Living in Manhattan....

Status
Not open for further replies.

timecat

Tyme Twister
Founding Member
I can't tell you how often I get "out-watched" here. I'm out at a bar or restaurant, I look over, and someone is wearing an expansive Patek or a Rolex Daytona or a Gold Cartier.

So the other night I went to hear some jazz with my fiance and a buddy of mine who actually writes articles about local jazz bands. Pretty awesome night, so I'm wearing my new Seiko Marinemaster Hi-Beat, feeling like a million bucks.

View attachment 15146

Apparently drinking before a drinking event is a sign of being a lush, so true to form we met at a different bar beforehand to pre game:

View attachment 15147

Around 8:00 pm we went to Gramercy Park Hotel to hear the Brian Newman Quartet. My buddy had written an article about them and honestly they were awesome.

When we got there I looked down at my Marinemaster and it was just glowing! I'm not really sure how it even got a charge....

View attachment 15148

So the band plays two sets with an intermission in between, during which I look over at the guy next to me. He's wearing a solid gold Calibre de Cartier. Rose Gold, on the bracelet. Must be at least a $30 grand watch.

So I ask him, is that the Calibre de Cartier, and he says yes. We start talking about watches, what he owns, etc. Then he hands me the watch and tells me I can wear it while he goes outside for a minute. I can't believe he's going to leave me with this expensive watch, but his friend was right there to keep an eye on me. So I said yes, and switched watches with him--giving him my new Marinemaster to wear.

The watch fits me like a glove, and I'm loving it! Unfortunately I didn't have enough light to get a good photo....

View attachment 15149

After a minute or two, it dawns on me that this could all be a ruse to steal my Seiko, and that the Cartier could be a fake. Stranger things have happened. But no, he came back, we exchanged watches, and all was well.

Then the second set started, and out of nowhere Lady Gaga shows up, dressed in what can only be described as a huge red feather, and did almost the entire last set with the band:

View attachment 15150

It was a night to remember in many ways, and I'll always remember that nice gold Cartier being on my wrist--even though I did get "out-watched" once again!!!

Now that’s an awesome night of music and watches both my favs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Story!:bravo:

Thanx for sharing!

A great story, and very nice of the gentleman to let you, "Test Drive", a wonderful time piece.:dance2: I still think your is great.:wink: Thanks for sharing, TC!:hat:

Great story TC , thanks for passing it along . Last August I was at a Jazz Club in West Village called Fat Cats. The place kinda looked like the typical college dive bar , but the music was cool and the crowd was into it . Gotta love NYC.

Lots of celebrities live in NYC...Several years ago, my wife and I bumped into Jackie Mason (only us old farts would know him) in front of the Russian Tea Room. He spoke with us for a while. He told us he just left Mel Brooks...now that would’ve been something.

Sweet story TC. Only in the NYC could someone Let you wear their 30k TIMEpiece step away and come back for the final set like it's no big deal. Only in America, only in the NYC.

You had a good time and I had a good time reading here about it from you TC Hope you had a good time reading all this good Tyme stuff :cheers:

Sweet story TC. Only in the NYC could someone Let you wear their 30k TIMEpiece step away and come back for the final set like it's no big deal. Only in America, only in the NYC.

EXACTLY! You hit the nail on the head--only in NYC and only in America!

You had a good time and I had a good time reading here about it from you TC Hope you had a good time reading all this good Tyme stuff :cheers:

Ace, I know Ft. Walton, and I used to vacation every summer in Destin as a kid and even in college. I'm quite sure there are amazingly great times to be had in your neck of the woods as well. But next time you are up this way......let's go!

Lots of celebrities live in NYC...Several years ago, my wife and I bumped into Jackie Mason (only us old farts would know him) in front of the Russian Tea Room. He spoke with us for a while. He told us he just left Mel Brooks...now that would’ve been something.

There are so many awesome celebrity stories here.

My ex wife ran into Al Pacino a couple of times on the street--she said he was very nice. And I met Ahmad Rashad (former Vikings wide receiver) at a Mardi Gras party here in the city--what a cool guy.

I also got to speak with Liev Schreiber once at a Whole Foods (too bad his wife wasn't with him!). He was very, very nice.

But the best convo I ever had was with Alec Baldwin in East Hampton. What a great, highly entertaining guy! I coulda sat there all day and listened to him--very cool dude!

Too cool, Robert. I can't compete with that, but I did watch some kids play Frisbee in the street... :dance:

Too cool, Robert. I can't compete with that, but I did watch some kids play Frisbee in the street... :dance:

Gary, I'm sure you have a boatload of stories that would compete with this. This just happened over Memorial Day weekend and had significance in the watch collecting space, so I thought I'd share.....

Makes my night out last night pretty uninteresting here in Mpls.MN. Was out watching a local Prince cover band(who were quite good) when I seen the drummer of the funk band The Time, and Morris Day and the Time, Jellybean Johnson and had a fun conversation with him. Talked to him before at a Soul Asylum concert and at a Boz Scaggs show where I was seated next to him out of odd coincidence. Our local celebs aren't nowhere near as big time as you NYCers. I see live music of some form or another at least 3 or 4 times a month as to me live music is a great release. Plus the range of people you see at shows is pretty great people watching.

Makes my night out last night pretty uninteresting here in Mpls.MN. Was out watching a local Prince cover band(who were quite good) when I seen the drummer of the funk band The Time, and Morris Day and the Time, Jellybean Johnson and had a fun conversation with him. Talked to him before at a Soul Asylum concert and at a Boz Scaggs show where I was seated next to him out of odd coincidence. Our local celebs aren't nowhere near as big time as you NYCers. I see live music of some form or another at least 3 or 4 times a month as to me live music is a great release. Plus the range of people you see at shows is pretty great people watching.

Range of people......I didn't mention this, but you shoulda seen the 2 awesome Eastern European models who were standing on the other side of me from the watch guy. Very friendly, to the point of me worrying that my fiance was going to get upset. I had to almost ignore them, which was not easy......

New York is like, when it's on, it's on!

Gary, I'm sure you have a boatload of stories that would compete with this. This just happened over Memorial Day weekend and had significance in the watch collecting space, so I thought I'd share.....
It was a great story, Robert. The kind of stuff you expect in NY. I didn't mean to sound cynical about it. It's been a long day, and the old guy is kinda tired from walking too many miles in the antique mall. We were really busy today. Please forgive me for my feeble attempt at humor. It's not all my fault - I was raised by a family of clowns. :drink:

p1010121.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom