Aquatico Blue Angel

dorothyparker

Tyme Traveler
Ordered on November 8 and in today. It was delivered on a day with no sunshine, so this is the best I could do. $149.00 and 40mm, so what did I have to lose?
It was wrapped in two four foot long pieces of bubble wrap, I think a carton of eggs had a chance of making it in all that.
After being debubbled I had this. Pretty typical of watches from China that I’ve gotten in the past.

I saw a link posted at another site, to a dive watch from this company and I stumbled on this one. Although they call it a pilot watch, I guess they have one watch box to ship their watches in.

This came in the box.

They had them in blue, grey, black and this one. I liked the contrast of the sun ray inner dial to the pressed circles on the outer dial. I was confused on if there were orange or red highlights on it because the stock photos showed up as red, but the review here https://www.watchitallabout.com/aquatico-blue-angels-watch-review/ had them as orange. I would also like to say that the pictures in this review are awesome, much better than mine, but I think his pictures make the watch look nicer than it really is. Mine don’t do it justice, but his over flatter it. His review makes it sound and look like this is a lot of watch for $149.00 and it’s not. I mean, I’m not upset with what I got, but I got a $149.00 watch...I’ve done worse and have worse, I’m ok with it.

A close up of the dial shows some roughness and cheap hands that is hard to detect from a short distance. The date window has some roughness and my circular press isn’t as stand out as I would like. The lumed numbers aren’t as bad as I would have guessed, but not great and the lume lasts about as long as an Invicta.

It has a signed crown with a dolphin and the lugs angle down to help hide they are so long. The strap is quite thick and at first I thought it would be a good strap, you’ll see a picture on that later.

Here is the straps that come with it, one signed buckle. I bent the strap back a little to flatten it out so it would sit right for a picture and it went into distressed mode immediately. You can see the area I flattened out compared to the area I didn’t flatten. The guy who did the review, I posted a link to, raves on this strap. I’m not seeing it, I think this will be toast with two to three weeks of daily wear, perhaps less. Forget about getting it damp or sweating in it, I think it will turn to leprosy. I will look for a better strap for it, I may have one, 22mm isn’t something I usually keep on hand though. I’ll experiment with various bracelets and pilot straps til I find one I like. Until then, I’ll see how long this one will last.

I can’t tell if this is connected to the glass or the back of the movement. Hopefully it isn’t attached to anything that would alter the performance of the movement because I think I would like to remove the plane. It is tacky to me, thankfully I won’t see it while wearing it. The NH35A isn’t bad.

Overall I like the look of the watch, I didn’t get the deal of the century, but I didn’t get ripped off either. It will have a place in my hoard, like I said I’ve done worse. Time will tell, I’ll wear it a few days and report any ugliness that comes up.

Congrats. I'm glad you knew what to expect. I agree about some of these reviews and photos (glamour shots) can be deceiving. Just like some celebrities are unrecognizable without makeup, looks can be deceiving sometimes from a camera. Lume is a prime example. I've seen companies including Wing show great lume photos, but the longevity of the lume is almost nonexistent. I've never been disappointed from the lume on a lower priced Seiko with good amounts of LumiBrite.

aquatico-blue-angels-17.jpg

:headbang:
The dial is loaded with Superluminova GLC3 and BGW9 (I’m not sure which is used where) – it’s really strong and impressive. I’ve found it charges quickly and glows brightly even in the day.

aquatico-blue-angels-21.jpg

Overall, I’m not disappointed in the watch, I like it. The style, colors and size is along the lines of something I had been looking at only cheaper. I am disappointed in the review I looked at, people who get watches donated to them for review seem to never have a bad review.

Sorry, I disagree with that assessment. Do some reviewers play that game? Sure. I know many who will give an honest review and are told to keep the watch. Elshan from Zelos for instance, has given many watches to reviewers and they were told to keep them. I've seen the majority of them list the pros and cons which I know is true because of owning the pieces. Certain forums frown and ridicule many reviewers, especially the YouTube ones.

The guy who does this review is one of those I would not trust.

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.php?65488-WARNING!-Be-aware-of-YouTuber-Mavrick-watches

I like the whole vibe of your Blue Angel and you were very complete in your comments. A big congrats
and thanks for sharing DP.

Sorry, I disagree with that assessment. Do some reviewers play that game? Sure. I know many who will give an honest review and are told to keep the watch. Elshan from Zelos for instance, has given many watches to reviewers and they were told to keep them. I've seen the majority of them list the pros and cons which I know is true because of owning the pieces. Certain forums frown and ridicule many reviewers, especially the YouTube ones.

The guy who does this review is one of those I would not trust.

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.php?65488-WARNING!-Be-aware-of-YouTuber-Mavrick-watches

True. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what is real and what is fluff. Common sense is a good approach for a buyer, I went into it thinking his review was probably fluff, but I wasn’t going to lose much. I am happy with the watch and don’t feel like I lost anything. I prefer opinions of people on forums who I trust and have a watch I’m interested in rather than a professional reviewer though, but even that can be tough.
Kickstarter had a watch several years back, the COURG. People on forums were singing the praises of it and how awesome it was and the deal of the year. People were selling them for more than they paid. I waited and got one that was like new for a dirt cheap price, super dirt cheap. It was the most underwhelming watch I ever had. I couldn’t understand the hype, then I realized they probably hyped it so they could resell it and not lose money. I wasn’t mad because I paid so little to discover the truth, but some people got suckered on that one big time.

Back
Top Bottom