Renting Luxury Watches

For those with extensive, upper echelon collections and their watches don't get enough wrist time then this could be a solution.
Become a vendor to Vyrent?!

Well, if anyone here wants to rent Scantor's Invicta watches, I'll one up him. If you rent my Invicta watches, I'll throw in the ultra exclusive crystal haze on many of my Invictas - FOR FREE!

How can you pass up on that extra "bonus?"

rent-a-grail

gonna think on this & observe... initially... i think back on the thread ROAD WARRIOR posted...expensive watches are worn to be seen by your peers and thereby receive elevated instant social status...i.e. not a member of unwashed masses...hoity toy n the wrist and ...just imagine the rest of a fabulous life...

cars and exotic models have long been rentable for the type of occasions I guess a grail watch has been available...

sidebar:

how are scratches, moving hands between 12-4, dings, smashes handled...well...cars manage...

so think of trends-consumption conspicuous-business model...

I'll be watchin' on this

I buy and wear watches that I like and wether or not we know it our watches say a little about us. Having said that I wear for enjoyment not status up or down. I guess it’s like my wife and a lease cars....she wants a new look every so often. I smell what the rent a rock is cooking but I’m full at the moment. Cool concept.

Hmmm, considering the listed prices of their monthly membership, seems one could get some epic watches on their own eventually, if one truly has a few extra grand lying around, monthly, in couch cushion change, or certainly one could be getting some sweet mid-luxury pieces.

I guess it would take saving that up for a few years to get to Royal Oak Chronograph territory, but at least it would be your own watch.

Renting watches seems a bit like wearing someone else's shoes. I'm not a fan.

Can't think of any situation that this would work for me. I'm that guy that goes out an buys bowling shoes instead of renting, even though I only bowl 3-4 times a year!

I myself wouldn't do this, but if you are worried about someone wearing this before you and you skeeve that, I would think that company cleans the watches before lending it out to you. How about if you buy a used watch off of EBAY it's like the same thing as renting it from the other person before you.

I know guys who have rented a car before buying one. Before laying out the big bucks, they wanted to be sure it was a good fit for them. I guess this may be similar, but I think a visit to an AD would really be enough to answer your questions. Other than that, I just don't see the benefit - I don't wear a watch to impress anybody. :dunno:

good point...like renting a car before buying sea model... i might think on it...if... I was hunting for $3,000+ watch i would want a long date with all positions explored... a visit to the AD wouldn't cut it...they are pressuring to make sale,,,maybe sales man/lady knows zip about watches or very likely less than us addicts...and is chattering distractingly in background while me wit man brags about encyclopedic horo knowledge acquired over 100,000 post over a decade plus...well... some of you may get it...others think differently

You're 1/2 way right Steve. True when you buy a used watch on eBay someone has worn it before you, but that's when the script flips. Once you buy a used watch on eBay it's then YOURS. You're not paying monthly for it, you don't have to return it, you're not worrying about damaging it which could cost you more, it you want to mod it, that's your prerogative.

I doubt I would ever rent a watch. I have owned several high end watches and truthfully the only people who know high end watches are other watch collectors. I used to get asked a lot about the watch I was wearing and most people will recognize a Rolex but they probably spend more money marketing their brand than all the other companies combined! The problem was people would ask if the Rolex was REAL!!!!! Other brands I have worn like my Hublot, Patek, Vachone, Ulysse Nardin etc when asked I would tell them and they would say is that a GOOD watch! :banghead:
When I would get into the brand and tell them what the watches usually cost the Hublot being the the most expensive, I would get a look like I was sick in the head and the usual "Are you crazy, I would never pay that much for just a watch". :nono: I have rented Exotic cars on more than one occasion and stopped that practice because of the cost per day $1500.00 for what to turn a few heads?

Very interesting concept , probably modeled after rent-a -car , rent appliance/furniture etc. style businesses. Like ShopHQ this style of business is a bean counter/book keepers dream for making hidden cash and money while showing stagnation on paper. If the concept gets legs and doesn't crash , expect to see more doing it.

Other than that, I just don't see the benefit - I don't wear a watch to impress anybody. :dunno:

Ah, that's because you need to rethink what brands of watches you're buying. My Casios impress all the hot babes out there when I'm out on the town! :lol:

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom