Reator Auto/quartz Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

scantor

Tyme Master
Was looking on Timevisions and found this.Expensive $1249.95

Nice! I've always wondered about those auto/quartz movements. Do they operate like a standard quartz and the rotor is only in use to keep a standard rechargable battery topped off, or does the battery function like a capacitor and run down if not in use for a relatively short period of time like the power reserve of an automatic movement left unmoved or rewound.

Is anyone reading this familiar with this type of movement and its operation?
:dunno:

Unique and interesting watch.. The Auto quartz movement is sweet!! Just like Tymebanit I would like to know how it functions. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice watch and futuristic type movement just out of my price wheelhouse at present.

Reactor has had these models for several years now.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/reactor-poseidon-1000m-dive-watch/

The big daddy watch from Reactor is this Poseidon model - and has been available since last Fall or so. It is available in a standard and limited edition version. Each has style differences, and the Limited Edition Poseidon model contains a Seiko made Kinetic (automatic rotor spins to charge the battery) quartz movement. There is even an exhibition caseback so that you can see the rotor. Exhibition case backs on quartz watches are very rare. You can see the limited edition here with orange hues and different hands. I do like the limited edition better.
The standard Poseidon model has a standard Japanese quartz movement with a 10 year battery. The two watches share a number of characteristics, including the chunky 48mm wide steel case with brushed steel, and black applications. The metal bracelet is two tone as well. At standard model is available on either strap, but the limited edition comes with both the metal bracelet and rubber strap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_quartz

Automatic quartz is a collective term describing watch movements that combine a self-winding rotor mechanism (as used in automatic mechanical watches) to generate electricity with a piezoelectric quartz crystal as its timing element. Such movements aim to provide the advantages of quartz without the environmental impact of batteries. Several manufacturers employ this technique.

A rotating pendulum inside the case is attached to a relatively large gear which meshes with a very small pinion. As the wearer moves, the pendulum turns and spins the pinion at a very high speed - up to 100,000 rpm. This is coupled to a miniature electrical generator which charges a storage device which is a capacitor(s) or a rechargeable battery
. A typical full charge will last between two weeks and six months.

Seiko

Japanese company Seiko pioneered the technique which it unveiled at the Baselworld 1986 trade show under the trial name AGM.[SUP][1][/SUP] The first such watch was released in Germany in January 1988 and April of the same year in Japan (under the name Auto-Quartz).[SUP][2][/SUP] The watches had an average monthly rate of ±15 sec and provided 75 hours of continuous operation when fully powered. Early automatic quartz movements were called AGS (Automatic Generating System); in 1991 the company introduced the Kinetic brand name. Today Seiko offers a wide range of watches with various Kinetic movements. The top of the line is the caliber 9T82, included in Sportura (international brand) and PROSPEX (only marketed in Japan) Collection. It is sold in limited volume at a price range of about US$3000 which makes it one of the most expensive automatic quartz watches. Kinetic technology has also been used in some of Seiko's Pulsar and Lorus watches. As of 2007, Seiko has sold more than eight million automatic quartz watches.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Ken (tunacious) prob has a great price compared to many sellers. I'd totally get this if I could afford it.

A very sharp, and intriguing time piece for sure. Above my pay grade however.

Reactor has had these models for several years now.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/reactor-poseidon-1000m-dive-watch/

The big daddy watch from Reactor is this Poseidon model - and has been available since last Fall or so. It is available in a standard and limited edition version. Each has style differences, and the Limited Edition Poseidon model contains a Seiko made Kinetic (automatic rotor spins to charge the battery) quartz movement. There is even an exhibition caseback so that you can see the rotor. Exhibition case backs on quartz watches are very rare. You can see the limited edition here with orange hues and different hands. I do like the limited edition better.
The standard Poseidon model has a standard Japanese quartz movement with a 10 year battery. The two watches share a number of characteristics, including the chunky 48mm wide steel case with brushed steel, and black applications. The metal bracelet is two tone as well. At standard model is available on either strap, but the limited edition comes with both the metal bracelet and rubber strap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_quartz

Automatic quartz is a collective term describing watch movements that combine a self-winding rotor mechanism (as used in automatic mechanical watches) to generate electricity with a piezoelectric quartz crystal as its timing element. Such movements aim to provide the advantages of quartz without the environmental impact of batteries. Several manufacturers employ this technique.

A rotating pendulum inside the case is attached to a relatively large gear which meshes with a very small pinion. As the wearer moves, the pendulum turns and spins the pinion at a very high speed - up to 100,000 rpm. This is coupled to a miniature electrical generator which charges a storage device which is a capacitor(s) or a rechargeable battery
. A typical full charge will last between two weeks and six months.

Seiko

Japanese company Seiko pioneered the technique which it unveiled at the Baselworld 1986 trade show under the trial name AGM.[SUP][1][/SUP] The first such watch was released in Germany in January 1988 and April of the same year in Japan (under the name Auto-Quartz).[SUP][2][/SUP] The watches had an average monthly rate of ±15 sec and provided 75 hours of continuous operation when fully powered. Early automatic quartz movements were called AGS (Automatic Generating System); in 1991 the company introduced the Kinetic brand name. Today Seiko offers a wide range of watches with various Kinetic movements. The top of the line is the caliber 9T82, included in Sportura (international brand) and PROSPEX (only marketed in Japan) Collection. It is sold in limited volume at a price range of about US$3000 which makes it one of the most expensive automatic quartz watches. Kinetic technology has also been used in some of Seiko's Pulsar and Lorus watches. As of 2007, Seiko has sold more than eight million automatic quartz watches.[SUP][1][/SUP]

I knew Mike would have info on this movement.

Ken (tunacious) prob has a great price compared to many sellers. I'd totally get this if I could afford it.

Same here. I looked into this several times. Was going to use the 100$ off coupon code. Cool watch !!!

Interesting phraseology on the case back of the one with the Seiko Kinetic. One assumes they were aiming for "limited" and missed.

From ABlogtoWatch:
Reactor-Poseidon-LE-watch-back.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom