Our smartphone is making us dumber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over reliance on technology is dangerous and breeds laziness in many forms ,especially daily thinking.

It has always been that way in different forms as long as I can recall. Simple calculators in school and than smart cash registers that tell the cashier how much change to give out,and sadly without these tools in their daily life,some are so dependent on them they can't figure out simple math. I have milk crates filled with Hagstrom and ADC laminated spiral bound map books accumulated though years, long before GPS came into use.Some of the rookies today open them up and just stare at the pretty colors and jagged lines with a glazed look in their eyes,as good and great as technology is,the mind becomes lazy and even the simplest daily thinking functions are being lost with technologies progress.

collage_8.jpg

One issue we have much more knowledge available to us in any
given moment. May be this makes us seem smarter, but I agree that
this does not make any more intelligent. Just the opposite, we do a lot less
reading and research. We have advantage of getting news and information
more quickly but we can suffer from information overload too.

Thanks for post and the read!

I......ah.......well........all this, just makes my head hurt.:dizzy:.........:grin

Researchers have found that the use of smartphones, internet, etc. has affect the formation of the brains of children and teens. So they don't process information in the same way. I wish I could remember where I had read this. It explains a lot. For example, young people have trouble focusing for long periods of time. It's great for certain tasks, but nothing in- depth. They also have very poor language skills. (Of course, there are exceptions.)
This is scary, because these kids are our future.

I proudly do not own a smart phone and I do not plan on changing that any time soon.

One issue we have much more knowledge available to us in any
given moment. May be this makes us seem smarter, but I agree that
this does not make any more intelligent. Just the opposite, we do a lot less
reading and research. We have advantage of getting news and information
more quickly but we can suffer from information overload too.

Thanks for post and the read!
You're right!
A lot of the can also be inaccurate. There is less sifting to determine fact from fiction. Many people have this idea that if its on the Web, it must be true! (They used to feel that way about good old-fashioned books. LOL.)

You're right!
A lot of the can also be inaccurate. There is less sifting to determine fact from fiction. Many people have this idea that if its on the Web, it must be true! (They used to feel that way about good old-fashioned books. LOL.)

Being one of the few who doesn't purposely have a smartphone I'd be inclined to agree. Then there is the fact that this upcoming generation will never need to use old technology, or our older way of learning in any context in the future. We who weren't born into this techno age are more likely to be slower to develop the skills to keep up with how the world will function from now on. Kind of like when our immigrant ancestors came over each generation has progressed as the world has changed. Do I like it. Not on your life. Do I feel this reliance on the devices is overkill and pathetic and sad and like watching drug induced zombies with the social skills of petulant three year olds who cry when mom is out of sight everytime they have to be seperated from their phone. Yeah I'll fit in very well in the future. When Skynet releases the Terminators on all of us later on I can be one who said I told you so. I think that was sarcasm but since sarcasm doesn't play well on devices was it really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom