The Ocean Needed Saving! Seiko Turtle to the Rescue!

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
A little late in my arrival to save the ocean, but finally acquired one of these!

Kind of funny, but, for someone who literally did not get the attraction, at all, to Seiko watches, not even that long ago, I now find myself very happily having acquired my fifth one, plus have several more floating around in my mental wish list, including a green Sumo (which I want even more, after having seen Mister J's recent buy!).

As I’ve probably shared previously, my first experiences with the brand, buying a couple of less than impressive “Direct Drive” kinetic models that were a pain to keep charged (I eventually just gave up, even despite now owning the Seiko induction charger platform) had only confirmed bias from my younger years that it was a lackluster brand – a view particular to the years in which I grew up, when, as a Department store offering, it was just a higher priced option in a sea of uninteresting quartz.

Becoming more watch educated, I have kept an eye to the maker, knowing that so many watch folks far more knowledgeable than me clearly see a lot in Seiko, which is what eventually led me to trying a more expensive model, my much beloved SBDC061 – which still remains, in my mind, a LOT of watch, considering substantially higher prices for other models that share such attributes as the DiaShield protection, sapphire crystal, machined clasp and a 50h PR, with full dive specs.

It is my “Seiko Rolex” haha (Seilex? Roko??) due to the sheer mastery of simplicity and excellence, at once sporty and luxurious and that purchase was my conversion to being a Seiko fan.

XzMB6wR.jpg

Suffice to say, I had become a brand fan, particularly falling in love with the blazing lume!

Look at the light that casts!

3MVqqn4.jpg

That wonderful buy led me to another similarly priced model, the Special Edition PADI (1965 Reinterpretation) with a stunning gradation blue dial evoking descending ocean depths, plus the purchase of a couple of Seiko 5’s, just to see what those were all about. Ha, this also converted me to "NATOism" lol, and it's been hilariously fun exploring that new joy of endless strap swapping....

nHP1E3e.jpg

Now, part of what had held me back, was not bonding to particular available designs, and, the “Turtle” design had not been one that I’d found particularly appealing, but I kept coming across rave reviews of the Special Edition “Save the Ocean Great White Shark” and it just seemed to be a very handsome iteration, with subtle style changes that really made it work, for me, SO, I had been watching prices, as well as availability. Seeing both factors start to shrink, I finally pulled the trigger on what I felt was a good price point, and, here it is!

6bc1rY7.jpg

NjATy1f.jpg

Do I love it??? YES! I DO!!!

I’ve long been a blue dial nutcase, and any particularly attractive spin on a blue dial is a treat for me, and this one knocks it out of the park in my opinion. I’ve tried to capture a range of just how sweetly the color shifts and dances around depending on the lighting. Even the gray portion of the bezel shifts in hue. Hard to communicate in photos, but, bottom line, it’s a true beauty. I just find everything here very much to my liking.

rYaLxI4.jpg

o9Q1cCp.jpg

PskHeen.jpg

9MIatTA.jpg

The blue and gray bezel is outstanding. Of good height, and easy to grasp, the action is wonderfully smooth. The concentric engraved surface rings are a lovely detail, as is the fact of engraved numerals, which are nicely proportioned.

exaav38.jpg

Naturally, the “Great White” additions of this “Save the Ocean” edition are rewarding, with the dorsal fin hiding out among textured “waves” on the dial, and the second hand base also being decorative to compliment the theme.

ji3UjbJ.jpg

Everything here just feels nautical and ocean-going, and, while I won’t wax overly poetic and claim that I can hear the lull of the surf, even at my desk at work, it does nonetheless bring a feel for lazy days, toes in the sand and a certain reminder of relaxing moments that soothes, even on gray, rainy, desk bound days when one feels a long way away from a vacation. Yes, a watch can do that!

Of course, for others it might evoke paralyzing thoughts of the need “for a bigger boat” with haunting notes of a “Farewell and Adieu” to some dear Spanish ladies, lingering in the air, so, maybe sharks are not always a vacationing thought, LOL.

Size is right in a sweet zone for me with a 44mm diameter, acceptably sleek at 13mm in height, and the cushion case is ultra comfortable to wear and is a design I’ve liked in other brands as well.

uwARsWM.jpg

Screw down crown is easy to access down at the 4 o’clock spot. The ubiquitous 4R36 engine is not earth moving, but has never disappointed me in any watch and I do like both day and date. Beneath the trusty Hardlex crystal, the dial is super legible, and of course is blessed with Seiko’s stunning lume.

uAUbWpu.jpg

UhfZn9L.jpg

The branding notes this has a “Diver’s 200m” rating, referring to ISO 6425 compliance (also noted on a tag included with the watch), so this watch isn’t just looking “divey” but is clearly built to perform under hardship.

iw5s0iV.jpg

The bracelet is perhaps nothing spectacular, but a definite step above Seiko 5 territory, despite still retaining the stamped clasp bridge. End links are solid, so that’s a plus, and finishing is attractive, with satin brushing and then polished lines skirting the center links. Link edges are polished. Case has mixed finishes as well.

cbTXsXL.jpg

GXGaW7e.jpg

There are four fixed microadjustment point options from which to choose, on the clasp, for an ideal fit, and there is the quirky diver’s extension that folds out somewhat awkwardly from underneath -- on the watch I received, it required undue force to deploy, but I rarely find myself at the office with a dive suit on, so it isn't problematic for me.

OOcMIGb.jpg

And, speaking of quirky, while all brands have their odd aspects, one I did not know about here was the particular hell of the friction pin design on this model, for bracelet adjustment. Collared holders fit into the outside of the links instead of inside, requiring a bizarre acrobat routine to try and hold a hollow tube into the bracelet link's outer side (without getting the tube stuck on the chosen holder), that will just fall out if you at all tilt the bracelet, while exerting pressure on a pin from the other side in an attempt to get the collar and pin to mesh within the bracelet itself, sort of like tossing two pandas in a pit and hoping they mate. I'm not favorable to the pin and collar set up anyway, but, In my view, whoever designed this particular set up needs their head examined.

Or, conversely, I need my own mental evaluation for not doing prior research and not having the right tools for the job, haha!

In any event, thoroughly frustrating, and it just happened to be a situation where I didn’t know how many links to remove, so I took out too many and had to add some back in, then tried the micro adjusting and realized I’d added one too many, meaning I lived the nightmare of re-attaching the links (or attempting to do so without resorting to violence) far too many times. Wound up losing one of the collars, and did not care.

Trial and error and the liberal application of robust swearing eventually got the job done, but, wow, that really sucked and is, to date, the worst bracelet adjusting I’ve ever experienced. Of course, I’d have been much smarter to take the bracelet off of the watch (made very simple by the drilled lug holes) but, when waxing idiotic, I am known not to change course.

Anyway, once done it was done, and it wears very well. As much as I like a bigger case, realistically a 44mm is a pretty perfect fit.

ZjR2FuG.jpg

All in all, for a three hundred dollar buy, this is tough to beat, I feel. A spruced up Special Edition model, diver specs, a reliable automatic beating inside, beautiful, functional, built to last and makes wrist checks a joy.

So, another Seiko in the collection and it’s right up there as a top favorite. Always interesting how tastes do change.

AND, EXICTING NEWS BULLETIN:

Thanks so much, fellow WatchInTymers (WITTERS?) for all the input regarding Oris.

I’ve always been geared toward “justifying” a buy (I know, it makes no sense to justify any crazy amount of watch buying, haha) and finding a sense of victory in spending less to get more, and everything I’ve learned about Oris tells me it’s one of THE great buys, in terms of getting more than you pay for…..so…..

Pulled the trigger on the Oris Aquis Big Day Date!!! Should be here next week!!!

Very excited!!!

Thanks all for reading!

Congrats, that's a fantastic watch. And easily "upgraded" with a fitted bracelet from StrapCode if you're so inclined.

wow...eyes pop out...major watch boner... " ocean needed saving " sounds like GEORGE COSTANZA... and to save the ocean let's speed it on a brown truck powered by dinosaurs a long distance... unbox a mountain of cardboard and bubble wrap that we can stash in the pacific... guilty here so not judging... there are many " anamolies " present in daily life which give pause but i have been fortunate to experience post WW II boomer road trip

anyhow a dynamite electric blue fish scale... maybe top contender for pretty face

Great looking Turtle and just a cool color, and congrats, but a good thing you don't follow the 2manywatches theme.

Wow!! Just WOW, 2many!! Excellent post/narrative/photos; a lot of fun to read, very enjoyable! I read your description of how you came to Seiko, and it soooo mimics my own! I, too, felt that the purchase of a Seiko ranked right up there with watching fresh-poured cement dry, going down to the local hardware store to watch 'em sort nails, etc. But something changed all of that for me, and that something was a "baby bleu tuna," with some kick-butt upgrades that suddenly started me down the road to becoming a Seiko fanboi'...

DSCN82002_zpsf32dc77e.jpg

Upgrades: (1) Thick sapphire crystal (replaced thinner mineral glass OEM); (2) Stainless steel shroud (replaced blue plastic OEM part); (3) thick leather strap with custom blue stitching (replaced blue rubber plastic OEM part)

Of course, it didn't happen over night, but there were just a series of things that happened that ultimately caused me to ultimately embrace the brand ultimately as "my own," so to speak...and, um, ultimately.

So now I've a decision to make; get THIS beauty you just picked up, or go for the "Cocktail Time" in deep red/brown. DANG! Talk about a CHOICE!

Anyhow, congratulations on a truly sooooperb buy that has left me to become a Jealous Ellis!! :hurry:

Yes, no small amount of irony in humanity's "efforts" to care for the planet. Perhaps Mr. Costanza should stick to being an architect, haha. Or just keep developing Vandelay Industries.

Thanks yes, certainly one of my favorite dials, plenty of blue goodness!

LOL, yes Seiko is crazy with it! Is it just the quality of the material, or the amount of it? Always been curious on that....

Yes, ahahaha, if I had too many, I might stop buying! Although, of late, I've been wondering what my maximum density point might be. Guess I'll have to keep going until I find it. Push that envelope, haha. Not exactly a Chuck Yeager style accomplishment, so the reference is likely not warranted, but we all have our callings I guess.

All I can say is a mighty big WOW on that blue build of pure wunderbar goodness! Seiko should be consulting with you for designs! And, yup, in my era it was never a lauded brand, I think some of which may have had to do with the fact of it coming off the tail of having disrupted the "real" watch industry, but I think it's pretty impressive how they went from upending things, to mastering the industry they nearly toppled.

Interesting that they don't get on the list of fine watchmakers, from that White Paper on Fine Watchmaking, put out by the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (sound so impressive!), considering that Seiko does seem to meet all of their criteria.

Maybe the Swiss are still mad, ahaha.

Yes, big choice there -- that Cocktail is a thing of sheer beauty in the red/brown! My advice would be to save the ocean by hoisting up a toast with the cocktail!

When stuck between two watch choices, buying both is a win/win, ahaha!

Then again, it does leave one with a 2manywatches problem.....

wow what a cage match...save the ocean electric blue fish scale tuna vs baby blue tuna custom fume dial...wow

Back
Top Bottom