DIY: Cyclops Killer by tymebandit - Back From The Dead!

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
image.php

I'm one of those guys that dislikes (external) Cyclops magnifiers and roam the land removing them wherever I go. Nothing is more embarrassing than someone asking to see your beautiful awesome watch and you have to hand it to them with all kinds of lint and unidentified gunk around the base of the magnifier.
I often get asked how I remove them so neatly. I just follow the instructions in the video below. Don't be afraid guys, I've done it dozens of times without any problems, its just as easy as it looks in the video and I've used this method on mineral, hardened mineral, Krysterna, Flame Fusion, and sapphire crystals. The most important step is to keep your eye on the magnifier once you apply the heat because the "puff of release" can happen very quickly, and you don't want to overheat the crystal and possibly cause any damage.
Also I've never found the need to use any chemical solvent to remove residue.
The sharp blade used for removal of the magnifier works just fine to scrape off any residue if any happens to remain, don't worry, crystal material is scratch resistant. Good luck to all of those like me that wish to smite the Cyclops . . .

BEFORE

80fdf4fe-838f-4808-bea9-3c6d072ad471_zpsa6e48ccc.jpg

AFTER

a3274a6d-f115-4b2f-98d7-efdd7af60673_zps885dc3f7.jpg

100_3084_zps17fa1f61.jpg

I'M A BROOKLYN BOY, I TAKE SOME GETTIN' USED TO

Last edited by tymebandit; 04-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.

09-06-17 ..........DIY option to install a cyclops

Last edited by a moderator:

[p][em][font face=georgia color=#)9)ee6 size=4]A true Blast from the Past! A great salvage job Mike. Thanks for posting. :)[/font][/em][/p]

Awesome salvage that will prove helpful to many future WITs. Thanks![br]Great video demo of this scary (at first) but simple procedure.[br][br]GTfan

I was wondering if applying heat would work for getting these things off of there. Good work Sir and thank you.

Another great tutorial found.....I hope this guy doesn't see how to remove a cyclops...

Last edited by a moderator:

That's very cool, Arthur. The only problem for me is that now, I won't be able to see the damn date.

Good god that's scary. It looks so easy but I'd fear damaging the bezel with the flame. Hell, who am I kidding. I'm going to give this a try on an old watch.

Great Info and a super video on the project.

Thanks for bringing this over. Glad you guys are finding all of this stuff that we used to have access too on WG.

Any thoughts on using a heat gun as opposed to flame? Not sure if that would be better or worse for the bezel.

I just avoid buying watches with a magnifier . Eazy peazy that way.

Ever since this was originally posted at wg's, I have used this technique several times. I was a little nervous using it on a Chase Durer with a sapphire crystal, but it worked fine. A bit more glue residue was left then with Invictas, but a few swipes with goof off took care of that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

I had a miserable cyclops on a new watch and hated it. Using this DIY I just got it off.

Thank you! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

I had a miserable cyclops on a new watch and hated it. Using this DIY I just got it off.

Thank you! :D

Glad It worked for you Tom. Your Cyclops Killer membership card is in the mail! :grin:up:

Congrats to all those who used this video and succeeded. Thanks, Mike and Arthur.

Do all butane torches provide the right flame/heat for the job? I don't own one - any recommendations?

Do all butane torches provide the right flame/heat for the job? I don't own one - any recommendations?

Yes! As long as it's a butane torch and not a standard cigarette lighter (a Bic won't do)
:)

You can pick up the one seen in the video at any Home Depot, Super market or smoke shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Refillable-Lighter-Grilling-BBQ-Adjustable/dp/B00B2ATAYY/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458507959&sr=1-7&keywords=butane+lighter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom