Luminox Scott Cassell Edition

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
So, spinning off of my “survival” type movies I was watching, of situations I’ve never been in, but admiring the watches that triumph along with the hero, after picking up the AmourLite I recently presented, I spotted what I (correctly) assumed to be an orange dial Luminox – specifically the Black Ops model A8409 – in the film, A Perfect Getaway (great movie, by the way!), worn by Timothy Olyphant’s character.

7AAbT5D.jpg

But, an older movie, thus an older model, and sold out everywhere. BUT, I remembered, a few years back, I gifted my younger brother a very cool Luminox that came in a well stocked “kit” of sorts, the Scott Cassell series diver. I got him the yellow dial version, but recalled they had an orange dial edition as well (other colors too), and, given that it is also now an older model, I was pleased to see the prices are much lower, and was able to score one!

Resembles the Black Ops edition quite a bit, I think, and also filled a space I was wanting, for an orange dial lightweight field watch with Tritium, so, an overall terrific purchase and a good companion buy after just getting the ArmourLite.

The whole kit and caboodle of the set is quite awesome, as are the real life exploits of Captain Scott Cassell, who is basically the kind of guy that Rambo-esque movies are about (without the unhinged elements), an all-around very capable individual, and a fan of Luminox. Hence, the partnership, and there are an array of models in the collaboration with Scott, including some very sweet automatics with extremely robust specs. Proceeds from sales go to help fund various projects in which Scott is involved, exploring and protecting the oceans – one project of which is the Undersea Voyager Project (thus the “UVP” on the dial of the model I bought).

JG3pQjp.jpg

9gStLWa.jpg

So, this comes with three strap options, strap tool, diver extension piece and a compass that can be added to the rubber strap. It is a 45mm polycarbonate (and thus super light) case, running a Swiss quartz (Ronda, I believe), 200m WR, double security gasketed crown, and the use of blue Tritium, with green for highlights, makes for a beauty in the dark.

PmiEOEg.jpg

I was immediately pleased with the vibrant orange and clear readability of the dial and, as usual, the watch and it’s accompanying treats were all of excellent quality.

JU8eBH9.jpg

PX8AVEC.jpg

Took some time to try on the various combinations and was surprised how much I liked the nylon strap with Velcro closure, although the Zulu edition I didn’t like as much, just not a fan of the larger round strap keepers (as opposed to a sleeker NATO). The rubber strap is wonderfully comfortable and the optional compass attachment is clever, and it’s a well-made little compass.

Nylon "webbing" strap first:

p9VxIED.jpg

CrdgZF2.jpg

TfzKBUR.jpg

Nylon "Zulu" style strap -- great colors, but not a big fan of the big ring strap keepers:

hSKeYL1.jpg

dHWUMT3.jpg

vqW0qZA.jpg

And, the really comfortable rubber strap, upon which the compass can be added, and there is the diver's extension piece as well:

zLaXVx3.jpg

oEcHY3N.jpg

4udM3yk.jpg

You can see in the caseback shot here that the polycarb case gets chewed up pretty easily with the strap tool, so, despite its touted toughness, it doesn’t stand up too well to a pointy little fork, haha.

aryohHp.jpg

I’m familiar with Luminox, from a number of prior purchases, and have always been pleased with the brand. I like the Tritium very much and the watches tend to be quite robust. In fact, Luminox even popped up in a recent spread in Road and Track magazine, on highly durable watches, alongside some pretty prestigious brands (Rolex, Breitling, Grand Seiko and Casio).

j7eWTeu.jpg

The first one I ever bought (on the right, below) was the quartz version of the “Modern Mariner” (comes in auto now) which is a blacked out kind of style. I next picked up the ill-fated partnered design with SXC, which later became XCOR, before apparently going bankrupt – a space tourism company with the watch twist that crew and passengers would all be wearing a Luminox “Space Exploration” model. Seems this space tourism thing is not an easy proposition, but I like the watch, which is a GMT model.

A4NUG4e.jpg

I long wanted then the Day/Date Atacama, and, once the priced dropped, was happy to get one, and then not too long ago I bought yet another partnered design, the Ice-SAR (I just LOVE the blue of the dial), that one in collaboration with the Icelandic Association for Search And Rescue. They do love their partnerships over at Luminox! It has a particularly awesome strap, a rubber with a canvas top.

c3tSR0R.jpg

So, that was the Lumi family:

YLNKKTd.jpg

And, the Scott Cassell makes it my fifth pick up from the brand over the years:

Wj6xcBJ.jpg

In another member’s recent comment on Tritium, noting that the lume can vary from brand to brand and is possibly a bit overrated in some cases for the stated “25 year” visibility, it wasn’t until taking the following pics that I noted my oldest watch appearing less bright than my newest, and, in fact, the degree of brightness corresponds pretty clearly to the age of each watch – the newest is the brightest, followed in diminishing degrees by the Ice-SAR, then the Atacama, then the SXC model and finally the Mariner. So, we’ll see how they look in another decade, haha.

zKtfuwp.jpg

Granted, some have larger Tritium tubes, which likely accounts for some of what I was seeing. None are dim enough by any means to not be a reliable improvement over any other lume in prolonged darkness, but I just found it interesting to see the fade.

Finally I added in my non-Luminox watches in the top row (Deep Blue on the left, Aragon in the middle, and the recent ArmourLite at the right), for the total Tritium family! I have to say that the blue of this newest one is really pleasing! A bit difficult to capture on camera, given that I never feel like hauling out my better camera, to adjust exposure, so I lazily just use my phone, haha, but it gives at least a bit of a view.

The Tritium crew:

8PNkvwI.jpg

gdxbY95.jpg

As always, thanks for reading – apologies for the ramble. Always great to share a new pick up here. Another one on the way, plus a little trinket watch I picked up, and then the collection is set to rest, until I decide on what direction to go. After all the Oris weigh-ins, from my other thread, I’m nearly tempted to get one now, haha, but then got a promotional email the other day on the new Seiko Marinemaster, which seems tempting.....

Happy Watchery, all!

luv it pumpkin pantone ...not a fanboy of orange sunray dial...prefer rich flat matte pumpkin...bright tubes there...i think i posted my anecdote about after maybe 5 years a search and rescue tool dimmed before my eyes...and i felt compelled to gift it off the wrist to a stranger in a parking lot...doh

your tubes look bright...and I like the contrast green/blue... because truth is in the wee small hours i get confused like getting up for the airport at 2:30 am instead of 4:30...wifey still pissed

nice kit and family... enjoy your tubes

- that would definitely work for my night ops & ninja missions ( sawing wood )

I've yet to own a LUMI, though that doesn't mean I don't want to own one someday. I'm a little peeved at the company for placing a Navy SEAL warfare logo (which is the zact same design as the warfare device they wear on their uni's) on the case-back of one of their recent models which, I believe , was/is an homage to the SEAL teams and their members. The reason for this angst of mine (which, given the claims of my stalker against me, is a genuine irony! :wink:) is a concern that all of us in the U.S. Armed Forces (including old retirees, like me!) have in making sure that these devices are not mass-produced by too many companies or concerns, thereby opening our logos for mass production by "sketchy" organizations who don't care about fake Navy Seals, aviators, etc., working their way into the picture. (And it is HERE that I'll take a pause and allow my Stalker -- or one of his lackies -- to continue with his libelous claims 'agin me... :loud:)

Nonetheless, I do have to say that I really, really LIKE the looks of this watch, though I DO wish it could be automatic vice quartz. Now, it's not that I'm a quartz H8'er, but it just seems to me that a lot of the time, you reach for that "quartzie," and it's deader than Abe Lincoln's housecat. And those "deadies" keep adding up, and before you know it, you've got two-dozen battery-changes to do, or take to your jeweler so HE can do it. I don't like "deadies," as they can really ruin a guy's night, especially if he's a lazy #@$%, like me... Still, I DO loves me them tritium toobz, as they add a very cool look to the dial, and all without having to charge them boogers up!

And, as Jeol (@surelyuknow) notes above, who doesn't like all them goodies with a brand gnu watch!! Sooooooo, despite my rough beginning with this bit 'o feedback, my overall assessment is highly positive, and even nominally jealous! So, as I'm very fond of saying, I hope you will enjoy then H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks outta this terrific piece of wartch flesch!! :wink:

luv it pumpkin pantone ...not a fanboy of orange sunray dial...prefer rich flat matte pumpkin...bright tubes there...i think i posted my anecdote about after maybe 5 years a search and rescue tool dimmed before my eyes...and i felt compelled to gift it off the wrist to a stranger in a parking lot...doh

your tubes look bright...and I like the contrast green/blue... because truth is in the wee small hours i get confused like getting up for the airport at 2:30 am instead of 4:30...wifey still pissed

nice kit and family... enjoy your tubes

- that would definitely work for my night ops & ninja missions ( sawing wood )

Ahh, yes, my dim bulb brain -- not as bright as Tritium haha -- could not recall who got me thinking about Tritium fade, so, thank you, that was you! And, sad, my laziness for not simply scrolling through to find it, but, yes I wonder if the 25 year shelf life is legit. If I'm still around by then, I guess I'll know, haha. I've even heard that Tritium can be replaced? Would seem a lot of effort and labor....or maybe they just put a new dial in there, idk, lol.

And, yes, for sure, this is a pleasant glow at night. I guess the new generation is accustomed to grabbing a phone, bedside, to check the time, but, for me, it's a rudely bright light, not to mention seeing a bunch of notifications for work or personal stuff, so I've been glad for these watches that provide a reliable glow.

Great for long drives as well, after the sun has long gone down because I got off to a typically late start, ha.

Movie theater as well!

All of those "survival" situations ahahaha!

agree with all your musings... and ...now that i spend less money on watches...I even dig indoglo f.k.a. WATERBURY CLOCK CO and try not to push the button too much-

-but yeah that trit tube fade after only 5 years drove me crazy enough to gift it off the wrist with urgency

- YEAH sometimes i remember the posts and members... but sometimes they are fuzzy...like when i try to remember the members that fall away like melted sno flakes

That's quite the kit and who doesn't like getting extra goodies with their watch purchases? Looking good, congrats and enjoy it...

Thanks very much! Yup, I remember when I got the yellow version for my brother, and was impressed with the wide range of extras, and tucked it away in my mind as a hopeful future purchase.

The wide nylon strap was the most pleasant surprise for me, in this box of fun. Took me a minute to figure out how to mount the watch in it, haha, my first experience with a strap of that sort, and a bit tricky to get the pins in place, but a very comfortable wear option.

Compass addition is also very cool. As I say, my "survival" situations are....non-existent, unless one counts not checking the run time of a film, and running out of popcorn three quarters of the way though. Likely won't need the compass to navigate back to the concession stand, but, yes, this set up does feel cool on the wrist for a weekend hike, and goes nicely with other "survive the end of the world" type gear that is being used for far more mundane tasks.

I guess if Desk Diving is a thing, Urban Field Wear could also be included in owning overbuilt watches for civilian style missions...

I've yet to own a LUMI, though that doesn't mean I don't want to own one someday. I'm a little peeved at the company for placing a Navy SEAL warfare logo (which is the zact same design as the warfare device they wear on their uni's) on the case-back of one of their recent models which, I believe , was/is an homage to the SEAL teams and their members. The reason for this angst of mine (which, given the claims of my stalker against me, is a genuine irony! :wink:) is a concern that all of us in the U.S. Armed Forces (including old retirees, like me!) have in making sure that these devices are not mass-produced by too many companies or concerns, thereby opening our logos for mass production by "sketchy" organizations who don't care about fake Navy Seals, aviators, etc., working their way into the picture. (And it is HERE that I'll take a pause and allow my Stalker -- or one of his lackies -- to continue with his libelous claims 'agin me... :loud:)

Nonetheless, I do have to say that I really, really LIKE the looks of this watch, though I DO wish it could be automatic vice quartz. Now, it's not that I'm a quartz H8'er, but it just seems to me that a lot of the time, you reach for that "quartzie," and it's deader than Abe Lincoln's housecat. And those "deadies" keep adding up, and before you know it, you've got two-dozen battery-changes to do, or take to your jeweler so HE can do it. I don't like "deadies," as they can really ruin a guy's night, especially if he's a lazy #@$%, like me... Still, I DO loves me them tritium toobz, as they add a very cool look to the dial, and all without having to charge them boogers up!

And, as Jeol (@surelyuknow) notes above, who doesn't like all them goodies with a brand gnu watch!! Sooooooo, despite my rough beginning with this bit 'o feedback, my overall assessment is highly positive, and even nominally jealous! So, as I'm very fond of saying, I hope you will enjoy then H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks outta this terrific piece of wartch flesch!! :wink:

I appreciate the tolerance and insight! Yes, I often have thought that the real military professionals must be annoyed at so much stuff plastered with insignia or stated to be a "Special Ops" five dollar pocket knife or whatever. People have been through actual experiences, and reducing such to an advertising tag line is insulting. For that matter, I've read some pushback comments from those who serve, who are not happy with various brands that claim to "provide watches to the military" when it seems such is not the case.

Not sure if it was at Scott Cassell's insistence, or the folks at Luminox, in how this model was finally badged up. His record seems pretty deep (no diving pun intended) so I would assume his savvy understanding of the topic and desire to not see any besmirching of matters of integrity.

Rather amusing, his story of even working with Luminox. He liked the watches for their practical visibility and toughness, but, when contacted by Luminox to collaborate with him, his first response was to hang up on them, thinking it was some shady sales call, haha. When it came to the design, he apparently hauled in his diving equipment to test real world application of proposed elements such as bezel operation and visibility.

Glad you ultimately favored a thumbs up for it.

And, yes, some sweet automatics in the Cassell line up, for sure, and he stated the same reason, that he doesn't carry watch batteries in his pack, and not too many department stores around, when out in the elements, so mechanical is preferred.

I hear you on the battery issue, and have been glad to get into autos. I currently have 28 watches needing batteries, which certainly does add up. I'm usually more on top of it, but my watch guy moved locations of his jewelry store, and hasn't re-opened yet, due to construction delays, so they have slowly been accumulating. He gives me a good deal, but, still, that many battery changes is a cost.

I haven't yet accepted the pending reality of servicing my autos, ahahaha. If I dread taking in ten quartz watches for battery servicing (I have done a few myself, but it's just easier to take them in), having to service a few dozen autos is a bit sobering, for sure. At this point, I'm in denial, going with the idea that servicing isn't needed until it is!

In terms of a Lumi auto, however, given that I'm still enjoying my time with affordables, sinking a few grand was beyond my scope, although I quite like the designs of the automatics in the line up. Jumping up in that range, I don't know if I'd be swayed to a Lumi over other options, but if budget was not an issue, I'd own one just to have one.

Back
Top Bottom