Tapered Shark Mesh 2019

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
DECEMBER 2, 2019 Written by Sam, Photos by Toni

w_mc221820b004b_grp-seiko-6309-7040.jpg
wtat_mc221820b004b_steinhart-ocean-vintage-mil-1.jpg
MC221820B004B
There are many things to look out and to consider when trying to shop for a quality mesh band. Different styles and types of mesh possess have different characteristics and appeals to individual tastes.
w_mc201620b003p_grp-seiko-srpc99-presage-cocktail.jpg
Left: MC201620B003P & Right: MC201620B003B
It’s good to remember the common phrase, ” You get what you paid for”, when searching for a quality mesh band. Although there are only a handful style of mesh bands, but the price range between poor and a high quality are quite noticeable.
wtat_mc221820b004p_seiko-5-sports-srpd69k1-red.jpg
MC221820B004P
The type/grade of metal used on a mesh is probably one of the first thing people look for. It’s not considered a fine mesh band, if its not made of greater corrosion-resistant 316L stainless steel (contains Molybdenum).
w_mc201620b003p_seiko-62mas-spb081j1.jpg
MC201620B003P
Of course, high quality metal is one thing, but its pointless unless there is great craftsmanship, a proper assembly line, and a great quality control to ensure each and every weave during production are perfectly shaped and spaced.
w_mc221820b004p_grp-seiko-5-sports-srpd71k2-blue.jpg
Left: MC221820B004B & Right: MC221820B004P
As many have suggested online, one way to check whether the mesh band you recently purchased is of high quality by simply holding the mesh band up in the air and to try and look through it with light. Basically, the harder to see through the weaves, the better quality of the weaves are made.
w_mc221820b004b-p-tapered-mesh-2.jpg
Tapered Mesh Collection
  • w_mc221820b004b-body-link.jpg
    Body Link
  • w_mc221820b004b-end-link.jpg
    End Link
A new tapered shark mesh band has been added to Strapcode’s collection. The new tapered mesh band will be available in two different sizes, 22mm tapers down to 18mm, and 20mm tapers down to 16mm.
w_mc221820b004p_steinhart-ocean-vintage-mil.jpg
MC221820B004P
You can imagine the long process of designing the tapered mesh band, and the amount of time it took to go through the assembly line and quality control in order for us to be able to product a quality tapered shark mesh band for people who are looking for one.
w_mc221820b004b_seiko-skx007-mt.jpg
MC221820B004B
All in all, there are many ways to check whether you’ve picked up a good quality mesh band or not. Besides using high end materials as a start, having a proper assembly line, and a quality control team that will go through all stages of productions to ensure the feeling of smoothness of quality finishing of a fine mesh band when worn on wrist to avoid the roughness of poorly finished made mesh bands.

How do you adjust the size? Do you cut off sections of the bracelet? It looks fantastic with the 4mm difference from case to clasp.

With a 16cm wrist then mesh choices are limited. Have one on NFW, with all sizing sections removed then still too big.
Click image for larger version  Name:	P5210137.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	662374

I picked up a Vollmer with curved end links specifically for this Hamilton from Mark that did not have any removable links. The clasp had a good amount of micro adjustments and I was able to get a good fit.

1954.jpg
[h=1]Vollmer Bracelets[/h] Vollmer's real strength lies in the tools and machines of which watch band manufacturers in the Far East are envious. Vollmer's oldest sheet metal punch originates from the 1930s. No current machine is able to get the same kind of results. Because of this, that Vollmer also act as advisers for other designers who want to continuously realize new ideas in metal watch bracelets for their timepieces.

Vollmer specializes in the manufacture of Milanese mesh bracelets that are very popular today. A good mesh watch band can be recognized by its consistent and stable mesh, as well as its lack of sharp edges. It must be flexible in one direction and must softly envelop the wrist. It is also important that the mesh band is well adjustable, usually with the help of a folding clasp or removable links adjacent to it. What catches the eye with the Milanese watch bands is their smooth and softly plaited structure. The name is derived from their place of origin, Milan. Stainless steel, titanium, or non-precious metals in thicknesses of 0.28 to 2 millimeters are used as raw material, supplied on approximately 20 cm high bobbins by wire companies and other suppliers. Be assured, you are getting the highest quality when you invest in a Vollmer band for your timepiece.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Vollmer_99462H4C_Mesh_Watch_Bracelet_p/99462h4c.htm

I really enjoy my mesh bracelets. They really bring a nice touch to the watch, especially a dive watch. I have one from DB that was quite a bit more than the ones I have bought on eBay. I can't tell a difference really. I like the ones I get from eBay. Goodcheapman I think is where I got my last one, cost me something like $30.

I've been dealing with GCM long before this place ever existed. There aren't many places I haven't tried if they sold bracelets at reasonable prices. Even with Deep Blue I always picked the stuff up when the prices were reduced for sales.

2jFna5G.jpg

3daRH0L.jpg

NJddAJf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom