Prednisone anniversary

gman66

Tyme Master Jr.
Founding Member
Feb.14 marks one full year on Prednisone for me. It's done some good for me, but I wonder if the side effects are worth it. They're bringing me down 5mg every 2 weeks (now 45mg/day from 80mg). The last time they came down too fast, and I lost vision in my right eye. Hope this time has better results...

I've been on Prednisone for arthritis/swelling in my leg from a motorcycle accident I had years ago.

Since my knee replacement thankfully I haven't had to take it again, hope I never do.

I didn't like the side effects at all. That's a serious medicine Gary. :no:

Best of luck. Glad at least your back to being able to participate here as you were missed. I've personally been on blood thinners(warfarin) for over a year now from a blood clot in my leg that is taking it's sweet assed time to go away. Sucks as I work outside in bad weather here in Minnesota as a walking mail carrier and one fall and hit my head and I'm screwed. Wearing a damn bike helmet and looking let's just say a little "special" out on my route.

Best of luck. Glad at least your back to being able to participate here as you were missed. I've personally been on blood thinners(warfarin) for over a year now from a blood clot in my leg that is taking it's sweet assed time to go away. Sucks as I work outside in bad weather here in Minnesota as a walking mail carrier and one fall and hit my head and I'm screwed. Wearing a damn bike helmet and looking let's just say a little "special" out on my route.
We do what we gotta do, my friend. It ain't always easy... :drink:

Hey Gary, I hope you can be weaned off it okay and that your health remains stable.

I have taken prednisone for allergic reactions, mainly severe (and I mean severe) seasonal hay fever. Man it was like a magic silver bullet the first time I was given it. Within hours I felt human again. But I was only on it for a week. I have also taken it during bouts of gout attacks, and it has helped a lot. I have been told, and also read, that long term use is not a good thing. So, it blows my mind to learn you have taken it for a whole year now!

I’ll keep my fingers crossed and pray for you Gary. I really hope it all goes well for you.:)

Millions of people and pets around the world are on chronic steroids such as prednisone. Most meds have long term and short term adverse affects, but when the alternative is death or severe debilitation, I will take the chance. :wink:

Millions of people and pets around the world are on chronic steroids such as prednisone. Most meds have long term and short term adverse affects, but when the alternative is death or severe debilitation, I will take the chance. :wink:

I know, doc. but I think the side effects are winning. Balloon face, gained 35 lbs., elevated blood pressure(often over 200), edema, leg muscle weakness, shortness of breath, thin skin, sleeping problems, no energy.........and a quality of life that makes me wonder if it's all worth it. My rheumatologist says they don't want you on this stuff more than 9 months, but the inflammatory markers went up the 1st 2 times they tried to wean me off of it. Now that I'm getting weekly injections of Actemra, the dosage reduction seems to be going better. Don't know if I'll win this battle, but I'll go down swingin'. :)

I know, doc. but I think the side effects are winning. Balloon face, gained 35 lbs., elevated blood pressure(often over 200), edema, leg muscle weakness, shortness of breath, thin skin, sleeping problems, no energy.........and a quality of life that makes me wonder if it's all worth it. My rheumatologist says they don't want you on this stuff more than 9 months, but the inflammatory markers went up the 1st 2 times they tried to wean me off of it. Now that I'm getting weekly injections of Actemra, the dosage reduction seems to be going better. Don't know if I'll win this battle, but I'll go down swingin'. :)
Taking them when not needed is also bad. Still, Scotty got it right.

Back
Top Bottom