What’s The Deal With Big Watch Sizes?

Quite so. But I wonder if you've discovered another type of feedback loop.

A significant minority (couldn't really guess what percentage) of folks that were interested by large watches cited their attention getting aspect as a reason for the purchase.

Will people no longer noticing a large watch contribute to the speed of its decline?

-wonder if we will see rising prices from tarriffs crimping demand ? maybe a confluence of being on the wrong side of fashion ...and drawing negative attention...not feeling any predictions...

-will leave as a jump ball for any wits donning the aluminum foil crown

Is the trend over? I don't know, don't pay much attention to what others are doing or buying, just what I like.
Something I've noticed with myself, large looks normal now. And small looks, well, silly on me. Much like Scotty said above, my bigger body parts need a larger accessory to look right.
One of these days this silly debate/argument is going to go away. One would think after a decade or two such bemoaning of the merits of large vs small would have abated. Size matters. But then it really doesn't. Persective, folks. Get your own, keep it that way.

Is the trend over? I don't know, don't pay much attention to what others are doing or buying, just what I like.
Something I've noticed with myself, large looks normal now. And small looks, well, silly on me. Much like Scotty said above, my bigger body parts need a larger accessory to look right.
One of these days this silly debate/argument is going to go away. One would think after a decade or two such bemoaning of the merits of large vs small would have abated. Size matters. But then it really doesn't. Persective, folks. Get your own, keep it that way.

I'm going to get my feelings hurt if you keep jumping over my posts. Ok, not really.

The general consensus is that there is no argument or debate. We could start one perhaps as a justification for cake vs. K-Pop?

I'm going to get my feelings hurt if you keep jumping over my posts. Ok, not really.

The general consensus is that there is no argument or debate. We could start one perhaps as a justification for cake vs. K-Pop?

No argument or debate? Good. We sure seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to justify our choices though.

I have no idea what K-pop is so I'd just look at your with my best Spock eye brows and say "Fascinating!"

For that matter, I don't know what you mean by "jumping over my posts" either. Sorry. I'll keep watching to see if I can figure it out though.

No argument or debate? Good. We sure seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to justify our choices though.

I have no idea what K-pop is so I'd just look at your with my best Spock eye brows and say "Fascinating!"

For that matter, I don't know what you mean by "jumping over my posts" either. Sorry. I'll keep watching to see if I can figure it out though.

Allow me an excerpt:

Size is a function of fashion and I don't view that as a negative. And we're getting more and more folks with eclectic collections with sizes all over the place which eliminates the need, if any such thing ever existed, to "take sides" or debate the matter.

Included above and below that post were folks talking about their preferences without putting down anything from 34mm to 58mm. A statement of preference is a statement of preference only and not usually associated with either an argument or a debate where one side attempts to prevail over the other. Reasons for preferences are not justification in the sense that it serves to "de-justify" other preferences.

I'm surprised you're unfamiliar with K-pop; it's the single biggest factor in usurping cake's vaunted position as a defusing agent.

The international trend is indeed to smaller watches and this is a simple observation of current fashion to which I appended the observation: "But it won't constitute a burning need for anyone to revise a collection."

My more recent post was intended to be mostly humorous but if I might touch on something that's only moderately serious: There's been some angst lately both about "arguments" and "negativity" and it's my contention that while correct much of the time there exists some amount of seeing negativity or conflict where none actually is evident.

When charges of arguments, debates or negativity reach critical mass, even when unjustified, then forum naval gazing results, Steve might close a thread, Wambo will smooth things over but mostly pictures of cake and videos of K-Pop babes will be gratuitously deployed. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I have a preference for the Asian babe defusing agent but I'm biased.

I noted that I can go from 50mm to 37mm and it's seems perfectly natural. You and at least one other don't feel comfortable when going from one to the next. Fine, there's no argument over the validity of such a thing. It's as valid as not being uncomfortable.

But I'm not seeing the "debate / argument" that you allude to - this post doesn't count - work with me here.

It would truly be ironic if an argument started over the existence of a different argument so I don't intend to pursue the matter further. l believed that in some cases phantom negativity was being reported and I've satisfied myself of at least one example. Much like capturing a unicorn it only takes one to prove existence.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

Allow me an excerpt:

Included above and below that post were folks talking about their preferences without putting down anything from 34mm to 58mm. A statement of preference is a statement of preference only and not usually associated with either an argument or a debate where one side attempts to prevail over the other. Reasons for preferences are not justification in the sense that it serves to "de-justify" other preferences.

I'm surprised you're unfamiliar with K-pop; it's the single biggest factor in usurping cake's vaunted position as a defusing agent.

The international trend is indeed to smaller watches and this is a simple observation of current fashion to which I appended the observation: "But it won't constitute a burning need for anyone to revise a collection."

My more recent post was intended to be mostly humorous but if I might touch on something that's only moderately serious: There's been some angst lately both about "arguments" and "negativity" and it's my contention that while correct much of the time there exists some amount of seeing negativity or conflict where none actually is evident.

When charges of arguments, debates or negativity reach critical mass, even when unjustified, then forum naval gazing results, Steve might close a thread, Wambo will smooth things over but mostly pictures of cake and videos of K-Pop babes will be gratuitously deployed. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I have a preference for the Asian babe defusing agent but I'm biased.

I noted that I can go from 50mm to 37mm and it's seems perfectly natural. You and at least one other don't feel comfortable when going from one to the next. Fine, there's no argument over the validity of such a thing. It's as valid as not being uncomfortable.

But I'm not seeing the "debate / argument" that you allude to - this post doesn't count - work with me here.

It would truly be ironic if an argument started over the existence of a different argument so I don't intend to pursue the matter further. l believed that in some cases phantom negativity was being reported and I've satisfied myself of at least one example. Much like capturing a unicorn it only takes one to prove existence.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

And thank you for that clarification.

I actually LOL'd at this because it's true.

It would truly be ironic if an argument started over the existence of a different argument ...

Now I get the reference to K-pop. I've noticed the trend as well as it's ability to usurp the ubiquitous cake. I also find that I may even prefer it to the cake and admit that cake + Asian babes could overload my own circuits. The ability of K-pop to railroad a discussion may well be a curse, however, as it could much quicker lead to material that could get a thread locked or axed completely. So I'll be sticking to cake. No need to cause consternation with folks of a lessor mind or constitution who might yet hold traumatic memories of something that may or may not have happened nearly 40 years ago during a mind fogging party that may or may not have occurred at an age of childhood where stupid choices may or may not have lead to other choices that may or may not have occurred that nobody who was said to be at the claimed party can remember may or may not have happened.

The world needs more cake. And maybe a little less K-pop. It's for the children.

Too much cake doesn't do the body good. Beer, drugs, cake and many other things in excess can produce unpleasant results. Even King Kong stuffing excess amounts of cake into his pie hole would cause certain body parts to expand in negative ways. Straps and bracelets would no longer fit, agility could become sluggish, forget about foggy watch crystals. Your blood sugar levels would spike high and experience increased irritability and or brain fog. The days of super-sizing everything has not only grown the waist size of people. Hospitals and holes in the ground have been filling faster than a cake lovers stomach inside a pastry shop.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

like RW sez.. crematoria smoking over tyme... and i don't mean no doobie...abstinence shrinks the wrist bone..size matters... if your wrist shrinks the only way u want THE WEIGHT is by THE BAND

And thank you for that clarification.

I actually LOL'd at this because it's true.

Now I get the reference to K-pop. I've noticed the trend as well as it's ability to usurp the ubiquitous cake. I also find that I may even prefer it to the cake and admit that cake + Asian babes could overload my own circuits. The ability of K-pop to railroad a discussion may well be a curse, however, as it could much quicker lead to material that could get a thread locked or axed completely. So I'll be sticking to cake. No need to cause consternation with folks of a lessor mind or constitution who might yet hold traumatic memories of something that may or may not have happened nearly 40 years ago during a mind fogging party that may or may not have occurred at an age of childhood where stupid choices may or may not have lead to other choices that may or may not have occurred that nobody who was said to be at the claimed party can remember may or may not have happened.

The world needs more cake. And maybe a little less K-pop. It's for the children.

I concur.

To be sure a K-Pop video was the last post in a thread that did get locked.

There are, of course, varying degrees of K-Pop. South Korea is a surprisingly conservative country and there have been some efforts to tone down the more memorable examples. Unsurprisingly I made note of the ten most controversial videos and the one that preceded the lock was on that list.

So I'm left wondering: was it the K-pop video that inspired the lock or was it that particular K-pop video or was it simply the fact that the thread had already left the rails so far behind you couldn't find the rails with a spotting scope?

I believe Steve would advise if I were to PM him on the matter but after due consideration I believe that some mysteries are better left unknown or perhaps learned gradually through experimentation with lengthy pauses between experiments.

I will be more circumspect with the remaining nine of the "top ten" videos that got the Korean censors spun up like a WW2 air raid siren. Then again, it's been a long dry spell without any K-Pop mostly because there's been no need for a defusing agent recently nor has there been any evidence of a 60 minute YouTube video shot from the back of a van by someone who just recently figured out that painted on fake subdials just might be indicative of a bogus watch (such videos being the only other K-pop triggering event).

If I might be permitted a short derail interjection before we return to regular programming, a media outlet called Kotaku East did an explanatory piece on the cultural differences pushing the K-pop babes to be less, well, provocative. This included an experiment where teen male Koreans were hooked up to brain wave monitors and forced to watch K-pop. Predictably their brains turned to mush. Any impact on their wrists or forearms was not disclosed. In deference to the fact that the thread hasn't yet been derailed I will include only a link making viewing of same voluntary though I believe it's SFW - perhaps dependent on where one works.

https://kotaku.com/kpop-groups-called-too-sexy-for-south-korea-1516457265

Some are. Some are most assuredly not if my olde eyes are any indication.

Your honor, I ask that the following be entered into evidence as exhibit A:

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.p...irst-look-at-the-Maori-Shark!��

I couldn't read that thing if it was 500mm diameter. It is perhaps one of the better recent examples of a 34mm 1960 Rolex being easier to read than a large watch.
Got to agree, but was talking about normal watches not invcta or other stylized futuristic etc., thanks for pointing out the error of my ways -chris

Got to agree, but was talking about normal watches not invcta or other stylized futuristic etc., thanks for pointing out the error of my ways -chris

Quite so - understood.

I would suppose that, barring styling, larger would generally be more legible. My Ball Aviator stood out to me due to the miniscule date display and, now that I think about it, possibly because the date is in a dark-ish red to boot.

Aragon, as per your sig line, seems generally to have legibility commensurate with size.

One wouldn't have to go far to find a large Invicta that was extremely legible. The Admiral COSC comes to mind. Large and with hardly any bezel:

YcrWqnb.jpg

To me the bigger the bezel on a dive-type watch the more crowded the dial becomes. In extreme cases a huge bezel in a 50mm plus watch crowds the actual dial into a space more akin to that of a non-dive 40mm. Dive watches should perhaps be over 40mm simply to compensate for reduced dial real estate for those of us caught without our reading glasses.

giphy.gif

Unless I'm in a cave or a deserted island and have lost total track of time, I have no need for a date. In most cases I prefer a no-date option to keep the dial clean.

36264874990_d29000f8a2_c.jpg

26099619267_720a49520a_b.jpg

39081192875_1d949ce0eb_c.jpg
201015-Elshan-Nov37013--White-copy_1024x1024.jpg

28155605509_957501a4e9_b.jpg
38652358792_5740425019_b.jpg

My biggest Ball to date at 46mm. The day/date is very easy to read, but I could do without the cut-outs being in the dial.

34503774550_a9b7383f09_c.jpg

44079270175_1dc4b34534_h.jpg

I'm still getting used to retirement. Sometimes I have to look up the day of the week.

Unless I'm in a cave or a deserted island and have lost total track of time, I have no need for a date. In most cases I prefer a no-date option to keep the dial clean.

My biggest Ball to date at 46mm. The day/date is very easy to read, but I could do without the cut-outs being in the dial.

The Ball I was belly-aching about earlier:

r9bmbxv.jpg

Get a load of that date.

I'd have to concede the thread has taught be something about my own watch. It's definitely more the color than the size that makes the date unreadable.

As to clean dials I have just the thing - pity it's not mine.

EtJ6edy.jpg

39mm and 53,000 bucks of pure legible.

Too much of anything is a bad thing. Moderation is key. Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins.

Back
Top Bottom