Buying Grey Market vs Buying Authorized - Tips, Experiences and Advice

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Some personal experiences... more than just about price, and who does any needed warranty work.

Nov 4, 2019

AGF-l79FfALqAoEDqfi6CUc-_rACBjUm0HlmNn6NYw=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Bruce Williams

I get regular questions about whether it is safe to guy from Grey Market sites... that discounted price can be appealing! I share some personal experiences and give my thoughts and opinions in this video. Its a nuanced answer... more than just about price, and who does any needed warranty work. I think it is fine in some instances and I would stay away in others...Thanks for watching guys and let me know your thoughts and experiences in the comments section.

image.php

Jomashop has done the same thing to me and after almost three weeks going back and forth I finally cancelled the order.

i pretty much agree with Bruce here. On an affordable watch with an easy to serve movement, best price no matter what. On an in-house with very specific part requirements for repair, AD. And my favorite? Gettin an AD to go as close to the grey market price as possible. Afterall I like to support brick and mortar stores. If I want a place to try watches on, they have to stay in business.

I agree with D.O.:cheers: Thanks for posting this up, Mike.:hat:

Well put. Lower end watches beget lower price but pay more for a better piece and think of it as built in insurance

For a high-end watch, the experience of going to an AD and being pampered up makes the experience and enjoyable unique :) Once in a while to afford this extra icing on the cake feels nice, especially if the watch is part of a graduation, anniversary, etc.

that's a great point too. Especially for the gift giver who often wants the full experience to be given as part of the gift. My first Breitling was something I had wanted most of my life and when I could finally get it my wife wanted to purchase it for me and she wanted me to have the full experience. That part of it meant a lot to her.

The other thing is that on higher priced watches, AD purchases can often garner a high resale, this is esp true if the original manufacturer's warranty is still valid. People want full boxes, documentations, warranty cards, hang-tags. The whole 9.

I guess you have to verify the product is in stock, but I guess they could lie bout that too.
This never occurred to me so good comments here.

Back
Top Bottom