THE ORIGINAL OMEGA SPEEDMASTER ULTRAMAN

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
SPEEDY TUESDAY – THE ORIGINAL OMEGA SPEEDMASTER ULTRAMAN (REF.145.012-67)

ROBERT-JAN BROER SEP 11, 2018

https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedmaster-ultraman/

Omega-Speedmaster-145.012-67-Ultraman-08407.jpg

Since the release of the Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Ultraman, we get some questions about the original version from 1968. Time for us to recap our article from 2016 about the Speedmaster Ultraman reference 145.012-67. This will give you some more background on the original Speedmaster Ultraman.

For the Speedy Tuesday Ultraman, Omega and us (Fratello) wanted something more colourful, like the 2004 Speedmaster Professional Racing for the Japan market. A few brainstorming sessions later led us to Ultraman. The original Speedmasters with the orange hand from 1968 that can be seen in the 1960s TV series Ultraman are simply amazing and appreciated by many collectors

381d602efa668966fbe6fd4af3bacfb0.jpg

TOHO Studios

An interesting detail was told to us by Omega’s Museum Director regarding the TOHO studios and Tsuburaya productions, responsible for Ultraman and a couple of other movies. The creator of the Ultraman series was Eiji Tsuburaya, was probably a watch collector himself as many of his creations were starring a lot of different interesting watches. More interesting, the Ultraman series were preceded by the Ultra Q series (1966). The Ultra Q series were in black & white and already featured a Speedmaster as well, a reference 105.003.

The series Return of Ultraman (also known as “Ultraman Has Returned”) were the sequel to the Ultraman series and appeared in 1971 and 1972 and were directed by Eiji’s son Hajime Tsuburaya. Instead of black & white, these series were already in colour, of course. An interesting thing to note is that the series have this orange touch. Hence the orange hand Speedmaster doesn’t sound to us as a total coincidence.

Ultraman had to be very speedy and this post makes me remember watching! This Omega homage to the
to the 1968 original is beyond cool. Tanks for sharing this, Mike!

Ultraman had to be very speedy and this post makes me remember watching! This Omega homage to the
to the 1968 original is beyond cool. Tanks for sharing this, Mike!

-makes me remember ULTRAMAN XO96 left coast... taught me plenty..a wicked jones with no quit

-like JQ said...it's a forum- we come they go we go they come...sometimes when life happens hit the pause button...don't strangle on your own panties ...no 5 alarm habanero fires on the forum...if you have to buy an army surplus flame thrower load it with kool-aid laced with mescaline...nobody needs a napalm toxic forum

:outstand: A "Blast from the Past"!:applaud: Thanks Mike.:cheers:

-makes me remember ULTRAMAN XO96 left coast... taught me plenty..a wicked jones with no quit

-like JQ said...it's a forum- we come they go we go they come...sometimes when life happens hit the pause button...don't strangle on your own panties ...no 5 alarm habanero fires on the forum...if you have to buy an army surplus flame thrower load it with kool-aid laced with mescaline...nobody needs a napalm toxic forum
In rare form Mr. B, love it.

Back
Top Bottom