg

Caseback is adorned with the usual info, including, here, the number out of a stated 1000 of these released (mine is #225), as well as Invicta’s trademarked Russian Diver slogan, “Between the devil and the deep blue sea, come hell or high water.” A bit repetitious there perhaps, with the two catch-22’s that apparently a Russian Diver model can overcome, haha, but in a model line all about overstatement, it kind of fits right in, yes?

eJuNkya.jpg

As it so often is, this Invicta is all about owning a fun watch, and thus, not taking the watch, or oneself, too seriously, although there is nothing here of poor quality, at all, and it’s right up there with Invicta’s better built pieces.

8ZCDjwG.jpg

So, yes, it was a blue Christmas, but in a very wonderful way!

rpbVOHZ.jpg

I’m very pleased!

A Happy 2020 everyone!

2Many...

Your reviews and pics are the best...you are in the zone...I don't think even Scotty and me can throw water on that fire...

:smiles:

Wow!..My 1st thought: The Beautiful Blue Caribbean MOP wrapped in Liquid Gold and it Gorgeous!:eyes:
Definitely a keeper! Enjoy & wear it proud often!:cheers:

Eggcellent pics & Thanx for sharing!:cool:

2Many...

Your reviews and pics are the best...you are in the zone...I don't think even Scotty and me can throw water on that fire...

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Very kind of you to say, thank you!

Ha, I actually thought this might be a blingy blue bridge too far, but, the silver one was a hit and, in person, this just really works for my odd tastes, haha.

There is a delightful element to the near obscenity of it, ahahahaha!

Great pick up. I want the Blue label one with the Blue mop dial, but Shop won't lower their price. So far $299. Now it's at $329. Too much because it's Blue Label.Needs to be the same price of the other versions.

congrats! I was always very attracted to this model (when it was an Excursion) and flirted with adding one many times. The MOP is even nicer than the old oil-pressed dial of the previous iterations.

2Many...

ELECTRIC BLU XMAS...crown @ 6...let that fire burn ( roger that watch passion gr8 review crystal pix )

Back
Top Bottom