Well I Finally Caught a Swordfish

darkoverlord

Tyme Master Jr.
1558600154-marlin-960x540.png

Zelos, zelos, Zelos.... How I've danced around getting a Zelos. Why? Well for one I love how Zelos designs are overwhelmingly original. Secondly having met Elshan he is a great guy and someone you want to patronize. Zelos uses color in great ways, the prices always seems great for what you get.

So why not before now? Well I've been lucky enough to try on pretty much every Zelos design in person. There's always been something that falls just short for me. Often size, occasionally design ( as much as I live the Abyss design I always thought it was too thick and clunky looking from the side as an example.)

As such I got to try on the Zelos Swordfish V1 last year and was very close to grabbing the aquamarine. But things just didn't seem quite there. The bracelet seemed a little unrefined, the clasp seemed a poor fit and at $500+ (only had the Eta version) it doesn't didn't seem worth it.

BUT when version two was announced I was very intrigued. A promise of bracelet refinements, new dial colors, but most of all.... the biggest difference was the black indices. It just made the dial look right somehow compared to the yellowish markers of V1.

So at the pre-order price, I decided I was in.... but then: WHAT COLOR/DIAL CHOICE?

Black sand? Cool but I didn't want the vintage lume
Midnight blue? Very tempting but pics made me think the bezel color and dial were too far off even though I would've preferred a ceramic bezel.

So that left ice blue and helical. I love brighter colors, I love etched dials.

I don't even really know why, but I went helical blue....
The color of this helical blue dial is so dark. It might as well be black indoors, its grey sometimes but you can see in the light there is blue. Its so dark it reminds me of the NY Yankess blue.

so here are some pics and then I'll give you some thoughts.

Untitled by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
What's in the BOX?

the tropic rubber strap does not come standard with the package. however I ordered a Zelos branded black rubber strap as an add-on. Elshan sent this tropic by mistake however he is already sending me the proper strap, so that will be here in a couple weeks.

oh this is a Zelos... where's the lume you say?

Some notes:
The Good to Very good
*Overall design of the case, it's reminiscent of the Seiko Samurai but plenty different and angular
*The cut-out dial and etching
*The crown assembly, very firm
*The lume of course
* fit and comfort
*small details like the applied logo, signed crown

The ok
*The bracelet and the brushing
* The hands, the design is actually great and the execution is also great but they are also a little too thick for the dial space IMO
*overall case finishing, certainly good for the price
*Clasp, quality milled scissors but he clasp cover and flip lock are a little flimsy feeling
*Movement, NH35 good but hard to get excited about.
*bezel

The not so good
*the bracelet is a hair puller
*the tolerances on the solid end links are super tight so it is a pain to change out the bracelet and even more so to reattach it.
*The shipping... it took forever.

How about some close ups!

Glad you finally received it Gavin. I don't agree with you about version one finish and clasp. I liked V1 so much I asked Elshan if I could buy a complete bracelet to swap out. That's the great thing about our hobby everyone has different perspective on the same watch and they are all important. I sometimes think a certain Invicta model is a piece of crap and others can love the same watch.

Nice to see you took the plunge and landed a nice one! Congrats and thanks for the unbiased feedback.

real pretty dial.... ouch... needs a strap...nice PU thoughtful detailed insightful informative honest review... wit don't need no stinkin' cheer leader

Glad you finally received it Gavin. I don't agree with you about version one finish and clasp. I liked V1 so much I asked Elshan if I could buy a complete bracelet to swap out. That's the great thing about our hobby everyone has different perspective on the same watch and they are all important. I sometimes think a certain Invicta model is a piece of crap and others can love the same watch.

absolutely, there are no absolutes in our hobby. as for the clasp, the first version is well made. I just felt it was large for the bracelet and the bracelet being on the light side, the clasp weighted it down and gave it more flex than I'd like. A small detail and not a deal breaker, just a personal observation. Honestly at this price point I really can't complain about this version or the first. But at the ETA price?

I've definitely enjoyed wearing it these past couple days.

I agree Gavin. If there's a choice I'll always take the $299.00 version if the movement is the only difference. I have plenty of SW200 Zelos models that were $349, a few Miyota 9015 models and the GMT ETA 2893 Horizon. Hard to find fault with price/value ratio IMO.

Back
Top Bottom