leelovesbug

Tyme Warper
Staff member
Warper
Deals Master
Founding Member

Long Island Watch
Published on Mar 8, 2018

In today's short video, I'll talk for a few minutes about going to Baselworld 2018. I'll give my thoughts on the show, exhibitors, and the future of the watch industry in general. There is no doubt that over the past decade the watch industry is being transformed, thanks to this thing called the "internet". Believe it or not, some watch brands still haven't figured out they NEED to embrace it.Share your comments below and be sure to subscribe to our channel if you haven't.Thanks for checking it out!

BASELWORLD 2018 EXHIBITORShttps://www.baselworld.com/

NEWS FROM THE BRANDS: https://www.baselworld.com/en-US/News...

VISIT OUR STORE: https://www.longislandwatch.com

I didn't get to watch the video yet but that comment about brands not embracing the internet is so corrent. Frankly most brands I find do an inadequate job of building their websites and embracing the internet.

Even for none collectors people want to see real pics and often will go to check out real life videos of the watches they want. Hell of course that's not limited to watches.

If I'm the brand I want to control what they see as much as possible to know they are seeing the best looking videos, best real life pics etc.

Go to Omega's site. It's laid out well but almost all the pics are renderings. Rolex, Hublot, Oris, Hamilton, Inivcta are all similar. Breitling mixes it up a bit, their website is pretty good. But there are so many pieces out there that you can find real life pics of or videos by all brands. Websites need to be striking, interactive and show the product off as well or better than a boutique to get you to go to the store, or want it so badly that you run to a website and buy it right then and there.

Christopher Ward is pretty good IMO, most models have real pics and most of their videos show the watches. H2O is decent, definetly interactive since you can configure everything.

let me begin any watch I ever bought from MARC LIW has been fast & perfect from his DOD-

-some unpaid chatter about BASEL shrinkage...200 less booths this year... he notes entropy...body in motion tends to stay in motion...meaning...big dogs should raise alarms at the trend and try to counter act the trend before bad stuff gets worse--

this part seems true...as opposed to the paid shills painting a rosy picture as has been posted on this forum- any trade article is suspect since it is paid for by the trade solely to boost sales...no WOODWARD & BERNSTEIN journalism here-

NOW many WITS post Marc's prices seem kinda high...and 3/4 of his vid is about how big trademarks don't give him no respect...and he finds out about their new models at the trade fair ...already being shipped to department stores...freezing him out... no comment -- his issues are duly noted-

- important fact he brings up is about the WIP...WORKS IN PROGRESS... all these announcements lately ...this model discontinued etc....well he says those pipelines and supply lines are long and the models still get supplied for years by THE WIP...

i.e. the " discontinuance " notices have a big effect on boosting sales as people rush to buy " discontinued " models... so are discontinuance notices skillful marketing trojan devices ?

- some honesty here by Marc ...not used to seeing that... as for MARCs struggles...got no dog in that cage...i like to watch..

-

Wouldn't we all like to go to the Basel Watch Fair? Lee let's book a trip for WITS.

I need to win a big lottery first...which will be tough because I don't play.

Invicta cruise to Portugal and then a flight to Baselworld from there, that's a cruise I would be all in for.

let me begin any watch I ever bought from MARC LIW has been fast & perfect from his DOD-

-some unpaid chatter about BASEL shrinkage...200 less booths this year... he notes entropy...body in motion tends to stay in motion...meaning...big dogs should raise alarms at the trend and try to counter act the trend before bad stuff gets worse--

this part seems true...as opposed to the paid shills painting a rosy picture as has been posted on this forum- any trade article is suspect since it is paid for by the trade solely to boost sales...no WOODWARD & BERNSTEIN journalism here-

NOW many WITS post Marc's prices seem kinda high...and 3/4 of his vid is about how big trademarks don't give him no respect...and he finds out about their new models at the trade fair ...already being shipped to department stores...freezing him out... no comment -- his issues are duly noted-

- important fact he brings up is about the WIP...WORKS IN PROGRESS... all these announcements lately ...this model discontinued etc....well he says those pipelines and supply lines are long and the models still get supplied for years by THE WIP...

i.e. the " discontinuance " notices have a big effect on boosting sales as people rush to buy " discontinued " models... so are discontinuance notices skillful marketing trojan devices ?

- some honesty here by Marc ...not used to seeing that... as for MARCs struggles...got no dog in that cage...i like to watch..

-

What ScottyB just said ....... View attachment 13814

I don't know Marc as some of you do. Never bought a watch from him either. He does attend these event so
he in entitled to his musings about trends in Baselworld / watch industry. His comments about 200 < micro brands in attendance does seems a little troubling. Will the big dogs even notice, I wonder as Mr. B noted ? We all know George on Seinfeld's reaction to shrinkage. LOL

We all know George on Seinfeld's reaction to shrinkage. LOL

826a6665f9ac0b2be53e82eb2de104d3f97395b0dc848c5d95cb3f685f5c7a6d.jpg

Maybe Baselworld was in the pool, hence the smaller 2018 show compared to in previous years.

I’ll be going with my son again this year. It was an incredible event last year. Some of you may remember the tons of watch pics. We met with Stan of DB and had an incredible amount of horological overload. I’ll try to take some relevant pics and post them.

I’ll be going with my son again this year. It was an incredible event last year. Some of you may remember the tons of watch pics. We met with Stan of DB and had an incredible amount of horological overload. I’ll try to take some relevant pics and post them.

Thanks Richard! And I look forward to your pictures and comments. Wishing you and your son a great TIME.

Thanks Richard! And I look forward to your pictures and comments. Wishing you and your son a great TIME.

second that...WIT correspondent please check in...and how is the food ?

Reports are Invicta isn't going this year. If so that cruise probably is probably their big promotion this year. Usually they put up one monster display. Timing and trying to plan two things back to back and splurge twice probably not economically smart.

Reports are Invicta isn't going this year. If so that cruise probably is probably their big promotion this year. Usually they put up one monster display. Timing and trying to plan two things back to back and splurge twice probably not economically smart.

that E don't have a jet and yacht for nothing...I may not pull trigger on yellow box but as my buying of yellow box has decreased my respect for his business acumen has increased inversely proportional-

- seems like he made the right move- he seems to be swimming upstream... he got the instincts of a salmon...kudos earned

- numbers and anectotes on BASEL this year are concerning - not for me- just a front row seat- I like to watch-

second that...WIT correspondent please check in...and how is the food ?

The food was great ScottyB, but I don’t eat haute, at least, not when traveling at the speed of light. My son and I eat budget because it’s all about the watches. Seriously, last tyme we should have taken it slow, but it was all new and a dip into France and Germany. This tyme it’s all over Schweiz (Geneva, the Valle de Joux) with 2 days at Basel. Last year proved that 2 full days at Baselworld was enough even not to see everything because it’s hard not to get watch overload stopping at every boutique/display.

Richard....can’t believe its a year already...

I agree, Bob. It seems like just last week we went. Well, the way vendors are pulling away from Baselworld, including Breitling thinking of switching to SIHH, who knows, this could be our last trip. It’s definitely not the last to Switzerland, though. Great people; great place with much to see. French-speaking to the left with watch mania. German-speaking for the majority with some of the most beautiful mountains and Italian-speakers to the south. It’s really a special country IMHO.

Have a wonderful time, Richard. Looking forward to your photos, and opinion.:hand:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom