The problem with the Seiko Monster - a BW Ramble

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
Bruce Williams
Published on Dec 31, 20

Random Rob
Published on Dec 30, 2018

After over two years of claiming the Monster as the best, I stand by my opinion. Many have agreed with my love for the model and many have ran in fear. Monster remains the best either way.

The Monster....not my favorite looking TIMEpiece. Congrats to those that have it but it's not for me. The Aragon Evo reminds me of this TIMEpiece and I'm not into that either.
Thanks for the video Mike.

Thanks for the videos. It's always interesting to hear others' opinions but all that I can say is that I love my Black Monster. Mine is an old first generation model with the 7S26 movement and on a rubber strap so it's not the fanciest one out there. It also was a pretty good deal compared to what the newer models go for these days.

Thanks for the videos. It's always interesting to hear others' opinions but all that I can say is that I love my Black Monster. Mine is an old first generation model with the 7S26 movement and on a rubber strap so it's not the fanciest one out there. It also was a pretty good deal compared to what the newer models go for these days.

they were common like rain in april with a 1 handle...like MARC from LIW sez they dried up the WIP...voila special iterations much higher price points...

loved the OM old gen long tyme...wish i had it back...BLOODY TOOTH paid low price not so much bonding traded away...

- new monsters very pretty colors...i have swum away from Jaques Cousteau and the steady drip of staccato trigger pulls...jmho for what it's worth

I've always liked these. I don't have one in the collection yet, but someday. :wink:Thanks Mike.

My only complaint about the Monster's has always been the bracelet sizing as they are among my least favorite to size because of my lack of finger touch from years of frost bite as a walking 30 year mail carrier in Minnesota has left my dexterity less then useful for very small collars they use. That's my problem, not the watches. Love the look, love the lume which lasts hours. Wish the newer models were priced like the older models were, but that's a testament to how popular the design has been and the market bears that out in the price raise.

My only complaint about the Monster's has always been the bracelet sizing as they are among my least favorite to size because of my lack of finger touch from years of frost bite as a walking 30 year mail carrier in Minnesota has left my dexterity less then useful for very small collars they use. That's my problem, not the watches. Love the look, love the lume which lasts hours. Wish the newer models were priced like the older models were, but that's a testament to how popular the design has been and the market bears that out in the price raise.

thoughts re pricing...briiliant observation by producer eliminating a popular model and re-intro by sexy pantone tweaking... i.e. inexorable laws of supply and demand and typical brilliant execution by this company

NPaHJPb.jpg

It all comes down to how much someone really likes and wants a watch in their collection. Limited production also helps control the ebb and flow. Seiko actually is helping to not devalue the Monster brand by keeping the prices elevated IMO. I've seen many brands actually lower prices making it hard to even break even. I would pay the price if I wanted a certain model from one of the Japan online stores. There is a $77.00 price spread between the 6R15 (NE15) and the 4R36 (NH36). I would like to see the Monster models with the upgraded movement add a sapphire crystal to make the price more attractive. I've seen Orient do it with the MAKO USA II. "The makeover also came with a set of improved specs worthy of a modern diver, including a sapphire crystal, a 120-click unidirectional bezel, solid end links, and improved luminosity. Unsurprisingly, it was a huge hit."

This Prometheus Jellyfish had the equivalent of the 6R15.

• 14.4mm thick, 44mm wide, 47.2 at the 6.9mm crown.
  • 195g sized to 7.5″ wrist
  • 316L stainless steel case, sapphire crystal with inner anti-reflective coating
  • 90-click unidirection bezel with inset tritium tube
  • Tritium tubes on all three hands and hour markers. Green color except at 12, which is orange.
  • SII NE15A (6R15) automatic movement, handwinding and hacking, quickset date, 40 hour power reserve.
  • Signed, screw-down crown
  • Water resistant to 300m (990ft)
  • 3-link Oyster-style bracelet with screwed, solid links, solid end links, brushed throughout. Clasp is snap closure with signed fliplock and 3 microadjustments.
USD $326.04 (Price valid outside European Union)USD $394.51 (VAT sales tax included)

C4X9TNH.png
nwfE5OI.png

Back
Top Bottom