Alpha mechanical chronograph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerard the Grunt

Tyme Teller
Probably the most affordable non-quartz chronograph one can buy

I'm not ready to pull the trigger on it yet but thought it'd be nice to share. I heard about this watch awhile ago but was doubtful about its quality. Now there is a review here which sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Maybe it's a decent watch after all

Love the appearance of this piece. I have been close to buying it but have only hesitated because of its size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinese junk

I am sorry, take my comment back, the Chinese make great movements for the price

I will buy Swiss quartz or Japanese autos under duress imho

For under 2 Hun I'd be willing to take a chance with one , quality not withstanding. I don't wear the same watch everyday , so the mov't is not going to get beat up from overwork. One of the criticisms of these Chinese copy cat mov'ts are the parts are not finely finished when viewed under magnification and this might be a factor in mov't longevity and reliability. Time will tell if they have improved their manufacturing processes and quality to offset this criticism.

For a very long time this is one of the few affordable mechanical chrono options. There just aren't many that use the ST19 movement.

Sorry I have no first hand experience with it... Good luck though!!

That particular Alpha is a little too blatant for my taste. It takes "homage" right to the edge and perhaps gives it a solid push off the cliff.

vOEWATs.jpg

If I had to have a panda I'd probably go for one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/ORIENT-Neo70...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N45QCQ6MQJG48DX5MFKQ

8IhyVev.jpg

The Orient is quartz but is also free of Alpha's obsession to ape Rolex so size might be more amenable in some models.

I generally prefer automatic to quartz but in the case of an Alpha automatic vs. an Orient quartz the equation gets more complicated for me. Typically any lead Alpha might have due to an automatic movement can be squandered if it looks too much like a Rolex - and this one does.

nice HU...non use for tachymeter complication since i do not race cars or fly air planes

I have always liked those Alpha Paul Newman automatic chrono's.

I think they look fantastic. Always wanted one. But I think they are now out of Australia(?) I have heard of problems with them shipping (order's not correct, some arriving damaged). Don't know if they have corrected those issues yet or not.

But...as for the watch itself. For around $200, that's a heck of a good deal for a mechanical chrono that looks that good.

Joe C>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom