Sales Tax !!!

bundamania

Tyme Twister
Just about everything for me here in Texas now sales taxed... including private out of state purchases on eBay and everywhere else.

Death and taxes. :cry:

giphy.gif

I don't really have a giant problem paying taxes. I mean, without them, what kind of roads would we be driving on? What kind of fire/ police/ emergency systems would we have? This stuff all costs money. My problem is with the misuse of taxes. If they'd just spend the money on what it's intended for, that would be great. JMHO

I don't really have a giant problem paying taxes. I mean, without them, what kind of roads would we be driving on? What kind of fire/ police/ emergency systems would we have? This stuff all costs money. My problem is with the misuse of taxes. If they'd just spend the money on what it's intended for, that would be great. JMHO

:hmm:Maybe you have a calling for politics too...:wow:

sales taxes speeding tickets parking tickets are REGRESSIVE... rich man laugh it off...poor man cry...

- i pay my taxes as a benefit and burden of living in civilization...not gonna cry about it 'kept maybe a tear in my pillow on occasion

what G said... taxes are for benefit of a civilized society...as for pension padding double dipping and outright larceny...that aint kool

Yep - I got hit for sales tax last month on a watch purchase from a private seller from FL and I am in OH (eBay charged/collected OH Sales tax). This definitely impacts any eBay purchases I make - I'll now do my "best offer" factoring in tax as part of the purchase (resulting in a lower offer to the seller).

Yep - I got hit for sales tax last month on a watch purchase from a private seller from FL and I am in OH (eBay charged/collected OH Sales tax). This definitely impacts any eBay purchases I make - I'll now do my "best offer" factoring in tax as part of the purchase (resulting in a lower offer to the seller).

I dealt with this the other day. Guy accepted my counter offer and then canceled the sale because of the sales tax. He was complaining about the tax, and I told him there wasn't anything I could do about it, but then he promptly sent another offer for the $15 off for tax. I took the offer.

I know we have gotten used to not paying taxes on any internet purchases, but come on, we are getting better prices online than we would in a brick and mortar store where we would still have to pay taxes. I think most people are overreacting to the fact that states finally figured out a way to get their dues on this. As far as buying direct from companies, they still are not required to collect taxes from you if they don't have a physical location in your state. I know most of the talk is about eBay, but there are still tax free ways of getting things out there.

I personally don't have a problem paying taxes, it is what feeds those families that provide all of the things that we use daily and take for granted. People complain about the cost of their car registration but then get all pissed off when a road is rough and needs repairs. Well, that is why we pay our registration fees. Sames goes for property taxes and not having enough education money. I could list off tons of things. I vote for those people that I think are going to handle my tax dollars in the best way that they can. I hope everyone here does the same thing. And if you don't vote and try to affect the leadership handling those tax dollars, you don't have a right to complain about it, because you didn't do your part in trying to change it.

The Garden State Parkway tolls were supposed to be removed when the Parkway was paid off. It was paid off decades ago and the tolls have been increasing. the toll plazas also cause backups and congestion, which can lead to accidents. Politicians don't care. they just want money.

Take it from someone who has had no choice to not use the GSP at a certain mile marker. It's a royal PITA sometimes having to get off when the traffic is flowing fine. There are times being on the alternate routes can keep things moving along instead of being stuck in a bottleneck. Sometimes you have no choice but to ride it out to get around a low bridge or weight limit restrictions. Tolls are a necessary evil to keep the overloaded roads in service and partly functional with repaving and putting temporary band-aid repairs on them. There are so many obsolete roads and bridges that were never constructed for the massive volume of traffic on the roads these days. It always amazes me that there are not more disasters on the roads because of failing infrastructures.

RO1sk6r.jpg

Construction of the Garden State Parkway started in 1947 as a toll-free road in Union and Middlesex counties and was designed to alleviate congestion en route to the Jersey Shore. However, problems with funding led to the introduction of tolls, as construction continued in the early 1950s.

It’s easy to understand why drivers did not mind paying a toll to drive on the Parkway. After all, it represented an improvement in travel and it was generally understand that tolls would be removed once the original construction costs were paid, in the early 1970s

Of the $13 billion collected by U.S. toll agencies in the United States, two major New Jersey authorities — the New Jersey Turnpike Authority and Port Authority of New York & New Jersey — collected $2.7 billion, about one-fifth of that amount. In other words, for every $1 toll collected, drivers in New Jersey paid about 20 cents.

But for commuters, tolls are another burden on a New Jersey population that already faces the highest property taxes in the nation, an average $8,200 annually. And anyone with a car must also absorb the cost of a gasoline tax, collected at the pump.

The parkway has seen many improvements over the years, including the addition and reconstruction of interchanges, bridge replacements, widening of the roadway, and removal of at-grade intersections.

Commercial trucks with a registered weight of over 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) are not allowed to use the northern parts of the parkway. All trucks are prohibited north of exit 105, just past the Asbury Park Toll Plaza. From Tinton Falls to the southern end of the parkway at Cape May, trucks are allowed, but must pay additional tolls. Buses are allowed nod for the entire length of the parkway. In April 2011, New Jersey Transportation Commissioner James Simpson announced the NJTA was looking into the possibility of allowing trucks on the northern portion of the Garden State Parkway. However, the idea was quickly abandoned after the agency found the road had engineering concerns that would make the consideration of allowing trucks on this segment impossible.

The Garden State Parkway was built to be a toll free road. Fast forward to 2018 and we can laugh a bit at that notion. Can you imagine a toll free Parkway? What does this have to do with construction on the Parkway? Everything. The tolls and construction have a symbiotic relationship that will never, ever end.

The agreement was that as long as there was construction on the Parkway the New Jersey Highway Authority would be allowed to keep the tolls. Do you see where this is going?

According to State of New Jersey Executive Order #128 under Governor Donald T. DiFrancesco, "...it was widely understood by the public that tolls on the [GSP] would only be necessary until such time as the bonds financing the cost of the construction of the Parkway could be retired...there is no existing plan or timetable to either permanently retire the bonds of the Authority or to phase out tolls on the Parkway..."

This executive order was released back in 2001. As long as there is construction on the Parkway there will be tolls. As long as there are tolls on the Parkway there will be construction. The circle of the Parkway life.

Read More: Why There Will Always Be Construction On the Parkway | https://catcountry1073.com/why-ther...rkway/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Back
Top Bottom