Vintage Baylor Automatic

dmccartney

Tyme Twister
Founding Member
I have been on a big vintage kick and there is plenty to go around on eBay. I found a guy in Texas selling a few that he had. I fell in love with this one and had to have it. Came with a few Baylors, a Hamilton Quartz and a Bucherer mechanical. This one I am going to keep for myself. I didn't know much about Baylor as a company but found out some good info and some speculative info on them. I know that Zales owned the name and had the watches made. The story goes that being a Texas based company they names these watches after Baylor University. Some of the speculation was around whether or not Heuer sold the movements to Zales for these. Either way it is an ETA 2789 auto powering this. I need to do a quick job on the crystal with some poly watch, other than that I am quite impressed with the watch as a whole. I can't find a serial number so it is making the dating of this impossible. I would guess late 60s early 70s, but don't have anyway to verify. If any of you know anything about these feel free to add your 2 cents on the subject. Anyway, here are the pics.

Oh...its 38mm case size. Smaller than I normally wear, but I don't care, its really flippin' nice.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Baylor Watch Co. is not a name you hear that often. It was once under the umbrella of Benrus from the 1950s through the 1970s and had a strong presence in the United States as it was retailed by Zales Jewelry Company.

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1960s-baylor-bi-compax-chronograph-in-steel?variant=33019497359#
[h=3]Don’t be fooled by the relatively unknown name of Baylor Watch Co. - this bi-compax has a great case shape and gorgeous dial. Don’t blink, this chrono won’t be here for long.[/h]
501-BaylorBiCompax-Movement.jpg

I forgot about the Benrus as well. I looked at so many websites the other day I forgot more than I remembered I think. Thanks for the extra info and corrected info.

Yeah. I couldn't figure out what drew me to this one and then I saw an AP and knew why I liked it so much. Didn't even register when I was pining for it.

Back
Top Bottom