Aragon Birthday Excuse #1

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
So......a big THANKS to all of you who have shared your Aragon purchases and, considering their excellent prices, even my bank account is thankful for not being excessively drained, haha. This is a long story, so, apologies, and please skip to the watch part to avoid the rambling. Unless you’re currently not occupied, then, strap on some oxygen tanks for the deep dive of reading, and read on...

I was aware of Android watches, in the past, had never purchased one, but had always heard great things, and the very positive reputation seemed to definitely follow to the rebranding as Aragon. Seeing models posted up here, it began to stick in my watch-addled brain that these larger cased beauties needed to be explored.

Reminded me much of when I first came across Invicta, as these seem a lot of watch for the money, plus, I just think it’s pretty awesome to buy from a watch enthusiast who is sharing a vision with us watch nuts, and I am a fan of micro brands, even those that grow to the point of starting to seem more macro than micro.

The birthday idea, for my brother, began with looking for a yellow dial watch. I’d gotten him a yellow faced Luminox, a few years ago, but that got him wanting a yellow dialed diver, on steel. I bought a Victorinox INOX Professional, years back, and he really liked it, and I was strongly considering getting him the yellow dial version of that, but it was proving quite difficult to find it on the bracelet anywhere, especially to arrive in time for the planned birthday weekend excursion.

In the meantime, since he’s started a lot of pretty hefty hiking adventures, I was considering also some kind of highly durable compass or outdoors themed watch, and came across the brand, Isobrite, which had a pretty awesome looking Explorer model, a Limited Edition, with T100 tritium tubes and a lumed kind of three dimensional globe thing going on, and that’s the one I was sold on. They also had a bright yellow dial one, so I ordered both watches.

Opting for expedited shipping, they were set to arrive two days before leaving for the trip, which seemed perfect. However, on arrival…instead of the cool Explorer, they messed up the order and sent some glowing skull dial horror fest looking thing, which was an epic fail. No disrespect to the watch, just not the kind of watch my brother would wear, not to mention not being the one I’d ordered. Seems it was nearly the same model number, different by one digit, and was mistakenly packaged and sent.

Looking then at the yellow one as well, and realizing it was way too similar to the yellow faced Luminox I’d bought him a few years back, I scrapped that entire plan and the seller was great about it, saying I could ship back the watches for refund, once back from the trip.

Seller was even set to have the correct Isobrite shipped overnight, so they really worked hard to make it right, but, the more I pondered, the more it seemed I needed to re-think it, and sometimes mistakes such as these are just a good opportunity to pivot to a different direction.

One of those, "the universe spoke to me" kind of moments, I guess. (Insert meditative music here!)

Returning to the notion of a tough outdoors watch, I smacked my head repeatedly for failing to think of the obvious choice of a G Shock! I have one, and he's always liked it, so seemed the prime time to add one to his collection. Found a perfect model, the Gravitymaster, in the colors he likes, WITH a compass feature, and was able to overnight it, and pick it up the morning before the trip. Some other gifts as well of course, but hiking watch solved!

So, having passed on the Isobrite, that set me to re-thinking the yellow dial idea, and recalling that Victorinox he'd wanted, or some variant at least of a yellow diver on steel, so, a quick search that morning brought me to none other than options from Aragon, which, as I say, was already on my mind. I found the original Divemaster design, which I liked most (or, it’s original to me, at least, versus what is being called the Divemaster II) and, not only spotted the yellow, but also spotted a sweet looking blue that I really liked, and so I placed the double order. I mean, hey, got the credit card out anyway....right?

Since my dealings with Isobrite had really got me like the idea of owning a T100 piece (I have a lot of T25 models, mostly from Luminox), since part of being a lume fan is being intrigued by even brighter Tritium, my eye also caught another beautiful Aragon model, the Parma T100, which I couldn’t get off my mind, and wound up ordering that one before even getting back from the coast trip, haha.

It just arrived and I will review it soon. I LOVE it.

Long story long then, it seemed some fateful twists of the watch gods tied this whole package together, since my brother was thrilled with the watches he received and, with joyfulness for all, the birthday shopping also netted two new watches for me! Happy Birthday to everyone!

The trip itself, by the way, hugely restful and a great and relaxing time! Family tradition, from long ago childhood, of a beach campfire, roasted hot dogs and marshmallows, and terrific bro time!

Some pics:

E9almF5.jpg

47eIX7s.jpg

Pofs0n1.jpg

fBYQjQ9.jpg

DZYcjeN.jpg

And, upon return, there was waiting the Aragon Divermaster NH35A for my brother:

scLeWy7.jpg

Success -- he loves it!

And, riding the birthday shopping excuse train....

My Aragon, in brilliant blue! Again, the same original or earlier iteration of the Divemaster, which seems just called the Divemaster NH35A.

Despite being a big watch fan, or perhaps still recovering from my Grand Octane overload, haha, I opted for the 45mm version (same for my brother) and it is a very tidy, beefy yet entirely unobtrusive size, nearly perfect in fact and perfect assuredly for this style of diver, I felt.

Loved the attention that even goes in the product boxing and, though the watch will live in a winder, I nonetheless like the care and excellence shown, with a very well made and sturdy gift box, even having a magnetic closure and solid hinges.

YmZm21C.jpg

ZdDygpB.jpg

lSvowtR.jpg

The logo is almost Subaqua-esque, and I liked that very much.

The watch itself? An impressive diver, especially at the price point and I’m again amazed with how these non-Seiko brands can case up these trusty Seiko movements so beautifully. While I know ETA’s are everywhere, there surely must be a place in watch history for the reach and versatility of Seiko automatics.

p8vxIfp.jpg

I found the blue to be riveting, that kind of electric blue that sings in any lighting condition. Applied indices, and, y’all know I’m a lume fan, so I was very excited for both generously lumed hands and markers, as well as a lumed bezel.

ZufRp0Y.jpg

uz7hj4A.jpg

Happy to say the lume did NOT disappoint!

4f221VY.jpg

Date window in a spot I like, at three, and keeping a partial lumed index marker in the process (nice!), a branded clasp, great brushwork finishing on the case, impressively comfortable and girthy bracelet, and an exhibition caseback with the thoughtful detail of red branding on the nicely knurled screw down crown.

an5KB09.jpg

x5Kkzb7.jpg

Sxjpqwb.jpg

0DLvGMz.jpg

The bezel is an impressive bit of work, with the brushing reminding me somewhat of my Breitling Colt, where the finish plays nicely in the light, looking sometimes dark gray, and other times more plain stainless, but, at any angle, an attractive feature.

Bezel operation is super smooth, and everything lines up correctly. I find the lume paint, with the slight greenish hue, to bring a welcome accent of color (worked nicely on the yellow dial edition, as well).

The red second hand is also a well placed splash of vibrance. A really attractive dive watch, I feel, looking toolish and giving that sense of water or beach adventure, yet sufficiently restrained so as not to look out of place in the absence of a shark tank and scuba gear and having no air of yelling “Brah! Do you even water?!?” while wearing it.

Happy at the beach, but happy out to dine afterward, as well, so, a versatile sport watch, I’d say.

Z4vjepI.jpg

Basic specs, 45mm, as noted, 17mm thick, 200m WR and of course, as already mentioned, the Seiko NH35A, hacking, hand winding auto, 24 jewel, approx. 40h PR, 3hz (21,600 bph), -20 to +40 secs/day in accuracy. It’s been a terrific powerhouse in every watch I own, not glamorous perhaps, but very reliable, and most often operating within a range of plus or minus five to ten seconds a day, which is very near to COSC spec without the COSC price tag. K1 mineral crystal over the dial.

Super comfy on the wrist.

G8tFlQd.jpg

I particularly liked the design of the hands, as obvious nods to Seiko. It is just very at home in the populated dive watch world, echoing the best of established traditions yet, to me, having something new enough to say to have its own place.

OnPedZD.jpg

Let downs? Really, none. I don’t have the experience to even enter a conversation on Android versus Aragon, but my impression of this build is very positive. If I was pressed to be nitpicky, I do see upper range models in their line up with sapphire, and, given the availability of it now on so many $300 range micros, I would be pleased if it was offered here. Would also be happier with solid machined, instead of stamped or pressed metal clasp bridge pieces, as well.

As far as screws versus pins in the bracelet, the ease of sizing the bracelet was welcomed, although at first I was a bit concerned about the lack of friction in the pins, for holding strength, but, once reassembled, no issues at all. Everything is holding rock solid. I suppose I could also whine that it’s not a 4hz movement, lol, but that would just be making myself moan for no real reason -- and nobody wants to hear that!

All in all then, this is a home run hit out of the city in which the ballpark is located and, again, I THANK the members here for sharing their watches, which always remains an inspiration and continues, all these years on in this journey of watchery, to introduce me to new prospects to explore.

A great birthday, and some great watches!

jqIMl5h.jpg

Will post up the Parma T100 soon. Because....watches!

Great story to read. I enjoy a good watch story no doubt. Wings Android and Aragon Divemasters are my favorite designs that he offers. I have have an Aragon Divemaster Meteorite and Divemaster 9100. I wear them a lot. I also have three Android Divemasters but I used all three to make one modded Divemaster.

Cool pictures and thanks for sharing.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.

OUTSTANDING pick-ups, mon ami! Congratulations on not only a terrific write-up and photo OP, but for your amazing selections, as well. Although I STILL very much miss the Android name and ethos, Wing has brought ARAGON to the forefront of some amazing watches since the change-over occurred, and I am proud to own some of the very self-same models as seen above. Little-by-slowly, we're seeing Wing have more and more success with the bottom line in this often-shaky biz we've all learned to deal with over time, and these amazing models go a long way to remind us that Wing indeed knows what he's doing...

ALL YOU NEED NOW, WING, IS TO DITCH THAT OLD CLUNKER OF YOURS AND PICK UP A MERCEDES BENZ!! After ALL, if it was good enough for Miss Janice, well then, it orta be good'nuff for YOU, Mr. Wing!! :drink: :think:
-Oh, HIM? That's Wing's Personal Chauffeur...he worked at Chernobyl before THAT!

Thanks, Sir J! Definitely loving these Aragons!

Is there a story behind the brand name switch? Something strategic to it, or just a reintroduction of his vision? Just curious....

Back
Top Bottom