We need a Beating Dead Horse Forum Cause

Let's not confuse beating a dead horse with a new member asking something that has been asked before...I don't think anyone here would not take the time to help anyone who asked for it...if we could...

Can we rehash a topic?...sure we can...jump in, watch from the sidelines...or ignore it...no worries in my book...you never know when a fresh perspective may show up.

the only constant is change HERACLITES...not riding the dead horse thing... even though a topic may be long and often discussed by old or new members...the individual may have evolved in hs hobby to have new insight or just have done a 180 ... also repetition is an excellent way to learn...

and something i knew but was refreshed in y recollection is with an auto always move the hands forward...remember ...note to self on not be lazy and just fall back 1 hour...go ahead those 23 hours

Be happy with what you have. I'm not sure if it's considered beating a dead horse or just a pet peeve. IMO what really gets old is hearing I can't afford a new watch. Sell off some of the old stuff if it's such a hindrance. I see others who don't own a luxury Omega watch or many other really nice ones. They have a dozen or so inexpensive watches, but never seem to complain about not being able to afford any new temptations.

" be happy with what u have " yes that is a wise pursuit to achieve horo nirvana and to be truly without desire......but yet...it's as if we are hard wired for ... " if i only had 1 more acorn. ".. even kings and billionaires want more... so yes be happy with what u have and maybe think on why does JODY from down under embody the spirit of the hobby with his vid blog " just 1 more watch "

ScottyB commented
Today, 10:35 AM
" be happy with what u have " yes that is a wise pursuit to achieve horo nirvana and to be truly without desire......but yet...it's as if we are hard wired for ... " if i only had 1 more acorn. ".. even kings and billionaires want more... so yes be happy with what u have and maybe think on why does JODY from down under embody the spirit of the hobby with his vid blog " just 1 more watch "
My post had nothing to do with buying "just one more watch" I think that if the Aussie blog was titled I wish I could afford just one more watch he would have a lot less subscribers. It would also be very possible that all of those watch companies would not be gifting him all of those watches.

C4mO.gif

no body would be swagging JODI DOWN UNDER if he was preaching horo abstinence....FEARLESS LEADER cuts me plenty slack with the REVEREND SCOTTY B chastity sermons as I battle the devil to keep it in my pants...

of course the essence of a watch site is to stimulate consumption and to munch on " milk & cookies " while loading up the PP

funny how cows are yum and horses ew and puppies only tasty in SEOUL.... a generation from now bugs will be protein of choice in USA...

- and u bacon lovers with kiiler asian virus...now a gr8 tyme to go vegan

We have beat this subject thoroughly, and I tank you all for your comments, carry on as they say.

Late to this topic, ahahaha, but since it's about beating up the corpse of a topic anyway.....

My half quid, or quarter ducat on the issue is that I've never gotten why anyone tires of covering old ground when it's new questions from new people. I never understood it on car forums either, the rancor toward "noobs" who had questions.....I mean, we didn't all start any hobby at the same time, haha, so why would anyone expect that someone coming to the party years later shares the same base of knowledge?

And, even more mysterious is that it seems forums are created, in no small part, to SHARE knowledge with others, yet there is the "use SEARCH dummy" mentality that seems quite antithetical to the whole concept of having a community.

I can certainly understand old guard getting tired of the same questions, but that's part of the job. Those stoic foundational people are what keeps any community alive, and that was the joy in coming here, yes, a smaller group, and not so much "watch conversation topics" as where I was, but also a complete absence of unkindness, and complete welcome for anyone and everyone, wherever they are at. A beautiful thing.

Now, I don't know, maybe if a bunch of watch talk was more common, there would be more, "how many times a day should I wind my automatic" questions, haha, but, for example, elsewhere, that was literally a post, just recently, and, in a HUGE community, this person had one reply. I chimed in, giving a basic summary of autos and, needless to say, it was appreciated by the OP. Others eventually added, as well, and thankfully I didn't see any scornful nastiness posted, but I have seen such, in abundance, there and elsewhere, and, my view is that, if a question bugs someone, don't answer it, but no need to answer with some insinuation that it's a post without merit, no matter how "basic" it may seem, or how often it's been answered.

For me, when I started, YTube wasn't even a thing yet, and the information out there now, on forums, reviews, blogs, etc., is massive so, yes, one can pretty much Google anything, on watches or any other topic, but if someone comes to a watch forum with watch questions, it seems someone with watch knowledge should be able to reply.

I don't know that I would have avoided watch choices I made along the way, as it's all been part of the journey, but I can say that how feedback is delivered, and the overall "tone" of a forum can make a difference to someone trying to learn about watches, or anything. As I've mentioned, I kind of fell out of love with the whole concept, in a forum where choices were judged and members were firebombed and it was like I was in a place where people didn't even really like watches, or each even other (outside of little cliques), which seemed to make for a sad "watch community" concept.

I suppose it's somewhat endemic to any "group think" that can arise, but all I can say is I sure appreciate how things are done here. Maybe some people feel that treating others with respect is being too much of a "snowflake" or whatever, I don't know, but the support and appreciation shared here adds a lot of joy to this hobby. I mean, outside of my brother and a business partner I got into watches (and not even with them, to some degree), nobody cares what watches I have, haha, really, so this is a cool place to communicate with other watch fans, much like any hobby community, I would guess.

So, I say keep flogging away, and welcome all comers, no matter how new, or no matter how "old" the question or topic might be. I personally find it rewarding to be of any help on a topic and I would often welcome the chance to answer "noob" questions at my old spot, and was always surprised that others did not have anything to add, despite knowing far more than me, or would just say something deliberately snarky. The fact that admin would not step in to moderate was even more distressing, and, suffice to say, this community is a great example of excellence that starts with the leadership.

I honestly wish a ton more people would find this little corner of watch heaven.

This place is a rare treasure in terms of forums, period, on much of any topic, in my experience.

WIT rules.

Great read and many good points made about Old Beating Topics! I believe you can almost never ask the same Q too many times as there are a lot of folks who don't know stuff we take for granted. So I say Keep the Beating thing going!
This is a great place to be.

Back
Top Bottom