Longines HydroConquest 44m VS Oris Aquis Big Day Date?

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
Hi all --

Just looking for any feedback on either of these specific models, or even just experience with either brand, from a comparative perspective? I have never bought either and don't have any local AD's to go handle these.

I have a ton of divers, but looking for a bit of a slightly upscale blue dial diver, and narrowed it down to the older model HydroConquest 44mm, with the 64 hour PR, and the 45.5mm Oris Aquis Big Day Date. Not ready to jump to an Omega yet, and Tag, hmmm, can't seem to fall in love with any of them.

I've long considered Oris, but it has always seemed a lot to pay for a basic Sellita movement, although I have read many very positive reviews about the casing, the bracelet, and the overall quality of the build. I really like the larger size of this model, ceramic bezel, the 500m WR is a nice touch, and have read that the lume is superior to Longines (which has been described as somewhat disappointingly minimal).

Proprietary bracelet not a deal breaker, but not fantastic, due to no other bracelet options. I am a huge fan of day and date, so that's a plus, for me, and I think the dial design is quite pleasing.

It's not an exhibition caseback, so I wouldn't yet have an Oris red rotor to show off, but, at the same time, as I mentioned, feedback I've read (supposedly right from Oris) claims this as basically the only modification of a very basic movement, swapping in the red rotor (that I wouldn't even see in this case, haha) and it is otherwise a movement I could find in a lot of much lower priced watches, so....not buying it for the movement apparently, although it is a reliable workhorse, as I understand it, so, from that perspective, a bit like picking up anything with an ETA 2824, or even an NH35 variant although, again, those don't tend to be as pricey (depending on the buy, of course).

I do like the 28,800 bph, and the 38 hour PR is acceptable, although not at all remarkable. My autos live in winders when not on the wrist, so not a big deal, but, again, just some puzzlement in my mind about the much higher price tag for a fairly inexpensive movement. Perhaps the other attributes of the brand are extremely exceptional?

D5am1oW.jpg

On the other hand, or on the other wrist maybe is better to say, is consideration of what I understand to be a pretty legendary and well respected model, the HydroConquest from Longines. Can be found for quite a bit less money than the Oris, still a ceramic bezel on this model, 300m WR and an ETA modded, as I understand it, to provide a longer 64 hours of PR, but dropping the bph down a bit to 25,200 to achieve that. Not like dropping to a 21,600, but, even so, a tad less smooth, although maybe not very noticeable? Haven't seen one in action.

Have read that, though a very well established brand, some buyers are not so impressed with them as a Swatch Group offering, some concerns about bracelet quality, clasp operation, and apparently quite poor lume, and just, in general, fit and finish that does not impress? Have also read that it is considered to be one of the best options as an entry level "nicer" dive watch, so, a mix of opinions, as usual.

Not sure I can embrace the styling. Crown guards look fairly extreme, and the hands, hmmm, not sure if they are growing on me or creeping me out, lol, but certainly distinct on that hour hand and the red tipped arrow second hand is appealing. Kind of looking at the individual elements isn't thrilling, but, all together, at least in pics, it seems to come together as a handsome piece.

I like the large numeral indices, but the rest of the dial seems kinda busy and the bezel has a lot going on as well. And, somewhat lame lume sounds disappointing. Even so it's been reviewed as a "best" diver in its class, so to speak, in several reviews, so that's intriguing.

qn0d78P.jpg

Of what I can find, Oris fans say it's an easy Oris win, but other articles lean more toward the heritage of the Longines, so, almost like it comes down to buying for brand in the case of Longines, versus buying for the attributes of the watch itself (if being a "watch person") in the Oris. I just struggle a bit with justification for spending quite a bit more on the Oris. Will it really "wow" me?

Was just wondering if anyone has comparative experience with either of these models, or Oris models vs Longines models in general? I know of course that any point of view is subjective, but any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks, fellow WiTs!

Don't have any experience with either. Both appeal to me. But for some reason, the Longines really appeals to me. I've had one on my most wanted list for years. The HydroConquest wins this battle for me, for no other reason than I just love the look of it. Good luck with your decision - you really can't lose with either.

Selita or ETA ? That is the question. I say this because the winding gear completely imploded in my Oris small seconds. With the Longines you get much better fit and finish and a much cleaner look. The Longines looks better in gray.

For me it's hard to compare the two as I've never held a Longines in my hand. I do own 4 different Oris models and can say they are some of my very favorite watches in my collection. Fit and finish and reliability is on par with or even beats some of my more expense pieces. I'd say go with the Oris only because they are what I'm familiar with... or just flip a coin.

Reasoning? Just based on gut reaction to the choices here? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the higher price of the Oris for what seems a "lesser" movement. Seems I "should" like the Longines better, ahahaha, based on value for dollar, but my heart irrationally is leaning towards the Oris. Guess I'm trying to justify why that's okay, haha....any enabling is appreciated!

I guess same inquiry here also in terms of reasoning for the preference. Oris does seem the "watch lovers" brand somehow, so maybe it's just a gut level reaction thing....I just don't want to spend more and wind up with less watch, if that makes sense. On movement attributes, it seems the Longines, for less money, is wiser, and I read one review of this HydroConquest release, saying it is near to entry level Omega in fit and finish. Guess I'm still trying to consider why the higher priced Oris is "worth" it, other than just really liking it, haha.

Thank you. I do think either one would be wonderful. Am tempted to get both! But, other bills to pay, of late, kind of preclude that insanity. The HC certainly does have some design distinction to it and the movement seems very well reviewed.

Would you say fit and finish are comparable, or any leaning toward either brand? Depends on the models of course, and can't compare a high end model in one brand, to entry level in another, but just curious of the stories of Oris outshining Longines are just rumor....

Ha, I guess if I wasn't spacing off on what day or date it is, lol, I'd do a sterile dial, but it comes in handy for me, and having day as well is even better for my absent-minded brain.

Yup, on paper the Longines, especially given that it costs a good bit less, does seem the better buy. I had thought Oris did some fancy fiddling with these base Sellita movements, but seems that they don't, so it does seem a bit bold to crank up pricing for a base movement watch. I had never appreciated longer PR movements until traveling (and not having my winders), and being quite happy to have watches that stay wound for many days, off the wrist, so that 64h PR is something I can appreciate.

Thank you. Yes, this seems the real drawing factor, as I keep coming across owner experiences of great bliss with Oris and that, as the saying goes, it's a brand that "punches above its weight" for fit and finish and overall quality. It seems perhaps that explains the pricing in spite of non-modified base movements. I can appreciate that the Longines, with the well-reviewed 64h PR L888 is possibly the "better" buy in terms of specs, but the Oris seems to just have something about it.

the ORIS seems to be 1 of the rare few trademarks that has held retail pricing power in an industry that has experienced price pull backs over the last decade

Good to know, and I have found more reviews online, and it definitely seems to be a brand that's doing things right, with the general view that the benefits go far beyond the choice of what some may consider a bland (yet all seem to agree is a very reliable) choice of movement. I mean, none of my Seiko 4 series or NH series movements would be considered anything other than dependable engines, but I certainly enjoy the watches in which they reliably reside and flawlessly function.

Back
Top Bottom