Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toys R Us plans second act by holiday season

Tyme Machine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope KB Toys still decides to make a return by yrs end.

2. The Following Like This Post

Super Moderator
    Deals Master
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Post Toys "R" Us may be coming back.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/10/03/new...and/index.html

Toys "R" Us may be coming back.

October 3, 2018: 7:28 AM ET

The company closed all of its US stores in June as part of a bankruptcy liquidation. But the owners of the company's remaining assets are looking into restarting the business, as well as the related Babies "R" Us brand, the company disclosed in a court filing this week.

Toys "R" Us had planned to auction off the rights to its name and the Babies "R" Us brand. Bidders had already made offers for them, according to the filing. But the company's owners decided to cancel the auction.
    The company said it is considering "a new, operating Toys 'R' Us and Babies 'R' Us branding company," the filing said. The plan would "create new, domestic, retail operating businesses under the Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us names, as well as expand its international presence and further develop its private brands business."
    The details of when and how the brand would be brought back to life were not disclosed.
    The fact that other bidders were interested in buying the name doesn't necessarily mean that others were looking to bring it back to life. Companies often buy the brands of out-of-business competitors in bankruptcy court to make sure the brand can't be used again by a new rival. Details of who was looking to buy the Toys "R" Us brand also was not disclosed in the bankruptcy filing.
    Toys "R" Us filed for bankruptcy a year ago, with the plans to use the reorganization process to shed debt and remain in business. But after a disastrously bad Christmas shopping season the company announced in March that it would close its remaining 800 US stores and go out of business.
    That cost about 31,000 workers their jobs. The 70-year old retailer shut down in June.

"I Live For Watch Deals"

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This could buy them another 18 months....tops! They need to change to compete.

Welcome to WatchinTyme, where you don't have to wipe your feet before entering! But don't bother me because I'm on my coffee break!

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just like all the other big box stores, JCPenney, Sears/Kmart, etc. Walmart is changing and its working for them. Target has also started to change and they are seeing the effects of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wambo View Post
    This could buy them another 18 months....tops! They need to change to compete.
    Dan

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccartney View Post
    Just like all the other big box stores, JCPenney, Sears/Kmart, etc. Walmart is changing and its working for them. Target has also started to change and they are seeing the effects of it as well.
    I hope that they do, otherwise, they could be doomed to the same fate if they continue with the old business model. I would have rather bought my kids bikes from them, instead of the expensive store at the Jersey shore.

Welcome to WatchinTyme, where you don't have to wipe your feet before entering! But don't bother me because I'm on my coffee break!

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

Super Moderator
    Deals Master
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    https://wtop.com/dc/2018/12/closure-...toys-for-tots/

December 12, 2018 5:19 pm

WASHINGTON — The closure of Toys R Us is creating problems this year for charity Toys for Tots, which has relied on the chain for donations of money and toys.
    Toys for Tots has struggled to fill the nearly $8 million hole left by the company that filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September. For the last 14 years, Toys R Us has been a major contributor to the group that collects new toys and distributes them to needy children during the holidays.
    The charity, run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve, raises millions of dollars in cash and toys annually, said Lt. Gen. Pete Osman, the President and CEO for the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation.

“When you lose $8 million like that at one swipe, it’s hard,” he said. “But fortunately several of the other corporate sponsors have stepped up.”
    Hasbro and Disney have both agreed to give even more toys in years-past, but Toys for Tots is relying more on individual donors this year than in the past to fill the financial void.
    The charity has grown from a small toy drive by one U.S. Marine Corps unit in 1947, to delivering toys to children in nearly 800 communities in all 50 states.
    Despite the financial challenges, the charity hopes this year to reach over 60 percent more children in the D.C.-area than in previous toy drives, Osman said.
    Toys for Tots has received great support this year from the First Lady Melania Trump and Mayor Muriel Bowser, but still needs help of kind individuals this holiday season.
    “We really need the local donor to really get on board, and help shore up that campaign,” he said.

Those out shopping can drop off new toys at any D.C. fire station.
    Toys for Tots also accepts monetary donations on its website: www.toysfortots.org

"I Live For Watch Deals"

Tyme Machine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leelovesbug View Post
    https://wtop.com/dc/2018/12/closure-...toys-for-tots/

December 12, 2018 5:19 pm

WASHINGTON — The closure of Toys R Us is creating problems this year for charity Toys for Tots, which has relied on the chain for donations of money and toys.
    Toys for Tots has struggled to fill the nearly $8 million hole left by the company that filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September. For the last 14 years, Toys R Us has been a major contributor to the group that collects new toys and distributes them to needy children during the holidays.
    The charity, run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve, raises millions of dollars in cash and toys annually, said Lt. Gen. Pete Osman, the President and CEO for the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation.

“When you lose $8 million like that at one swipe, it’s hard,” he said. “But fortunately several of the other corporate sponsors have stepped up.”
    Hasbro and Disney have both agreed to give even more toys in years-past, but Toys for Tots is relying more on individual donors this year than in the past to fill the financial void.
    The charity has grown from a small toy drive by one U.S. Marine Corps unit in 1947, to delivering toys to children in nearly 800 communities in all 50 states.
    Despite the financial challenges, the charity hopes this year to reach over 60 percent more children in the D.C.-area than in previous toy drives, Osman said.
    Toys for Tots has received great support this year from the First Lady Melania Trump and Mayor Muriel Bowser, but still needs help of kind individuals this holiday season.
    “We really need the local donor to really get on board, and help shore up that campaign,” he said.

Those out shopping can drop off new toys at any D.C. fire station.
    Toys for Tots also accepts monetary donations on its website: www.toysfortots.org

I did my part to help. Just donated Five Nixon watches I bought in an ebay sale you posted from Watchgooroo. Just got them today and headed down to my bank which has a Toys for Tots collection box. Hope to create some new watch addicts for the future of our crazy hobby.

13. The Following Like This Post

Super Moderator
    Deals Master
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    http://www.wafb.com/2019/02/12/toys-...oliday-season/

Toys R Us plans second act by holiday season

February 12, 2019 at 7:46 AM CST - Updated February 12 at 9:12 AM

NEW YORK (AP) — Toys R Us fans in the U.S. should see the iconic brand re-emerge in some form by this holiday season.

Richard Barry, a former Toys R Us executive and now CEO of the new company called Tru Kids Brands, told The Associated Press he and his team are still working on the details, but they're exploring various options including freestanding stores and shops within existing stores. He says that e-commerce will play a key role.

Toys R Us, buckling under competition from Amazon and several billions of dollars of debt, filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in September 2017 and then liquidated its businesses last year in the U.S. as well as several other regions including the United Kingdom.

In October, a group of investors won an auction for Toys R Us assets, believing they would do better by potentially reviving the toy chain, rather than selling it off for parts. Starting Jan. 20, Barry and several other former Toys R Us executives founded Tru Kids and are now managing the Toys R Us, Babies R Us and Geoffrey brands. Toys R Us generated $3 billion in global retail sales in 2018. Tru Kids estimates that 40 percent to 50 percent of Toys R Us market share is still up for grabs despite many retailers like Walmart and Target expanding their toy aisles.

"These brands are beloved by customers," said Barry. He noted that the company will focus on experiences in the physical stores, which could be about 10,000 square feet. The original Toys R Us stores were roughly about 40,000 square feet.

Barry said he and his team have been reaching out to toy makers and have received strong support. But he acknowledged that many had been burned by the Toys R Us liquidation.

Tru Kids, based in Parsippany, New Jersey, about a 20 minute drive from Wayne, New Jersey, where Toys R Us was based, will work with licensing partners to open 70 stores this year in Asia, India and Europe. Outside the U.S., Toys R Us continues to operate about 800 stores.

"I Live For Watch Deals"

15. The Following 2 Users Like This Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This could be the biggest hurdle...

"Barry said he and his team have been reaching out to toy makers and have received strong support. But he acknowledged that many had been burned by the Toys R Us liquidation."

Life is short...don't waste a minute of it. Gary

17. The Following Like This Post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123