An Oris under the tree? YES PLEASE!

darkoverlord

Tyme Master Jr.
Interestingly enough(well to me) in the beginning of the calendar year, as we often post predictions for our collections for the coming year, targets so to speak. I noted that the Oris Diver’s 65 was on my short list and that I thought realistically it might even be my only acquisition for the year (besides the long ago pre-ordered H2O chrono) having splurged the year before.
Well I was wrong. I added two pieces this past year that were gifted to me by my good friend Robert (aka Timecat) and I managed to purchase my first Zelos, a second Christopher Ward and the even longer long term target Omega Seamaster 300 Chrono. In fact it was that purchase the pretty much made me feel no others were coming. So the Oris, which had previously been my only realistic target (in my head) got pushed to the back burner hoping for consideration in 2020.
But then came Christmas (yesterday) and my wife who had paid attention all-along and surprised me with the new Oris.
By now, being that this is such a popular watch I’m sure many are familiar with the basics:
retro styling, Box sapphire, SW 200, 42mm, 100m w/r, applied markers, aluminum 120 click bezel.
Mine came on a green and black Oris Nato strap with the folding clasp which apparently they aren’t making anymore (more on that later) and incase you can’t tell, because the dial is dark, it is green, a lovely gloss green somewhere between forest and emerald.
On with the picture show:
Untitled by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
The box inside the box….
Very comfortable on the wrist once finding the right sizing.
Close up on the sapphire

Oris is always trying to make their straps a little more innovative than their competition (or so I feel). And what they’ve done here is to put a folding diver’s clasp, complete with micro adjusts on a nato style strap. The strap attaches essentially the opposite of how a nato attaches but the effect is the same. The strap because minder-less as the tail goes down through the claps rather than around it where a tuck or loop would be needed. According to Torneau (they are ADs) Oris has decided to just make normal Natos moving forward. Can’t blame them.
The lume isn’t super bright but I woke up at 4:40am this morning in the pitch black and my light adjusted eyes could very clearly tell the time.
As I tend to do with my purchases here are the Great, the good and the not so great about this watch, at least from my perspective. TBH I have tried this watch on so often and looked into it for so long, I pretty much knew everything I was getting into. So there were no big suprises.
The Great:
Design, esp case design. Svelte, just pleasing to the eye esp from the side view.
Color, if you’re into green at least this is a knock-out dial
crystal, one of the nicest box sapphires I’ve encountered in my mind only trumped by the Breitling Premier line.
Comfort
The good:
Execution of the markers and hands.
Bezel action (mine is actually better than some I’ve seen people review online, basically no play)
Date window (some do and some don’t like the trapezoid, I do)
Clasp on the nato and fabric.
The not so great:
The wind while smooth isn’t as crisp as I like and as you’ll often find on brands that modify standard movmements.
100m w/r is true to vintage but could, perhaps should be improved upon
21mm lug width.. ugh
overall value. This has been discussed over and over again about the diver’s 65. It is immensely popular even among collectors without offering much bang for the buck. Standard Selita movement. 100m w/r, etc. Never the less they sell. The watch retails for $1990. Joma sells them for $1200-$1500 typically, strap depending and color depending. If you don’t want Jomashop, haggle as a good AD will get you very close if not in the Joma price range.

IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE I SHALL PIT THIS ORIS DIRECTLY AGAINST ITS C65 BY CHRISTOPHER WARD ADVERSARY.

Green is so cool and the great pics too. Did a thorough review and appreciate the work. A big congrats Gavin!

Great review for a great and classic winner! Look forward to the comparison with CW. Congrats, sounds like a wonderful year for watches, and wrapping up with this one, wow! Awesome!

BIG CONGRATS! :cheers:

I'm jealous...not of the watch (it's a great piece and not out of my reach) but your wonderfully, thoughtful spouse. The green color is a really nice touch for the man who has everything. Treasure her and enjoy your new Oris. Did I say it looks great?

Really looking forward to the CW comparison.

Whew! Now THAT is one drool-worthy piece of dead-sexy, awesome-as-a-possum WATCH FLESH!! I absolutely LOVE the deep green + black color mix offering, and it's one that is genuinely new and never-before-seen, at least as far as this Cub Reporter has observed over the last 15 or so years, and it's one that I certainly hope we see more of in the coming model year. I guess time will tell.

I am troubled about the winding system not working to your liking, and I hope it won't become a show stopper for you, especially given the high quality ORIS is known for in their engineering. I look forward to hearing more about it as you wear it during myriad activities & events. In the meantime, please accept my most heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS for this magnificent acquisition...! Now GET out there and KICK some BUTT and TAKE some bloody-danged NAMES with this amazing timepiece!! :wink:

Great watch and gift Gavin. Beats a stinking Invicta any day. I'm still on the prowl for this one. Sometimes a smaller watch can look larger on slimmer people. I think that's why some chubby people like Invicta and other XXL size watches. The larger size takes attention away from the waistline. :hmm:

tjmKVSRdSmyonZlHqlEH_angled.jpg

N0dLxnfSOKIlmMqNGNLw_caseback.jpg

Specs

• Oris
  • Model: 01 745 7688 4034-07 5 22 77FC
  • Movement: Oris 745 28-jewel automatic
  • Base: Sellita SW 220-1
  • 28800 vph
  • 38-hour power reserve
  • Case material: Stainless steel
  • Crystal: Sapphire
  • Caseback: Display