Why I will no longer sell watches on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

javaqueen

Tyme Traveler
Founding Member
I try to stay away from ebay these days, but tried to raise a little cash.

The new ebay is a horror. I had placed a watch on 30-day sale. I had never used that option and made an error. Well, I didn't want to pay ebay anymore in fees.

I forgot all about it. I went away to care for my friend's cats and I was not home. Someone bought the watch. I apologized and told him that I wasn't around and that I would happily refund his money. I didn't care. The watch was only listed for less than $60. No problem. He wanted it. He wanted it ASAP. I said I wasn't around and that he wouldn't get it soon. He agreed to wait until I got back. When I returned, I wrapped the watch carefully and even put in a real watch box. Then I paid the $13 to mail to him. He took a while to get back to me. Unfortunately, (according to him), the pin came lose and he had it reattached. Could I please refund $8?
I apologized, but right now I have been in a tight squeeze, they processed my invoice late. Sad that I didn't have the $8. I had to wait until I received payment from a vendor. No response. Last night I refunded the money. I guess it was a week. But the guy was a total jerk about this. "Still waiting on my credit." It has been my experience that the cheapest transactions cause the most trouble. Snarky dude. I had a perfect 100 percent for 16 years. Bye bye.

If you ever want the name of this guy, I will be happy to provide it.

That sucks. I haven't had a problem yet. The only problems I have had is with no payments. I had a TechnoMarine I listed and sold 5 times. 4 times were no payments, and then the 5th time I went almost 24 hours before getting paid, on a buy it now. I don't understand how that happens, but damn it was frustrating. Beside that though, I have sold about a dozen watches on there over the last 2 months and have another dozen listed on there now, with another 2 dozen or so to list. While I hate their fees, they seem to sell my stuff and I make a small profit.

It's not about the fees. I have been doing selling since 2001. The way they have structured listings, etc. makes it difficult. They control pricing, etc.

It used to be a lot better. I always ways had trouble with cheapskates. I don't care what the item is. More expensive items drew classier people on both sides of the equation. People really don't have to be rude. I try my best, I am not zappos or amazon. Usually have been able to push through. One occasion when I could not was 9/11. That' why it ticks me off.
The Buy it Now people who don't pay right away. I don't get that either. Now means now.

I gave this guy an option with a refund right off the bat. And pushed for it. I really didn't want to do business with him. Had that feeling that he would be a pain in the neck.

Yeah that is always a pain. I have a few watches that are less expensive, and they are hard. I use a BIN OBO style. I find so many people offering me nothing. That really fries me too. I had a Tissot Seastar 1000 I was selling. New they sell for about $500 unless there is a deal on TOM or something. I figured for a nearly new watch I would be able to get 400 out of it without a problem. I had people offering me less than $200 because it wasn't new so that makes it worth less than half. I watched one sell the day before I listed mine for 325 used. I settled with someone at 350 and called it a day. The people of eBay, myself included, surprise me at what they are willing to try. But I am in the same boat, I offered a guy half price for a watch that I liked. He had it at 60 and I hit him at 30 because he said the crystal was cracked. I knew it was only a chip, and he took it. Just one of those things.

Good luck with eBay if you ever decide to head back and try your hand at selling there again.

It's not about the fees. I have been doing selling since 2001. The way they have structured listings, etc. makes it difficult. They control pricing, etc.

It used to be a lot better. I always ways had trouble with cheapskates. I don't care what the item is. More expensive items drew classier people on both sides of the equation. People really don't have to be rude. I try my best, I am not zappos or amazon. Usually have been able to push through. One occasion when I could not was 9/11. That' why it ticks me off.
The Buy it Now people who don't pay right away. I don't get that either. Now means now.

I gave this guy an option with a refund right off the bat. And pushed for it. I really didn't want to do business with him. Had that feeling that he would be a pain in the neck.

Thanks for reading my vent. I have better luck with handbags. Watches are tough these days. A lot of people are into smart watches, etc. I never expect more than 50 percent from a watch sale. It would have to be practically new. Maybe it's easy to forget that most of the world isn't comprised of "watch people." That being said, they don't attach that much value to watches. Unless it's a Brietling, Rolly or Cartier. The economy has also changed greatly and many people don't have the disposable income to spend. I always did well selling women's Renato watches.
I've sold bags, books, CDs, collectibles. I just might not be selling watches. Only time will tell. :)

I feel your pain. Unfortunately it's the easiest medium to reach buyers of watches. I used to sell on a number of watch forums but it got really hard to move stuff even when reducing the price to a ridiculous amount.

I have been mostly lucky on eBay. I price them fairly as BIN OBO and automatically reject offers below a certain amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to stay away from ebay these days, but tried to raise a little cash.

The new ebay is a horror. I had placed a watch on 30-day sale. I had never used that option and made an error. Well, I didn't want to pay ebay anymore in fees.

I forgot all about it. I went away to care for my friend's cats and I was not home. Someone bought the watch. I apologized and told him that I wasn't around and that I would happily refund his money. I didn't care. The watch was only listed for less than $60. No problem. He wanted it. He wanted it ASAP. I said I wasn't around and that he wouldn't get it soon. He agreed to wait until I got back. When I returned, I wrapped the watch carefully and even put in a real watch box. Then I paid the $13 to mail to him. He took a while to get back to me. Unfortunately, (according to him), the pin came lose and he had it reattached. Could I please refund $8?
I apologized, but right now I have been in a tight squeeze, they processed my invoice late. Sad that I didn't have the $8. I had to wait until I received payment from a vendor. No response. Last night I refunded the money. I guess it was a week. But the guy was a total jerk about this. "Still waiting on my credit." It has been my experience that the cheapest transactions cause the most trouble. Snarky dude. I had a perfect 100 percent for 16 years. Bye bye.

If you ever want the name of this guy, I will be happy to provide it.

you Will get screwed on some transactions but you make it up on volume, business as usual bruh!!

Yeah that is always a pain. I have a few watches that are less expensive, and they are hard. I use a BIN OBO style. I find so many people offering me nothing. That really fries me too. I had a Tissot Seastar 1000 I was selling. New they sell for about $500 unless there is a deal on TOM or something. I figured for a nearly new watch I would be able to get 400 out of it without a problem. I had people offering me less than $200 because it wasn't new so that makes it worth less than half. I watched one sell the day before I listed mine for 325 used. I settled with someone at 350 and called it a day. The people of eBay, myself included, surprise me at what they are willing to try. But I am in the same boat, I offered a guy half price for a watch that I liked. He had it at 60 and I hit him at 30 because he said the crystal was cracked. I knew it was only a chip, and he took it. Just one of those things.

Good luck with eBay if you ever decide to head back and try your hand at selling there again.

Sometimes it pays to maker a loved watch a "beater" than give it away lol

buyers have had many years to hone their techniques-

anonymity of web makes rudeness E-Z

that said the fact pattern here gave the buyer a lot of time to contemplate his next move-

JQ's assessment seems accurate ...therefore if u sell fish on the bay like OG said u have to expect a fair amount of problems
and build it in to your " business " model-

- i don't do it anymore don't want to rock the BP

I bought the watch used with the intent of selling it. I was in it under $300 after fees were paid and I sold it in a few days, so I'm not upset, just hate when I can't get what I really think I should be able to. I have been buying watches by the box and replacing bands, batteries, and doing the occasional repair to turn around and turn them for a profit. Helps pay for my addiction, plus I get to play with all kinds of different watches and watch brands that I wouldn't normally pick up or even look at.

Sometimes it pays to maker a loved watch a "beater" than give it away lol

I bought the watch used with the intent of selling it. I was in it under $300 after fees were paid and I sold it in a few days, so I'm not upset, just hate when I can't get what I really think I should be able to. I have been buying watches by the box and replacing bands, batteries, and doing the occasional repair to turn around and turn them for a profit. Helps pay for my addiction, plus I get to play with all kinds of different watches and watch brands that I wouldn't normally pick up or even look at.

U R A BETTER MAN THAN ME CHARLIE BROWN... but it is like a flipper fixing houses... u got sweat equity in the watches...so your time is value added...but u enjoy it so it's a hobby-

My one and only eBay negative rating came from a lady I sold a watch to for $11. In general I think people suck , I see eBay as a necessary evil. I need it to purchase from time to time, and sometimes to sell , but for me I avoid it whenever possible.

I'd rather sell to you all here but sometimes if I have to move a piece I have to resort to the bay if it sits on the FSBO forum. I'd rather not but sometimes we do. I have cancelled bids for those with low or negative ratings.

I put a lot of restrictions in my profile. And I make BIN immediate payment.

One of my most difficult sales was of a Bible. It was a special women's study Bible. I sold it September 10, 2001. Well, we know what happened in NYC on 9/11/2001. Postal service devastated by this national tragedy. Not only that, we had crazy scares with mail and anthrax very soon after. It was a nightmare.

This "godly" woman really gave me trouble. Why didn't I have her package mailed. Shame on me, etc. It was horrible. Finally, I had to ssay really, I live in NYC and we had the attacks, etc. She was in Alabama in her own little world.
It was over a Bible. The irony of it. What could I do? Put up with it. I had a few other crazies. That one gets the all-time prize.

Most humans simply suck at life and waste our oxygen.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom