Needed something new!

surelyuknow

Tyme Master Jr.
So its been awhile since I bought a new watch, more like 2 years I think, and I’m getting a little bit of an inch for something new but I’m not wanting to invest in another watch. (I have way too many as it is) So that leaves me with only one option… MOD one I already have. I decided to do a bracelet MOD on my 1986 Seiko 7002 Diver. It’s the perfect candidate for this particular bracelet. The one and only… Uncle Seiko Razor Wire bracelet. This bracelet is a near flawless match with great fit and finish, scissor type fold over clasp with push button release and fold over lock. Bracelet is extremely comfortable and doesn't pull any arm hairs. Only down side is the non-solid end links. Aside from that, I couldn’t be happier… at least with the end result. Getting there was a nightmare for me.

First off I couldn’t remove the old original rubber strap. I broke off 2 spring bar tool ends trying to get to and release the spring bars. I must have worked on it for a good half hour. Finally my patients wore thin and I had to go to plan B which involved some drastic measures. Cutting the b____ off. I got out my small dykes (yeah, I know probably politically incorrect but I don’t care as that’s what I always called them. Millennials stop your damn whining for gods sake. Man the hell up!) or side cutters as some folks call them. Anyway after removing the aforementioned but now useless strap you would think I would be home free. You my friend would be wrong… The friggin’ 33 year old spring bars were locked tighter than my ex-wife's…. hmmm, ahhhhhh pocketbook. Anyway I couldn’t get them off using 3 different kinds of spring bar tools. Back to plan B. Using my small needle nose pliers I finally just broke them off. Pictures to follow.

Ok, now I’m in the money. I just need to size this bad boy and I’m golden… or so you would seemingly think. Yeah, not so much! I knew ahead of time the links were not your usual easy to remove screw in or push pin type. I hadn’t expected them to be the Rubik’s Cube of bracelet links.

Warning: If you have shaky hands or poor eye sight do not attempt as this will cause you to re-think you hobby choices!

You will need very steady hands, a safety pin (easier to hold than a straight pin) and pointy tweezers. This does use push pins in the links but lining up those small razor wire links will drive you to drink (as seen in the picture below) and a whole lot of cussing. SOB, I mean lots and lots of cussing. In my dazed and confused state I think it took close to an hour to get this brace size. Mind you, you never get the correct amount of links off on the first try. You remove a couple of friggin’ links then put it all back together, slip it on your wrist just to find out… “Oh HELL NO! I’ve got to do this all over again!!!” So you go back and get another drink, just to steady your nerves mind you, and start the process all over. Finally you get it squared away and fitting just right and all’s well with the universe again. You then take that last swig of your drink, take your glasses off and lie down on the couch for a much needed and deserved nap…

Ok, so if you stuck with me thus far here are some pics. You decide… was it worth it?

47484456671_67c07d50e6_b.jpg

48872825298_dec81aae6c_h.jpg

48873356556_7990b892bf_h.jpg

48915652123_a69a7e1f4b_h.jpg

48916426577_843c39676e_h.jpg

48915652788_894f1547cb_h.jpg

48911968761_cc19bf6218_h.jpg

48911443958_4680aae916_h.jpg

48912179142_0353cd4af8_h.jpg

48912179432_997842825b_h.jpg

48912179632_5351442dd9_h.jpg

48912179747_18b4bd70be_h.jpg

48912179857_a5dfcbc56a_h.jpg

Thanks for checking this out...

Joel...I feel your pain...I've had those times with a watch and steady hands and good eyesight are not my strong suit. I'm sure getting those little wire links lined up properly was a PITA...

Looks great though...:good:

There would be a fine line between enough drinks to calm the nerves and one too many to get the job done with this bracelet... :ccc:

Yeah, I watched that video before I attempted doing this. He makes this look relatively easy to do, but I'll bet there was a whole lot of "takes" before he got it right.

Your story had me laughing hard!! :lol:

The bracelet looks very cool. I have not seen that style before either. Yeah, I bet it was a be-atch getting everything lined up. Unlike the Asian women in the factory who have small hands.

Impressive! Not just the amazing final result, but impressive patience as well! Sometimes I can face a detail oriented frustration, and other times....not. Some good pressure relief in demolishing the old assembly at least. I might have tossed the entire lot into the fireplace, so, hat's off to you! Definitely an example here of the goal being worth the journey. Well done!

I have never seen that bracelet before. That's really really nice!!! All I can say about the strap removal is Oy Vey LMAO. Looks like Stimpy helped......

00d19dc9631aef7bf62cb9492ec9c982.gif

I agree the video was probably filled with plenty of cuts (if he didn't edit it it would probably be an hour long) and it doesn't look easy. I like the looks of the bracelet and to me if it enhances the watch it's worth the effort. Congrats Joel!

Review ends at about 5:33 and the sizing starts there, it’s not that bad to size and couple ways to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvPFF1Tgjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG2Tc7cAwgQ

Back
Top Bottom